March 29, 2024, 08:39 AM

Poll

Do you think mainstream music is bad?

Yes
11 (64.7%)
No
6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Is mainstream music bad?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline TheKaren

Re: Is mainstream music bad?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 12:27 PM »
This is the 1st time i've ever read a thread and thought, everybody is spot on.

I really like what HHC and lacoste said, I have similar thoughts there.

I appreciate all music except that which is used for manipulation in a bad way, for example music with subliminal messages which have been used in the past, for an example I can remember, do any of you remember an episode of The Simpsons where they used subliminal messages in music to recruit soldiers for the navy? YVAN EHT NIOJ! (This is an extreme and obvious example, and it's a cartoon so not real, but it has happened in the past and does reflect this.)

There has been evidence of hidden messages in music in the past, I haven't really done much research into this so not sure if it's a big thing these days.

However, I do appreciate subliminal messages in music in a positive manner, for example spiritual stuff with a positive vibe aimed to make the listener feel at ease and relaxed, self-help music as well.

Also, it's a 50/50 opinion I have for hand picked bands with extremely good looking people designed specifically to sell sex and make money, I hate manipulation and the fact people are so easily swayed and attracted to this kind of music, but at the same time, it makes a lot of people feel good and have something to aspire to, it can make friendships and amazing experiences in life for people. I could only wish that the money was distributed more fairly, rather than the managers and people like Simon Cowell who make ridiculous amounts of money, if it went to charity to help struggling families or cultures i'd be much happier with it.

I used to be a horrible person for this kind of thing, if I didn't like something i'd get angry and tell the person it's bad, it sucks, you are stupid for doing it etc, I hate that part of me in the past, i'm much more open now, if somebody likes something and it makes them feel good, and they aren't harming anyone in the process, wtf does it have to do with me if I like it or not?

Music itself has helped me realize this and grow as a person. So I have to say i'm learning towards mainstream music being more good than bad, there are some problems with the music industry, some corruption, manipulation, abuse etc, but for the most part music is a beautiful thing :)

Offline STRGRN

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 07:39 PM »
I used to be a horrible person

you still are

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 10:16 PM »
I didn't see that coming from you STRGRN, I thought we got along fine :D

Good to know what you think of me though, useful to know who to avoid spending time with :)

Offline skunk3

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 06:14 AM »
This is a difficult one to answer.

First, let me start off by saying yes, I do think that much of today's mainstream music is garbage. However, hasn't that been the case since sometime in the 90's? There's always been great music that is completely ignored by the mainstream. The reason why I barely even try to keep up on new music these days (despite being a music junkie) is the fact that there's SO MUCH great music from previous decades that is obscure and never got much attention.

To keep it on topic - There are some good reasons as to why mainstream music of today sounds 'bad' in a sense. One reason is that most of the top pop hits are written by the same small handful of people and recorded by various artists. Max Martin is one of them. You can read his story here: https://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/max-martin-powerful-person-music-business-people-never-even-head-name/

A second reason is that the playing field has been evened out to such a degree when it comes to composing and recording music that a lot of recordings can sound very similar. Virtually all studios track to a DAW (digital audio workstation) these days and have audio interfaces that are capable of capturing external audio in such pristine quality that it makes older digital recordings sound very dated, especially those from the 80's when digital tech was new. The cost for this stuff has also plummeted as well. My personal audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) is about as cheap as it gets yet the sound quality is pretty great, especially compared to the Roland digital multitrack recorder I bought back in high school in the 90's... and it only cost a fraction of the price, especially when one accounts for inflation! In addition to this, powerful PC's are cheap and readily available these days and there's tons of free software effects and instruments that people use, and since most people aren't sound designers they tend to just use the (admittedly decent) presets for these bits of software, so it's not at all uncommon to hear the same sound in many different songs... although it's not like this didn't happen back in the day with hardware keyboards or rackmount sound modules. Basically, in the past each studio had a somewhat unique 'sonic fingerprint' due to the particular gear they used but today this isn't the case. The starting point is pristine and sterile now, lacking color.

A third reason why mainstream music sounds so shitty today is because our modern era doesn't really reward originality. People just want to grasp at trends while they are new and hot, ride them until they are played out, then drop that trend before it is seen as passé. It's all about making money. The entertainment business is just that - a business. The big labels and media outlets cater to the lowest common denominator; in other words, they cater towards casual fans of music who aren't discerning listeners, people who just want something new and catchy and popular to listen to. Mainstream music is safe and doesn't take risks or push the envelope, otherwise the Jews in control of the music industry (I say that literally) would realize that some new style of music could lead to an uncontrollable rebellion / renaissance / awakening. Music literally has that power, which is why people act as gatekeepers and ensure that only the most bland and 'acceptable' music is allowed to go mainstream. Just look at what happened to MTV. It was amazing when it was new and literally transformed society to a significant degree, but eventually a bunch of Jews took over and started diluting it and turning it into a mainstream/pop music channel sprinkled with reality tv... then it became more and more reality tv and completely disintegrated.

Mainstream music these days is also just plain lazier. The lyrics are vapid. The arrangements are basic and formulaic. The depth of musical theory and nuance put into writing songs is a fraction of what it used to be. There's very little dynamic range in pop music... it's all loud and in your face and lacks subtlety. Why is it this way? Because it is easy to crank out, and catchy. It doesn't require critical listening, just repeated plays so it gets drilled into your head. Songwriting in the 80's was much more clever and beautiful. Ever wonder why 80's tunes are so memorable? This guy gives a fantastic explanation:
&t=877s

Anyway... long rant short, mainstream music sucks because it is made for people who are only casual music fans and just want instant gratification and not having to think about anything. There are no emotions to process with modern mainstream music. It is emotionless garbage with no soul, which is why I keep going to record stores and digging in the crates until my hands are dusty. Vinyl ftw.

Also related: https://thepatterning.com/2016/08/20/the-millennial-whoop-a-glorious-obsession-with-the-melodic-alternation-between-the-fifth-and-the-third/

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 06:16 AM by skunk3 »

Offline KinslayeR

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 05:30 PM »
well, 90% are about tits and disco polo shit, at least in poland,  one time I heard "the unforgiven" from metallica in most commercial polish radio, I was like wtf, is metallica commercial now too, maybe, but anyway it is hard to find some good music in commercial shit

Offline HHC

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 10:00 PM »
It was much better in the 90's yes. We grew up with 'Barbie girl' and what not.  :-X

Offline philie

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2019, 02:45 PM »
It was much better in the 90's yes. We grew up with 'Barbie girl' and what not.  :-X

rofl

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 07:39 PM »
Who can forget such socially winning classics as:

MMMbop - Hanson
Wannabe - Spice Girls
Livin' La Vida Loca - Ricky Martin
Good Vibrations - Marky Mark
Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice

And so much more :D

Offline skunk3

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2019, 09:04 PM »
Who can forget such socially winning classics as:

MMMbop - Hanson
Wannabe - Spice Girls
Livin' La Vida Loca - Ricky Martin
Good Vibrations - Marky Mark
Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice

And so much more :D

FWIW I actually like those last 2 songs.

Offline nino

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 02:30 PM »
I didn't see that coming from you STRGRN, I thought we got along fine :D

Good to know what you think of me though, useful to know who to avoid spending time with :)

Dont listen do this puto Komo, you r0x he sux!!

Cos king!
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.