Forums
March 28, 2024, 09:41 PM

Author Topic: PC is booting to bios  (Read 917 times)

Offline HHC

PC is booting to bios
« on: November 30, 2018, 03:05 PM »
 >:(

It's booting to bios every time I start it... whyy????

I've had two problems with the system before:
1) a failing USB-port. It kept connecting/reconnecting. Uninstalled the ghost-device. Never used the port again. No probs anymore since then.
2) date/clock being wrong. Every time I start the PC the clock is off by about 12 or 13 hours. This started shortly before the implementation of daylight saving time (28th of October). I let it auto-config it back, or manually change it.. still it's off every time I re-start the system.

Is the cause likely one of those? Or is it a more general problem, a doomed motherboard or some sheet like that?  :-[

It's an ASUS Desktop PC A_F_K31DA_K31DAG_K20DA Series

Offline Mega`Adnan

Re: PC is booting to bios
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Dunno about the first one, but I have gone through the second one.
It showed checksum error in boot on my PC and then set time back to 12 AM and wrong date. It might be problem in the cell attached to motherboard. Buy a new cell and problem will be fixed. :-[

Edit: It's also called CMOS battery.

Spoiler! View
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:58 PM by Mega`Adnan »

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 04:20 PM »
Ye its a general purpose CR2032 lithium battery. But if it is depleted, why not all settings are lost at each power off?

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 06:23 AM »
How do you know it's not all settings? Most people run BIOS on its default settings and a reset won't make any changes.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 11:07 AM »
If all settings are lost you will see the MoBo/BOIS manufacturing date at the boot, not the actual time minus an hour.

Offline HHC

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 01:07 PM »
Fixed I think.

I replaced the battery  :)

Xan, this was exactly the problem. In the BIOS-mode it displayed the manufacture-time, even if I changed it and saved the settings. Once the PC started the clock showed either the new time I changed in BIOS OR if I didn't change it there it showed 00:30 today, when it was 14:00. So yeah, in BIOS manufacture date, in actual desktop +/- 12 hours off the right date/time.

Once the new battery was in it didn't go to BIOS nemore. I changed the date/time in desktop and restarted. After restart, it now shows the right time. So I reckon it's completely fixed.

Thank you Adnan & Xan, big relief it's such a small DIY fix  :)
Karma's given  ;)

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 01:30 PM »
I'm impressed, Adnan and Xan know their stuff! Good job!

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Thanks  :)

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 01:43 PM »

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Bring harder problem next time, not this kindergarden  :D

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 02:39 PM »

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 02:47 PM »
More like it is provided  ;D