Forums
March 28, 2024, 08:37 PM

Author Topic: Webysteria - fast-paced artillery and roping game  (Read 13731 times)

Offline Xrayez

Webysteria - fast-paced artillery and roping game
« on: October 06, 2017, 07:39 PM »
Current version: Pre-Alpha (developing features, the game architecture isn't set in stone yet)

Discord Server

Other videos posted so far:
Spoiler! View

Current features and log:
  • Load any map (png, jpg, bmp)
  • Static and dynamic terrain
  • Destructible terrain
  • Bazooka and Grenade weapons
  • Webbing (roping!)
  • Basic multiplayer
  • World and scheme editor
  • Multiplayer improvements and replay system foundations
Development time: over 3 years.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:14 AM by Xrayez »

Offline WTF-8

Re: Yet another clone of worms
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 08:09 PM »
that rope
Hedgewars confirmed
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline HHC

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 08:13 PM »
Nicely done rayez. How does the steering work? Do you use one hand for arrow keys and another to aim with mouse or??

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 08:19 PM »
Features:
  • BnG
  • Basic rope
Confirmed physics already better than WMD

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:21 PM »
that rope
Hedgewars confirmed

In-game stuff is far from perfect. I've been working extensively solely on terrain object recognition and processing. A lot of work, but that's like 30% of all development investment, other stuff should be much easier to implement.

Nicely done rayez. How does the steering work? Do you use one hand for arrow keys and another to aim with mouse or??

Thanks!

The character is controlled by rolling motion. It uses friction to move around. Left/right arrows to roll, up/down arrows to change aim, just like in Worms. If it's in air, the rolling won't affect the motion, but jet is used instead. Controls are subject to change (well, most of the stuff is subject to change)

Offline Sensei

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:14 PM »
As has been requested, I've put up a short video of the game project I've been working on

Thanks!

That terrain destruction reminded me on Pocket Tanks for some unknown reason..
(
)

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 08:31 AM »
As a Hedgewars player, I can say, that the rope is pretty much a copy-paste of code and retextured

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 08:35 AM »
As a Hedgewars player, I can say, that the rope is pretty much a copy-paste of code and retextured

I think the Hedgewars developers have neglected rope physics and texturing just like I have  :P
Don't worry, I'll try to make it as close as W:A rope eventually.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 10:24 AM »
Wow, apart from w2 wa and wwp, this is better than any other Worms release Team17 has made, and it's not even finished :O

Amazing Xrayez :)

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 10:36 AM »
Wow, apart from w2 wa and wwp, this is better than any other Worms release Team17 has made, and it's not even finished :O

Amazing Xrayez :)

Thanks!

I think it's crucial to understand and have experience with W:A before you can actually make something better than that. Developers at Team17 simply do not realize what makes W:A so special. They provided in-game tools that allowed community to make it grow. Having the ability to import and create maps is one of these features (I think the most important one). My dream is to resurrect the artillery genre.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 01:32 PM »
Of course when I say that, it's cuz you've obviously hit the nail on the head here with true WA fans.

It looks like the physics actually work, but different enough from WA to make it unique too :)

I also like the fact you can adjust aim & power while firing on the jetpack, that's amazing, I don't even know if other Worms games have this and don't care cuz their physics are sh*t anyway.

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Doing some work on procedural map generation! (check attachment) Currently a cave one. Happy New Year!  ::)

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 08:00 PM »
Presenting my work as a university project soon and I needed to create some gameplay elements, so I'd like you to show it off as well ;)
This is reminiscent to tower defense, but any scheme could be potentially created this way, so I'm quite excited!

Modified map for tower defense B3space originally by PinkEstranged - http://wmdb.org/5590

I need to replace those sound effects ASAP so I could probably stream the development at Twitch freely.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:07 PM by Xrayez »

Offline HHC

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 09:50 PM »
Interesting  :)

That is the kind of innovation that WA always needed  :o

Offline Sensei

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 09:52 PM »
Looks cool m8! Would be fun to do some multiplayer at this.