March 28, 2024, 03:04 PM

Poll

Do you think mainstream music is bad?

Yes
11 (64.7%)
No
6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Is mainstream music bad?  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Kradie

Is mainstream music bad?
« on: February 10, 2019, 04:15 PM »
Do you think that mainstream music from the 2000 and now is bad? Music genre e.g of; Top 20-50, pop, rock, hiphop and rap. There is no clear blueprint on my inquiry, but everyone has their own ears and interpretation on what sounds good. This is a ambiguous question, and is open for different answers.

In my opinion, today's music is generally bad. There's not enough creative room to differentiate today's music from one another, because it all sounds very similar. Barely anything sounds unique, everything is over equalized and repeats the same loud obnoxious pattern. Vocals are frightening to listen to, it sounds so artificial to listen to, and I can swear some of these songs has the same voice. I only hear these music through a friend, local transportation, malls, and clothing stores. I just don't understand the appeal of this electronic waste. It literally sounds like diarrhea going through a converter of some sort.

I personally prefer music where I can enjoy every little nuance provided by the musician.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline h3oCharles

Re: Is mainstream music bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 05:29 PM »
first of all, "good" and "bad" are subjective
second, define "bad music"

to answer the topic, my personal opinion is that most of what VEVO has is hot stinkin' garbage

Offline Kradie

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 05:37 PM »
first of all, "good" and "bad" are subjective
second, define "bad music"

to answer the topic, my personal opinion is that most of what VEVO has is hot stinkin' garbage

1. I have already provided this obvious statement.
2. I have already provided my own opinion about it.

At your age, Vevo was already trash to my ears.

Offline HHC

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 05:54 PM »
Is there still 'mainstream' music?

Only thing left IMO is 'elevator music', the kind of music they play in stores, just feel-good, easy-listening tunes.

Radio is dead, MTV is dead. People find stuff they like on platforms that cater specifically to them.. music is suggested to them based on what they already listen to.

I mean, WTF is VEVO.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Is there still 'mainstream' music?

Only thing left IMO is 'elevator music', the kind of music they play in stores, just feel-good, easy-listening tunes.

Radio is dead, MTV is dead. People find stuff they like on platforms that cater specifically to them.. music is suggested to them based on what they already listen to.

I mean, WTF is VEVO.

I wouldn't say that Elevator music is mainstream, it is strictly for elevator rides, and there are not enough skyscrapers to provide to a broad general audience this experience. This goes for lounge music too, very chill, jazzy and casual sounding. So what I am simply describing is literal, and based on my own expectation of where certain type of music is to be played.

I do agree that people find their music on their chosen platform. But still, majority seem to lean towards music that is registered as popular, such as Linkin Park, Justin Bieber, Kelly Minguel, Rihanna, & Eminem. In other words; music that is popular among the masses, is mainstream.

Vevo is just an ad place for mainstream music.

Offline philie

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 06:32 PM »
Radio is dead

maybe depends on your location, regarding mine, it is sadly not dead. everywhere you go, you're forced to listen to the same few popular radio stations that play the german top 100 charts back and forth. imo music for ppl who are not interested in music.

Offline HHC

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 07:06 PM »
Well.. it's alive in the sense that people listen to it either in the car, or in stores / public places.
That's why the playlists are so boring.. same 'light' music on nearly every radiostation.

It's not taste-defining anymore as it used to be in the 70's. Or MTV in 80's and 90's.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 02:01 AM »
imo music for ppl who are not interested in music.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there philie.

In my opinion, mainstream is for people who are into social media, popular parties and whatnot, mainstream festivals where people go to get wasted and have a good time with their friends, they listen for the experience of interaction and dance rather than explicitly become one with the sound.

The above is why I don't personally make music with lyrics/singing except a rare few, all the music I make reflect my hobbies, emotions and experiences in life, like gaming, relationships, philosophy, curiosity of space etc.

@Kradie - The music itself, there are some facts that cannot be avoided, in each genre, the most popular releases are generally considered to have the best quality of mixdown, whether you like the song or not, it has sound music theory no one can argue, and even though a lot of people don't like autotune and pitch perfect voices, they are for the most part tone perfect.

I personally don't like mainstream music, but I appreciate it somewhat as these days, with the help of the internet and video editing etc, more and more tutorials for producing/mixing are available because it's in demand, and that helps people like me learn sound design, mixing techniques that I can apply to my own music without in a sense, "selling my soul".

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 04:56 PM »
10-20 years from now on, rappers will make phrases like baby noises and will be considered super intelligent and more supreme than PhD professors and wise old men.
What has world come to.....

Spoiler! View

Rapper in 2020's:
GA GA GU GU TU TU TU TU
I F*CK YOU KUU NUU TUU NUU OBA BA BA BOO

People in 2020's:
OMG! WHAT A ROAST! HE IS GOD!

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 05:00 PM »
imo music for ppl who are not interested in music.
@Kradie - The music itself, there are some facts that cannot be avoided, in each genre, the most popular releases are generally considered to have the best quality of mixdown, whether you like the song or not, it has sound music theory no one can argue, and even though a lot of people don't like autotune and pitch perfect voices, they are for the most part tone perfect.

