Forums
April 18, 2024, 02:23 PM

Author Topic: Do you believe in the existence of aliens?  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Aladdin

Do you believe in the existence of aliens?
« on: July 22, 2019, 01:11 AM »
The universe is very large. Very, very, very large indeed. It has a lot of planets in it. Our technological prowess is not even close to sufficient for getting out there to directly inspect any of those other planets (we haven’t even been to Mars in person yet), but we can tell the planets exist. It therefore seems rather likely that, among the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets (count ‘em) in the observable universe, and an unknowable number beyond, there is at least one other with a significant biosphere, with complicated native organisms. Where there are complicated organisms, there is the potential for personhood to be achieved, though not necessarily in a form we’d readily recognize or find comforting to meet.

As my credential for this topic mentions, I don’t believe that aliens are lurking in our midst or any such thing; UFOs are not credible in my eyes, never have been. But it’s really quite a bizarre idea that, in all the planets out there that could, none of them have or one day will have life on them. There’s just so many, and our own existence proves that life is possible. And our sapience proves that sapience is possible.

Meeting any aliens is another matter. I’m kind of hoping that some sort of FTL method will be developed at some point in history, though I would be surprised if that were possible at all and absolutely flabbergasted if it were figured out within my own lifetime. It would probably permanently blow my mind. Maybe we’ll figure out cryogenics instead, that sounds more plausible.

Offline Xrayez

Re: Do you believe in the existence of aliens?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 10:04 AM »
It therefore seems rather likely that, among the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets (count ‘em) in the observable universe, and an unknowable number beyond, there is at least one other with a significant biosphere, with complicated native organisms.

I second this, I don't think we're that unique and important as we think we are.  :D

Maybe we’ll figure out cryogenics instead, that sounds more plausible.

I'm afraid the consciousness might not survive even at cryogenic state, so if you do wake up, that's not going to be the real you anymore.

Offline Ytrojan

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 12:20 PM »
The universe is very large. Very, very, very large indeed. It has a lot of planets in it. Our technological prowess is not even close to sufficient for getting out there to directly inspect any of those other planets (we haven’t even been to Mars in person yet), but we can tell the planets exist. It therefore seems rather likely that, among the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets (count ‘em) in the observable universe, and an unknowable number beyond, there is at least one other with a significant biosphere, with complicated native organisms. Where there are complicated organisms, there is the potential for personhood to be achieved, though not necessarily in a form we’d readily recognize or find comforting to meet.

As my credential for this topic mentions, I don’t believe that aliens are lurking in our midst or any such thing; UFOs are not credible in my eyes, never have been. But it’s really quite a bizarre idea that, in all the planets out there that could, none of them have or one day will have life on them. There’s just so many, and our own existence proves that life is possible. And our sapience proves that sapience is possible.

Meeting any aliens is another matter. I’m kind of hoping that some sort of FTL method will be developed at some point in history, though I would be surprised if that were possible at all and absolutely flabbergasted if it were figured out within my own lifetime. It would probably permanently blow my mind. Maybe we’ll figure out cryogenics instead, that sounds more plausible.
Well, the Naruto Runners to Area 51 might find that out for themselves.
As for me, I feel like aliens exist.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:10 AM by MonkeyIsland »
Imagine What a Buck Could Do!

I now declare a brand new league (and the successor to the failed Ultra League): WormsRF!

Online Triad

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 08:27 PM »
That's the Fermi Paradox for ya.

There are trillions of stars, billions of which are like our sun, millions of those should have earth like planets orbiting them. Many of those will be millions of years older than our planet. If pretty much any of those Earth like planets that are millions of years older than us took a turn that allowed life similar to humans (in terms of development of tools and the ability to think) to evolve then by now we should see literally any kind of sign of them. I mean, Homo Sapiens emerged 300.000 years ago and look how drastically we changed as a species since then. Now think a species like that with millions of years of head start.

The distances are pretty vast for sure, but the Milky Way is only 100,000 light years across. If they developed millions of years before us, even traveling at slower than light speed that's still plenty of time to make sizable footprint in the galaxy. One that, even if they didn't come to our little corner of the Galaxy physically, would probably give off other signs of its existence like communication signals which we could detect.

And yet, we don't see signs of such species, living or dead. Hence the paradox.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:33 PM by Triad »

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 04:57 AM »
YEs!

Offline Anubis

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 01:01 PM »
Believe? No. Likely? Yes.

Offline Aladdin

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 05:48 PM »
The distances are pretty vast for sure, but the Milky Way is only 100,000 light years across. If they developed millions of years before us, even traveling at slower than light speed that's still plenty of time to make sizable footprint in the galaxy. One that, even if they didn't come to our little corner of the Galaxy physically, would probably give off other signs of its existence like communication signals which we could detect.

I believe there is a smarter life than ours. But I also believe that they cannot travel faster than the speed of light. So spending hundreds or thousands of years traveling would not be cool. Even if the person travels 20 years at the speed of light, in return to their civilization may no longer exist.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 08:09 PM »
You ppl getting really bored..

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 09:29 PM »
*insert an area 51 joke here*

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 03:37 AM »
I'm confident enough to say I believe with 100% certainty that there has been and definitely will be life in the universe outside Earth, on what scale though, nobody knows.

The mere facts of how our planet formed and how we evolved are evidence enough for me.

Sci-fi and space/the possibility of life, and alien films/games are the most fascinating subjects for me in life, I enjoy reading new articles published in the science/space communities about new research, new theories.

I can't begin to explain how fascinated I am about Breakthrough Starshot:

I've been on/off writing a sci-fi, space/alien themed story for many years, it's based on a few interesting things:

The old gods - Zeus(the captain), and others Ares, Apollo, Hades, Poseidon, Athena, Aphrodite, Hera etc.

It's based on an idea when I read an article saying the 1st humans who could possibly live to be over 1000 years old are being born in this century, with anti aging techniques.

So I combined those ideas, the basic plot is, the old gods really did exist, they were from another galaxy many light-years away(I can't say far far away lol).

While scouting our solar system they suffered a disaster and had to crash land on our planet, and with their advanced technology and anti-aging techniques living for thousands of years(genetic enhancements etc), they were worshipped as gods, and it ties in with a lot of real history we know today in reality outside of the story.

I won't really say more about it yet, but every now and again I get inspiration to write more.

"It doesn't matter who you are or what you do, there will always be haters, so do what you love, and have fun doing it, the right people will come along"

So anyone who says this is boring, whoop-dee-f@#!ing-doo  :P

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 07:35 PM »
I'm afraid the consciousness might not survive even at cryogenic state, so if you do wake up, that's not going to be the real you anymore.
there are no scientifical reasons to make  brain cryogenics (without destroying its structure) impossible. and once the structure is saved, it'll be the real you.
real means if you die now, you'll actually wake up after cryogenics (which is fundamentaly different from WBE, where you die, and then your clone wakes up, while you're still dead)

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 11:21 PM »
im going to be attending storm area 51, only a few hours away :)

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 10:13 PM »
im going to be attending storm area 51, only a few hours away :)

See if you can get a group photo with Chuck Norris, Keanu Reeves, and the rest :)

Offline Godmax

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 12:23 AM »
Tobias has been "pleasured" by aliens so ofc they exist