Forums
May 02, 2024, 02:20 PM

Author Topic: Husk m8  (Read 1064 times)

Offline HHC

Husk m8
« on: April 06, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Aee, i need some tips man.

You know I only play mtg on steam & on cpu, now i wanna take the shit offline  ;D

I already own some 4th Edition cards from back when I was your age huehuehe. But yeah, they are only 5 basic card packs, which isn't much (if i put all cards of a colour together i barely can make 1 deck of them). Soooo... it's pretty much a start from scratch.
Dunno where I wanna take this though, just settle for a basic collection of 1000 cards, or keep collecting after (which is gonna cost cock-much money I guess  :-[).

Neway, can you help me find something for about 80-100 euro, that gives me max amount of cards, but not just crap ones? :D

I was thinking about starting with a M14 Deck Builder's kit, or possibly two of them (as I need enough lands for 2 players).
That's about 18 euro a piece.
They also sell cheap common packs for 4 euro (with 100 crappy cumm0ns), which is awesome pricewise, but yeah... if I collect more it might turn out a waste of money  :(
I could also buy a 100-land pack for the same price & just go with booster packs from there instead of the deck builder kit?

Soo yeah, I guess I wanna find some cheap starter sets or collection boxes with lots of cards that include uncommons & rares as well, but for a cheap price.

And stick to the core sets (M12,M13,M14) or also try the expansions?

Offline Husk

Re: Husk m8
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 04:13 PM »
I believe u have more experience from MTG than me m8, but now that u started a topic about this... this shall be the official MTG topic? =D

booster boxes r in ur price range and there's 36 booster packs in one of those... I think the main point of these boxes are the draft games... but u get many cards at the same time xD
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:34 PM by Husk »

Offline HHC

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 04:24 PM »
hmmm, noob!

alright then, maybe someone can help then. Or I'll help myself :D
I'll post when I buy some shit husk.

Offline Husk

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 04:36 PM »
yeah heh I am only describing what I have been doing with my friends... those booster boxes work quite well with drafting

Offline HHC

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 05:01 PM »
what's drafting?  :-[

do boosters include lands? or just non-basic ones?

Booster boxes are like 125 euro if youre talking about the ones i think youre talking about. And all the cards in them are from the same expansion set, so I guess you'd get many doubles? And yeah, I wouldnt have any basic lands then to start with :(

tell me about the games you play with your frends :)

How do you store your cards btw, sorted by colour or divided into decks?

Offline darKz

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Drafting is when a group of players buys a booster box (or several) together and everyone gets a set amount of boosters. Then everyone builds a deck from those cards and they play a little tournament. Access to basic land cards is unlimited - you bring those yourself. I've done this a few times as in my opinion it's the fairest (most balanced) tournament format, you don't have to pay a shit ton of $$$ just to have a top notch vintage deck.

Boosters usually don't include basic lands, unless they're premium I think. You get basic lands from premade decks, or buy them separately in nerdcomic shops.

I used to play MTG a lot with my friends until at some point I realized there's a strong "power creep" in there. They practically force you to buy new cards over and over because they're usually stronger than the older cards (with exceptions of course).
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline HHC

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:09 PM »
True dark, but I guess it's cause they want to make cards that are 'valuable' for players; that are a nice addition to a deck.

My 4th edition ones are 70% crap, while 10% is really overpowered  ;D

I looked up drafting yeah, sounds like a nice way to play :)

I don't intend to buy a shitload of cards, just want to have a nice collection to play around with. Not turning into a Pr0 xD

I'll order tomorrow. Right now I have:
- 2 Deckbuilder's toolkits (1 of 2013 for 25 euro + 1 of 2014 of 20 euro).
- 3 Random common packs of 100 common cards (randomly put together by the store, old and new expansions, no basic lands), for 4 euro each.
- 3 boosters each of Ravnica, Gatecrash, Magic 2012 & Dragon's Maze, for 3 euro each. These were the cheapest boosters, along with Theros + Born of the Gods, but I chose for the other 4 cause I don't like the greek theme all that much.