I personally don't like mainstream music, but I appreciate it somewhat as these days, with the help of the internet and video editing etc, more and more tutorials for producing/mixing are available because it's in demand, and that helps people like me learn sound design, mixing techniques that I can apply to my own music without in a sense, "selling my soul".

Komodo, with tool assisted technology, music will be artificial regardless, this applies for nonmainstream too. It all depends on how you incorporate these different elements; artificial or not into the music. E.g, some music contains artificial artifacts, but this can be mixed in such unique way that it can surprise the listener.
I do agree that technology help provide better overall sound, but one does not have to enjoy it compared to a good big bowel moment. A biological process of joy, but some music does not provide the same sensation. Unless if you adapt to it, like you adapt to pain, which isn't joy at all. So I have no problem accepting that there are teachings and techniques for sound of torture and joy. I personal prefer the latter.

In general, all the art that we make, is a reflection of ourselves, but it is also inevitable absorbed by passed down teaching, that of course we make it into our own art. Sometimes, it fails completely because, it is so much alike to what other have made, So that the painting e.g will look identical except for minor adjustment in color code. But if people can allow themselves to take what they gained from knowledge, and then add their own special spin on it, it could prove to be something really amazing.

If people could allow themselves to step outside the comfort zone of their familiar sound, it could help them to develop a more sense of branches that will lead them to new interesting discovery. That they never knew they could had, and this could tap their creative spark like crazy. Unfortunately, people are too reluctant and safe. They will remain close minded and not be able to reach out, and their music will remain dull, & lifeless like a robot. Programmed to appreciate a string of particular things.

Do not get me wrong, I do like mainstream music, particular older ones 70-90s, even some today, though I do not recall them because my interest is not totally there. Perhaps I am reluctant to accept this music? I grew up with it, and I grew out of it. I don't relate to say; rap music, where they shout the N word, and  about representing a neighborhood. It is of its own agenda, though I do understand why it exist, I commend the people who approach this and make it. Again,  it is not for me.

Online Sensei

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 06:29 PM »
Rhetorical question. Every music finds their listener.

EDIT: deleted rest of the comment.. Some ppl here may take it offensive.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 06:57 PM »
Rhetorical question. Every music finds their listener.

EDIT: deleted rest of the comment.. Some ppl here may take it offensive.

That is very true, it is rhetorical. Great vocabulary there Mr Sense :)

And good job of avoiding toxicity. But sadly, the tiniest thing can be considered an insult these days. I salute your consideration.

Offline HHC

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 07:01 PM »
I don't relate to say; rap music, where they shout the N word, and  about representing a neighborhood. It is of its own agenda, though I do understand why it exist, I commend the people who approach this and make it. Again,  it is not for me.

Would you call rap / hip-hop mainstream?
It is, and it's not. It wasn't, and now it is.

All mainstream music once wasn't mainstream, and at some point in the future it won't be again.
A guy who listens to 60's psychedelic rock can say he listens to alternative music, even though it once scored high up in the charts. If a 14-year old nowadays says he's into the Beatles, you wouldn't accuse him of listening to mainstream music.

That given, it's kinda hard to make any real statements about the matter. You can, at best say, I like music that not many people listen to.. simply because not many people listen to it.
There's good reasons for it. Stuff like wanting to be an individual or 'deep' or whatever. But you can't really objectify it and come up with phrases like 'mainstream music is shit quality'. Cause you know, that wouldn't be right, there's music in the top of the charts too that is made by really good musicians and is top-class, even from a technical point of view.

And I dunno where i'm heading at this point. I'm going back to work. Goodday y'all :D

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 08:42 AM »
Mainstream to me is like what your regular person without sophisticated taste is able to swallow and enjoy, it's flexible (playable on any occasion), simple, it has to sell well just like any other product for masses, and somehow trendy so the majority can talk about it. Theres hardcore selection for overall flow, sounds used, words spoken, so artists freedom is very rarely in it, it's more like label is forcing what you will get to hear. It's been like that for many years, it's just we now live in a far different world than we had in 90's and before, we have access to information and internet, and music style thats pushed mainstream happens to be the worst since years, but that also goes for many different areas. At least we have choice in music's area and its all affordable, often cheaper to pay for original and non-mainstream content, unlike other things like electronics or food quality for example, which used to be good back in the day and now its worse and worse, even if more advanced giving a lot flexibility.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:51 AM by lacoste »
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

Offline MrTPenguin

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 09:58 AM »
I agree as well. IMO pop(ular) music is like classical music, in that it followed a "journey"; with classical, it goes: early > baroque > classical > romantic > modern; with pop, it goes: 60s > 70s > 80s > 90s. Music-makers build on what went before them, and when they come to the end of the journey, it isn't really possible to continue. The reason we don't get good pop music anymore is therefore the same as why we don't get great symphonies and concertoes anymore.

But we are "old men" (I'm 36) and maybe our minds have closed to new things (video games as well as music). Or maybe we are speaking the truth. Either way, I'm glad I'm a 90s kid and not a 00s kid  :)