Forums
April 18, 2024, 10:32 AM

Author Topic: The Big Religion/God Debate  (Read 37987 times)

Offline darKz

Re: The Big Religion/God Debate
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 04:09 PM »
No you are Free.
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Uber

• Sexmachine

• Norway Norway
  • ps ps clan

• You'll never walk alone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 04:23 PM »
World Cup in advanced English! :p Ill send this conversation to NASA! :p

-You think you are pretty smart, but is was not me, and you became dumb.   Phanton.    <3

Offline Free

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 04:42 PM »
No you are Free.

Yeah, you saw what I did there? Huh? :D

Offline HHC

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 06:29 PM »
The question is, does this prove that the mind or consciousness can exist outside of our body?  If this were true then we're starting to talk about everlasting existence which is pretty heavy shit.  I wouldn't actually worry about dying if my consciousness would continue to exist for eternity.  I also think it's pretty darn unlikely and I think that there is also no compelling evidence for it to be true.  But some people disagree.

Well, even if our 'self' survives death, you may ask yourself what part of 'you' really remains.
I mean, we all know that teenagers act so odd and 'frisky' because of their brain going through puberty. What would these teens still be without these features?
Or memories.. either they stick with us (which I really don't hope for rape-victims) or they disappear completely, in which case we wouldn't really have a personality anymore.. just a simple 'ego' you might as well call spiritual energy or something like that.

Another thing to remember is that neurologists know exactly how to make people have these strange out of body experiences.  They can trigger them in a person by stimulating a certain part of the brain.

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to.. but there is a substance called DMT which is said to trigger visions that correlate to NDE's and that possibly, in a state of near death or fear of death, this substance is released by the brain in greater quantities, thus sparking 'supernatural' visions.
You may call these hallucinations, but that wouldn't be correct as hallucinations call forth a reality that is entirely fictional, while the visions reported in NDE's (or through DMT) correspond with things in reality (like seeing the actual roof of the hospital rather than a fictional one).

I thoroughly recommend listening to a debate between a believer and a non-believer on the topic of near death experience and the out of body experience.  It is extremely interesting and entertaining, especially considering Stephen Novella is such a gifted debater and knows every logical fallacy in the book.

Stephen Novella is a practicing neurologist and Alex Tsakiris is not a scientist but believes in the importance of scientific experiments to provide evidence for his alternative view.

http://www.skeptiko.com/near-death-experience-research-debate-with-steven-novella/

I might tomorrow, but dunno, in the middle of moving you know  ;)

p.s. either way, whether NDE's are true or not, I've found that visions reported by those who have experienced one correlate strongly with certain religious images (of hell, heaven and purgatory, the weighing of the soul, etcetera).. It's an interesting way of approaching religious teachings that often seem to have no basis in reality.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:32 PM by HHC »

Offline THeDoGG

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 10:39 PM »
nice pic free, so true

Offline Devilage

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 12:18 AM »
yeah nice picture free, I don't believe in god I believe there was a man named jesus and religion changed all of his life to

make him a saint and to look like he is beyond humans to make us trust their sacred religion and for being able to control

us under their rules we are big ppl let's not ttrust on a invicible man I leave that to childs needing ppl to play with when

they're alone, some1 created this

universe indeed something or some1 beyond our knowledge we will never be able to comprehend this atleast some

superior life explain this to us, we are not alone thats a fact question is are they peaceful? do they created us to make us

their sex slaves?  i hate catholicisim tbh they are just humans that have power coz of ignorant ppl that believe on them,

they killed many humans to envangelize and to make their believes universal shit is they are just humans like us theres

nothing saint on them or on their churches its just a book like harry potter I trust in the energies and the law of attraction and evolution.

Smoking proud.

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 12:52 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to.. but there is a substance called DMT which is said to trigger visions that correlate to NDE's and that possibly, in a state of near death or fear of death, this substance is released by the brain in greater quantities, thus sparking 'supernatural' visions.
You may call these hallucinations, but that wouldn't be correct as hallucinations call forth a reality that is entirely fictional, while the visions reported in NDE's (or through DMT) correspond with things in reality (like seeing the actual roof of the hospital rather than a fictional one).

Stimulation of a specific part of the brain which controls our sense of self.  I don't know the specifics.  If you do get time, Novella goes into more detail in the debate.

The out of body experience (OBE) by it's very nature is the person perceiving themselves to be floating above their own body.  They usually see themselves in the hospital bed with the doctors and nurses etc.  I assume we construct the environment during an OBE based on our expectations.  If a patient is even slightly aware that they are being taken to a hospital then their OBE will ring true.  During the NDE it is also common to experience travelling down a tunnel and toward a bright light.  Also meeting family members who have passed on etc and images of gods and angels (or whatever is culturally significant).  The OBE is a separate part of the NDE and so you don't need an OBE for it still to be classified as an NDE.

In your above statement you kinda stick them both together as one thing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:03 AM by Cueshark »

Offline avirex

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2010, 05:28 AM »
yawn

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 09:43 AM »
I believe in my 5 senses and thats all, I find supernatural powers, science, and even some religion fascinating at times, it's sometimes nice to dream, i'm a dreamer, but not gullible.

I don't like the idea of fate, what would be the point if it's true?

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 10:13 AM »
btw, the new album of Bad Religion is out. enjoy it ae http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MYFALB18

Haa, when I read the title of this thread, I too thought about this band. 8)

Offline Abnaxus

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 10:17 AM »
supernatural powers
In fact, this is natural (we're all able to do things like that), but we don't know how to make it.

And about god:
Or is god just a man-made theory [...] ?
Yes.
Watashi wa, jinmei ni iku sa reru ka o kakunin surunoni nagai jikan o matteita.
Shikashi, tada nariyuki o mimamoru.
Jikan dake to iudarou gen'in to naru.

May the force be with you.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 10:30 AM »
supernatural powers
In fact, this is natural (we're all able to do things like that), but we don't know how to make it.

I know it might seem like supernatural pwoers, but my ability to satisfy women isn't THAT big a deal :)

Offline Husk

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 10:47 AM »
i only attract pedophiles, and gypsies tryna steal my computerz

Offline nino

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2010, 10:57 AM »
hey someone got the BR album? it is true ae, i uploaded it for you! i could die to save you all too! xD
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline Ramone

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2010, 01:17 PM »
Heeh, this subject got scattered in so many different directions, could make 5 topics out of it..
What was the debate about again? ;x

Religion - "Digested" already.. It used to be a big deal in the whole world, it's completely logical that it has existed and been powerful (frighten ppl had a need to unite into the group to be "stronger"), but in modern age it's been busted and now it's only tradition and history until the 3rd Babylon happens again..

God - Since the "Church God" with long beard and gray hair is busted, it looks like most% of the ppl do not need any new understanding of a God.. They'll just watch TV all day instead until the 3rd Babylon happens again..

What happens after we die? - We can only guess cause no one has ever came back to tell us. (OBE and NDE just gives us assumptions, short trips with a tiny peek to the other side, but after all it's just a state of mind/brain)..

Ppl are afraid of the unknown things. When there's no rational/scientific answers and proofs about something the only thing that's left is beliefs/fate..