Forums
April 25, 2024, 11:09 PM

Author Topic: Win10 trolling again.  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Sensei

Win10 trolling again.
« on: April 09, 2017, 11:39 AM »

Can anyone help here? I have 8gb ddr4.
Why it shows there's 50% of RAM occupied if barely 20% is in use?

Offline Tomi

Re: Win10 trolling again.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 01:19 PM »
Is your win 10 32bit or 64 bit version? do you have an integrated vga? is it turned on? do you have 1x8gb memory stick or 2x4gb? are you checking the task manager in administrator mode?

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 01:54 PM »
Mine is like 432 MB, I use Windows 10 Pro N 32-bit. Ram = 2 GB

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 02:35 PM »
Is your win 10 32bit or 64 bit version?

do you have an integrated vga? is it turned on?

I use radeon rx460. It's turned on. (where to check if there's some trouble with that perhaps?

do you have 1x8gb memory stick or 2x4gb?

1x8

are you checking the task manager in administrator mode?

Don't get this one. I just press ctrl+alt+del to open task manager. Not sure what's the question here.
Not joining it by right click+run as admin.

Offline Tomi

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 04:18 PM »
Then I dunno what is this. With the last one I meant that maybe you can't see some applications running in the task manager because you don't have rights, but I am not sure about this either.

The integrated graphics card on your motherboard (not the rx460) can use a great amount of memory if it is turned on, but usually if you have a dedicated vga, then it is off. Anyway if it is turned on then usually windows shows max - vga memory as the total memory.. so if task manager shows 8gb then probably it is turned off, but you can check that in bios.

Offline SiD

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 04:24 PM »
Mine is similar.
I think the figure you've pointed at is the amount of memory consumed by processes running by the user Toni (excluding system processes)

Offline Sensei

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 10:47 PM »
Mine is similar.

There's gotta be fix for this tho. I didn't put all my summer savings to buy a pc that will use 50% of RAM while listening to you tube.... Let me know if you find a solution, SiD!

Offline StepS

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 11:32 PM »
Then I dunno what is this. With the last one I meant that maybe you can't see some applications running in the task manager because you don't have rights, but I am not sure about this either.
The task manager always runs with admin rights when your account is admin. It doesn't ask you for elevation if UAC is in the default mode, but does ask if you set "always notify".

Sometimes processes allocate memory in such a way that it's hard to track which specific process owns it using the task manager. One possible clue you can get, if you enable the "Working Set (Memory)" column in the Details tab, and check that instead of private bytes, however, there can be much more that doesn't appear there.
By the way, if you're using Chrome, there may be memory leaks, especially with the latest updates. I've noticed that on my and other systems, certain tabs, most notably emails, cause repeated allocations, until it runs out of memory (if Chrome is 32-bit, otherwise it keeps allocating) - these reach more than 1GB. However, these are easy to track as you can press Shift+Esc in Chrome.
One popular program that might cause similar hard-to-track "leaks" is uTorrent. These go away once the process causing them is dead.

By the way, the screenshot you provided only displays memory occupied by a user, not by the whole system. The rest is very likely allocated by system apps or services that do not necessarily run on behalf of your user.
Discord, being a web application, can also eat a lot of memory (400MB and more) for no reason.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 11:36 PM by StepS »
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline Albino

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 08:17 AM »
By the way, the screenshot you provided only displays memory occupied by a user, not by the whole system.
yea, we can't see shit.
Sometimes processes allocate memory in such a way that it's hard to track which specific process owns it using the task manager.
process explorer tool might be useful, it shows highly detailed process tree. just hit the link and extract!
https://download.sysinternals.com/files/ProcessExplorer.zip

Offline nino

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 02:08 AM »
Well last time i had an issue like this i did email billgates@hotmail.com and he replied me saying he would visit my castel to solve my problem and he did!!!

jelly peoples gonna say it is a lie ae
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 11:57 AM »
I'm upgrading my computer, and bought another copy of Windows 7 to go along with it.

Since 8, Microsoft has been dumbing down and closing off Windows, both internally and in the UI. I like my oldfangled fiddly knobs and double clicks.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 03:33 PM »
Good thinking Extremist. Double clicking 4ever!

Offline Ytrojan

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 11:23 PM »
This is why I'm sticking to 8.1, and possibly use VM's. I plan to use Virtual Machines for certain purposes.
Imagine What a Buck Could Do!

I now declare a brand new league (and the successor to the failed Ultra League): WormsRF!