Forums
March 28, 2024, 05:05 PM

Author Topic: D&D players?  (Read 811 times)

Offline skunk3

D&D players?
« on: August 07, 2018, 07:33 AM »
So who plays D&D?

Which edition?

Do you play any other D20 / rpg games?

What are some of your favorite classes, feats, spells, etc?

I'll start.

I prefer D&D, 3.5e. It's the first version that I learned how to play and now that I've been playing for a bit over 10 years now and have learned other systems, it is still by far my favorite system. 4th edition sucked, and 5th edition has some good aspects but overall I think it's weak compared to 3.5e. My favorite class to play is Warlock, although when joining a game I usually wait until everyone else picks what they want to do and then I pick my role based upon what the group needs.

Offline Sensei

Re: D&D players?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 08:15 AM »
I know lot of ppl that play board game called Catan and they're not even nerds. Apparently it's made in Germany back in 1995. Sorry to interupt d&d discussion.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 08:23 AM »
Settlers of Catan is a pretty popular board game here too. I think it's pretty fun but it definitely has a lot of RNG, although experienced players will usually win. I love board games also, although I don't play any these days because I can't get anyone I know IRL to pay attention to anything for more than 10 seconds and learn rules. Anything more complicated than UNO and they just don't have the attention span for it.

Offline HHC

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 10:01 AM »
A lot of modern boardgames are pretty demanding, it has to be said. Catan is just within reach. You cannot expect people to learn 10+ pages of rules by heart, cause that usually takes about 10 hours.. which is too long for pick-up-and-play.
And most of the time, the easiest to learn games are the most fun.
Complicated ones are often 'scripted' and have the same outcome 9 out of 10 times.

Playing them on PC is far easier, I have a lot on Steam, but the downside usually is the dumb AI + crappy online multiplayer mode.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 02:38 PM »
And people complained about Darts rules  :D

Yeah I always wanted to try D&D but would want to play with certain people, there are certain types of nerds and geeks that make me wanna faceplant their skulls on a kerb.

I've been friends with this guy at my old work for just over a year now, he plays D&D, but tbh some of his friends annoy me so can't really play with them.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 10:10 PM »
With D&D there are definitely some people who fit into the mold of the stereotypical basement-dwelling nerd, but there's also a lot of normal, cool people who play. I joined a local group last year and left the group after 2 sessions because the players were a bunch of cringey weirdos who spoke in memes and always tried to crack stupid jokes. I like to have fun while I play but I just can't stand being around quasi-autistic dorks. My main local game that I've been playing in for quite a while has been on ice for two months because the DM (a female) had a baby and she and her husband (one of the group) are just too busy with work, life, baby stuff, etc. I signed up for Roll20.net and joined a couple of games and dealt with some annoying shit, like goofy players, terrible DMs, etc. I eventually found a group with a great DM and players who like to have fun but aren't cringey.

The main problem with D&D is that there's 50 people who want to play for every one person willing to DM, and not all DMs are equally good at the job.

Personally I find playing D&D more fun than any other game. If I could play D&D like 5 days a week I would.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 10:19 PM »
A lot of modern boardgames are pretty demanding, it has to be said. Catan is just within reach. You cannot expect people to learn 10+ pages of rules by heart, cause that usually takes about 10 hours.. which is too long for pick-up-and-play.
Complicated ones are often 'scripted' and have the same outcome 9 out of 10 times.

Playing them on PC is far easier, I have a lot on Steam, but the downside usually is the dumb AI + crappy online multiplayer mode.

Yes, I do agree that many of the board games have fairly complicated rules to learn and most people who just want to pick up and play would be put off by them. I have probably 7 games still in the plastic that I haven't even opened yet because I can't get anyone to play. Whenever people I know get together all they wanna do is just drink, smoke weed, and talk, aside from my weekly poker night. Even then it can be hard to get people to pay attention to the game, especially when it's football season. (They play fantasy football - which is like D&D for sports nerds.)

The only board game that I have on Steam is Talisman. Oh and I have 100% Orange Juice but never really tried it. I prefer board games in person.

Offline sock

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 04:17 PM »

Yes, I do agree that many of the board games have fairly complicated rules to learn and most people who just want to pick up and play would be put off by them. I have probably 7 games still in the plastic that I haven't even opened yet because I can't get anyone to play. Whenever people I know get together all they wanna do is just drink, smoke weed, and talk, aside from my weekly poker night. Even then it can be hard to get people to pay attention to the game, especially when it's football season. (They play fantasy football - which is like D&D for sports nerds.)

The only board game that I have on Steam is Talisman. Oh and I have 100% Orange Juice but never really tried it. I prefer board games in person.
I think it might be a cool game, but it doesn't seem like a game that I could really get into, meaning wanting to play it multiple times a year.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 08:35 AM »
When I played it, it was mostly on poker nights because at that time we had a huge group and as people would bust and be done with poker they would want something else to play while everything drinks and smokes. Settlers was really popular amongst that crowd but I haven't played it in a few years. It's really hard to find people interested in playing complicated board games.

Offline Husk

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 12:48 AM »
when joining a game I usually wait until everyone else picks what they want to do and then I pick my role based upon what the group needs.

i have no experience from D&D but where can i join a game? is there a website or a game i download? i'd like to play

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 01:43 AM »
when joining a game I usually wait until everyone else picks what they want to do and then I pick my role based upon what the group needs.

i have no experience from D&D but where can i join a game? is there a website or a game i download? i'd like to play
All the D&D people I know play local, I even know a few LARPers from work, they have local get togethers, too.  Maybe there is a messageboard for meeting people in finland for D&D and maybe also gangbang if ur into it m8.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 07:20 AM »
roll20.net is the best place to join an online D&D game, or even other types of RPGs. There's lots of free games. You basically just pick the game that you want to search for in a drop-down box and then click search and it shows you everything, including the day of the week that the game is scheduled, as well as the time. Some games are very newbie friendly and other games are veteran players only.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 07:24 AM »
In my experience the way most games on roll20 work is that the DM will have a Discord server set up for chat / voice chat during the game. There is built-in chat in roll20 that you will use for shit like dice rolling and whatnot but the voice chat on roll20 sucks compared to Discord. I have little to no experience with games other than d&d 3.5e, but I do have all of the books in PDF if you happen to need them.