So yeah, 92 euro in total + 8 euro delivery cost makes 100 euro for the whole set.
Seems like a good purchase to start & possibly to finish up. (some 1300/1400 cards, with enough lands for 2 players with the same monocoloured deck).

Btw, I believe boosters have 1 basic land or token out of 15.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:13 PM by HHC »

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 11:27 PM »
http://time.com/20074/player-exposes-magic-the-gathering-for-all-its-cracked-up-to-be/ ;D This was on deadspin a while back via kotaku.com, hilarious.

Offline HHC

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 10:38 PM »
Huuu, got my package today  :)

Seems like I did a good selection. The toolkits are nice cause they give me all the (basic) lands I need and generally include the cards you'd want to 'fill up' your deck. While the boosters provide some special cards to make your deck stand out  :)

The 4 euro common packs are also nice. The cards in them are sometimes rather crappy (I had 4 or 5 of the same creature that got a bonus for having 2 or more gates... while I didnt have any gates at that point lol, do now though, cause booster). But they are a good starting point to really get a whole bunch of cards to construct decks with. There were also quite a bunch of cluestones in there, which is nice to make multi-colored decks (the toolkits pretty much only have basic lands :().

Neway, I opened the 4 boosters of Dragon's maze, I'll save the rest for tomorrow and later to do booster battles  ;D
Best card I got in them:

Sells at 16 euro at the store, gooder booster that was :)

Offline Husk

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 02:33 PM »
I know it's nothing rly... but today on steam a game called magic the gathering 2014 duels of the planeswalkers is 2,49 €

I bought it... it doesn't feel as amazing as holding cards on your hand... but I guess it's the next best thing.... oh and I am excited to try it online after making a deck of some sort

Offline HHC

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 03:56 PM »
I think it's easier than IRL, cause you cant make illegal moves, and it's easier just to have the CPU hand out the +1/1 counters than keep track of all that yourself.
The major downside to the steam games is that you cant really make a deck of your own. You can throw 1 or 2 cards out of one, but you can't add any that arent part of the original deck.
In 2014 there's a draft option though, but that too is really limited I heard.

I dont have 2014 yet, but I guess I might buy it now that it's so cheap as you say. Though I have to see first whether it's the complete version (with all expansions).

It sucks that the company doesnt wanna make a full online game, or only one that sucks (MTG online isnt very nicely designed and you need to pay quite a lot to get more cards on it... and yeh, I dont feel like buying virtual cards lol). I guess they are afraid they wont sell any real cards nemore when they make a good PC variant.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 05:38 PM »
you guys wanna play pokemon tgc?

it's been out for a couple weeks
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Husk

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 08:03 PM »
The major downside to the steam games is that you cant really make a deck of your own. You can throw 1 or 2 cards out of one, but you can't add any that arent part of the original deck.

yeah |= that sux lol

Offline HHC

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 01:30 AM »
Ty for the tip Huskie. I dl'ed the complete game (the one with all the extra decks, but without the foils). And I'm happy with it so far.

The sealed deck mode is actually more fun than I thought. It sucks that you gotta buy more slots if you want to start from scratch, but still it can be quite fun. The offline campaign itself is too short (only 5 matches...), but it's a big improvement for multiplayer. As it allows you to compile a deck of your own out of say 140 cards or so, which gives you some freedom, while at the same time limiting the ability of opponents to create SUPERDUPERPWN decks that annihilate everything. Online multiplayer sealed is pretty fun  :)

But yeh, you prolly need to buy extra slots at some point, cause the boosters that you get first time around may suck major ass  :(
You can still edit sealed decks though.. as in, mess around with the cards that you collected that slot. So you can go for a totally different strategy by throwing out the colours you used before and using the cards of the other colours to build an entirely different deck.

My first attempt failed horribly, it's still rated as WEAK, even after I collected all boosters. I might need to mess around with that one I guess.
I just started my 2nd though and this one is ranked as strong, even though i have yet to free up any of the extra boosters in the campaign.
It pwned nicely in the 1st match I did online, though I had some luck :) Guess it's better to use the min of 40 cards rather than use a 60-80 card deck with way too many different cards.