Forums
March 29, 2024, 03:11 PM

Author Topic: Do you believe in the existence of aliens?  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Bloopy

Re: Do you believe in the existence of aliens?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 07:01 PM »
I believe there is a smarter life than ours. But I also believe that they cannot travel faster than the speed of light. So spending hundreds or thousands of years traveling would not be cool. Even if the person travels 20 years at the speed of light, in return to their civilization may no longer exist.

That last point is a good one. This article suggests there are 50 million potentially habitable planets in our galaxy. But another advanced civilisation is probably at least as unlikely as winning a lottery, so maybe there's only one other in the whole galaxy. We're not on the edge of the galaxy, so they might be 50,000 light years away. Thanks to time dilation, they wouldn't necessarily spend that long travelling. Eg. if they travel at 99.9% the speed of light, it'd take them more like 1,600 years from their point of view. But in the meantime, their home planet does age 50,000 years so it'd be a really weird investment to make. More likely they've colonised planets within 50 light years and it just gets exponentially more difficult to go further from there.

Meanwhile, most of their species have transferred their consciousness to a virtual simulation of eternal digital pleasure.
x_+

Offline skunk3

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 08:37 AM »
Extraterrestrial life IMO absolutely exists and so many ancient religious texts around the world blatantly talk about spaceships, 'gods,' technology, advanced weapons, etc. I'm in the camp that believes that human beings are the result of genetic engineering and not pure evolution. I also think that human civilization on this planet is far older than 6,000-7,000 years but unfortunately mainstream archaeology/history largely refuses to acknowledge newer findings that indicate that what we know is largely incomplete and/or just plain wrong. Anyone who is into learning about old megalithic structures would agree that it's highly damn unlikely that a bunch of humans thousands and thousands of years ago erected these sites/structures without some sort of help, especially quarrying and fashioning stones that were harder than tools available to them at the time that are cut so perfectly that you can't even slide a credit card between them... not to mention the fact that many of them are so heavy that even with modern machinery it would be nearly impossible to move some of them.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Anyone who is into learning about old megalithic structures would agree that it's highly damn unlikely that a bunch of humans thousands and thousands of years ago erected these sites/structures without some sort of help.

I believe it's possible either way, we possibly did do it alone(as in, just beings of this planet), or we possibly got help from an 'outside source'.

I ask the same thing when it comes to this, as I did in the 'god creates the universe' scenario - If god made us, what made god, and what made the thing that made god, and what made that etc...

So, if we need help, then they need help, then the things that helped them need help etc...

Somebody had to learn this stuff from scratch, why not us?

It's an interesting concept to think about either way :)

Offline HHC

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 09:25 PM »
Extraterrestrial life IMO absolutely exists and so many ancient religious texts around the world blatantly talk about spaceships, 'gods,' technology, advanced weapons, etc. I'm in the camp that believes that human beings are the result of genetic engineering and not pure evolution. I also think that human civilization on this planet is far older than 6,000-7,000 years but unfortunately mainstream archaeology/history largely refuses to acknowledge newer findings that indicate that what we know is largely incomplete and/or just plain wrong. Anyone who is into learning about old megalithic structures would agree that it's highly damn unlikely that a bunch of humans thousands and thousands of years ago erected these sites/structures without some sort of help, especially quarrying and fashioning stones that were harder than tools available to them at the time that are cut so perfectly that you can't even slide a credit card between them... not to mention the fact that many of them are so heavy that even with modern machinery it would be nearly impossible to move some of them.

I have read some of these books as well.
The older I get the more I think of it as absolute bogus.

We have a clear timeline as is, in which everything fits. From simple life to advanced civilization, it all takes place in steps. There's no indication of a clear cut in history, a specific year or very short period in time in which civilization suddenly takes a hundred steps at once.. It's all very gradual.

Building shit with big boulders is also very primitive. It's far easier to do than building with small bricks, particularly because they had no cement and shit. The only way to build bigger things, than simple huts, was by using stones, preferably BIG stones.
Would aliens use these massive rocks to build things for them? I think not. They'd probably use steel and iron like we do nowadays, or some other alien technology. But it's really just big stones. Stones that have been collected at random: big and small, all oddly shaped.. surely us moderners and aliens alike would cut all these stones neatly into the same practical shape (completely square).

Considering that building with huge boulders is all they did.. they probably had better ways of handling them than we do today. We have grown so accustomed to machines that we wouldn't know how to take on such a massive task with our bare hands. Much like we also have 'un-learned' advanced hunting techniques.

And all that besides, there are only few places that have really nicely cut building blocks. Most of Europe's stone age monuments are nothing more than these boulders placed upright.. or in really really simple constructions, like this:

That's about the most advanced building that was made with big rocks in the northern parts of Europe. If aliens did that... it must have been the ones in the first grade of the special needs class.  :-X
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 09:28 PM by HHC »

Offline skunk3

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 08:23 PM »
We don't have a clear timeline though. The timeline is blurry at best and falls apart at worst. My point is that there are clearly man-made structures on this planet that are far older than the beginning of 'history' as the mainstream knows it, like twice as old or more!

Also, I am not talking about primitive constructions made out of bolders. I am talking about very intricately-aligned, well-thought-out buildings that are made of precisely-quarried stones that fit together like Lego bricks, sites that align perfectly to stars and celestial patterns/processions... and in many of these places we are talking about stones that are so many tons in weight that it's mind-boggling, not to mention the further mystery that comes from the fact that in some of these sites they use types of stone that aren't even close to the place of erection. They had to somehow transport these impossibly heavy stones vast distances in many cases.

Also, people have been using mortar of sorts for a long time. Of course they didn't have cement but they had equivalents.

Offline Drumstick

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2019, 01:57 AM »
[oops double post]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 02:01 AM by Drumstick »

Offline Drumstick

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 02:00 AM »
But another advanced civilisation is probably at least as unlikely as winning a lottery, so maybe there's only one other in the whole galaxy.
(...)
Meanwhile, most of their species have transferred their consciousness to a virtual simulation of eternal digital pleasure.
Aaand that's basically why I believe there is other intelligent life forms in the universe. Sure Earth is a statistical rarity, with all these subtles conditions needed in order to sustain life. But the universe bought a LOT of lottery tickets :) I think it's a matter of time (and a bit of luck) before we meet another sentient species, if none of these conspiracy theories are true. If we're to be the visitors, it'll be a while. Now, what is time and what was before it? My brain hurts a bit when I think about that concept.

Virtual simulation of eternal digital pleasure? Sign me up!