Forums > Other worms games

Extracting terrain files from Worms DC/United?

<< < (2/2)

h3oCharles:
wasn't sprite editor done through reverse engineering? is it possible to do a similar thing but with DC?

Squirminator2k:
I would imagine so, it would just take someone with the know-how, the interest and the follow-through.

I'm interested, certainly, but I lack know-how, so I can't follow through.

Squirminator2k:
It's worth noting: Graphics extracted from WormsDC would be lower-quality than those same graphics extracted from Worms United. Utd utilized a single shared 256-color palette for its display, while WormsDC utilizes multiple smaller palettes per-layer to get to 300+ colors.

As a breakdown, DC uses 16 colors for the terrain - a palette it also shares with sprites, with the color of worms, grenades, crates and mines determined by color values in the terrain/map file. Then there's 16 colors for the first layer of mountains, then another 16 for the back layer. I suspect each layer of water also uses 16 colors apiece, but when creating a terrain you're only picking the base color of the water using RGB values, and it extrapolates the rest from there. Ditto the sky gradient.

Utd, meanwhile, has a fixed 256-color palette which is used across all of its terrains.

Squirminator2k:
So apparently, the answer to the question "Can we extract terrain data from Worms Utd?" is Yes. nizikawa managed it, and has been converting some of the terrain styles for use in WA.

Which, of course, means I've been converting the only two 1st-gen terrains that never made it to WormsDC... to WormsDC. Ha.

[attachment=1] [attachment=2]

[attachment=3] [attachment=4]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version