Forums
March 29, 2024, 02:52 PM

Author Topic: So I uninstalled WMD...  (Read 4408 times)

Offline skunk3

Re: So I uninstalled WMD...
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 09:52 AM »
Competitive W:A gaming is dying for sure unless somehow loads of inactive people all of a sudden decide to start playing again, actively. I never thought that I would miss the days when people were spamming for clanners and tus/tel matches in AG... but now, I strangely do.

Anyway, Anubis, what you said is correct but I don't think that the momentum actually comes from bouncing off of the wall as much as it does simply pressing up at the right moment. It's very fickle and often doesn't work, at least in a predictable way as in W:A. The WMD rope(s) are usable enough for basic maneuvering but by W:A standards it's kinda pathetic. Also, hardly anyone in WMD has much skill with the rope anyway, so there's rarely rope-based schemes hosted, and those that do get hosted are typically really dumb schemes with tons of crafting crates.

@HHC - I think my comments are totally fair. I've sunk 700+ hours into WMD. Team17 talked a lot but didn't deliver. I don't think that WMD is a terrible game. It just could have been SO MUCH BETTER if they had:

1. Had a beta with veteran players giving input

2. Continued development of the game as they said they would

3. Hadn't made a roadmap that they didn't stick to whatsoever after 1 month or so, lol

4. Hadn't went completely silent on the Steam forums and elsewhere regarding the state of the game and future updates

5. Hadn't priced the game at $30 USD... so many more people would have bought the game if it were a bit less expensive. It didn't go on sale for quite a while and although the sales did help with the player base a bit, it was too little, too late

6. Hadn't split the player base up between Steam, GOG, PS4, XB1, and now Switch

etc etc.

I just got tired of playing WMD due to the fact that I'd lose games fairly often due to nothing more than sheer luck and/or unpredictability. Crafting ruins the experience, utterly. Also, the max round time in WMD is 30 minutes and there is no control over water rise speed. What this means is that if the game actually goes that long, which it often doesn't due to mobility and crafting stupid weapons, most players cannot reliably make long distance shots or even have good strategies in mind for how to deal with the situation other than: "I will drop a sentry, surround myself with girders, spam magnets, and wait until the last second to win with a cheesy weapon like a homing missile or a training shotgun." For some inexplicable reason, the homing missile in WMD now ignores magnets when the thruster is on. What a dumb decision there...

The base gameplay and strategy in Worms: Clan Wars was much better, even if the game engine itself sucked.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:08 AM by skunk3 »

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Team17 talked a lot but didn't deliver. I don't think that WMD is a terrible game. It just could have been SO MUCH BETTER if they had:

1. Had a beta with veteran players giving input

Especially this. They only started talking to us AFTER all the launch features were set in stone, and never gave a real explanation why we weren't let in on the ground floor. At least the Mechwarrior Online and Halo 5 teams had a pretense of involving pro players early, even if little of their advice was used.

Pandering to casuals will make your game sell faster, but balancing for the hardcore will get you longevity.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 08:37 PM »
Team17 has admittedly been making Worms games catered towards newcomers/casuals for quite some time. I remember suggesting a bunch of additional weapons and utilities to be added right after WMD launched and one of the Team17 folks replied saying that if they added the weapons that I suggested, there would be too much stuff in the game and it would confuse and overwhelm people.  ::)

Reloaded, Revolution, and Clan Wars all had good aspects and bad aspects, but one of the most annoying bad aspects is that they were all clearly made for consoles first and foremost because they obviously wanted to sell the games on as many platforms as possible to make the most money they could. WMD felt a bit better in this regard, but was still obviously suffering from console-itis as the game didn't even launch with a global chat lobby. I'd like to think that I have myself to thank for Team17 adding it to the game as I am the one who initially suggested it and harped about it until they added it, as half-assed and suboptimal as it ended up being.

I still find it so hilarious that they marketed the game as having "over 80" items to use, yet most of those items are just OP versions of a base item... and we don't even get an option for them to drop in crates, or to make custom schemes that start with more than 5 craftable items... and when the game came out we didn't even have the option to choose up to 5 craftable items as starting inventory! They added that later based on community feedback!

There are so many idiotic decisions surrounding WMD that could have been fixed prior to launch by simply having a beta. The initial reception of the game would have been much better, it would have sold more, and would be more popular today. My support of Team17 feels similar to a guy refusing to leave his wife even though she cheats on him. I'm Worms-cucked.

Offline Thewolensheep

• The MEGA retard.

• United States United States
  • A f@$!%$! loser.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 04:55 AM »
I'm howing my project doesn't end up like wmd.
Creates soundbanks and other s!@t.

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 01:57 PM »
"So, I uninstalled WMD".........
BUT I DIDN'T EVEN PLAY WMD YET, AND PROPERLY1!!111!!!11111ONE1!!!!1111

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline Ytrojan

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 08:53 PM »
The only way that WMD could be worse is if they used Microtransactions!
Imagine What a Buck Could Do!

I now declare a brand new league (and the successor to the failed Ultra League): WormsRF!

Offline skunk3

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Honestly WMD is NOT a bad game at all. The main problem with WMD is that it could have been so much better in several ways if they just continued supporting it and if they had an extensive alpha/beta test period with people who know what they are talking about, not just random noobs. The current word from Team17 (as of the time of this writing) is that Team17 is planning on releasing a patch sometime soon but from what I understand, it's basically just going to be bug fixes and not anything substantial. I've posted to the Steam forums some basic improvements that could be made to the game without substantial work on Team17's part... primarily added options. Team17 is still claiming that they don't plan on releasing another Worms title in the forseeable future, which makes some people happy but bums other people out.

I actually reinstalled WMD a couple of weeks ago and I've been playing it a bit here and there. I am so used to the certain shortcomings and annoyances of the game that I can now enjoy it for what it is... a Worms game that had potential to be awesome but fell way short of the mark. My primary gripe with WMD these days is the fact that it is very hard to find good matches. I don't know if it's because of my time zone or what, but the game is pretty dead most of the time, and when you can find matches hosted, 9 times out of 10 the scheme is something retarded, like... 60 second turns with infinite ropes and infinite hhg's and tons of crafting crates. The skill level of the average WMD player is terrible. I regularly will play games with 3 or 4 players vs. me and I  win almost all of the time. My unranked win rate is about 65% because I play so many stupid schemes in which almost anyone can win. My ranked win rate is about 65% as well because the ranked scheme is trash and crafting makes it so that you cannot possibly predict what anyone is going to use at any given time, which throws off classic Worms strategy. You have 2 worms fairly close to each other? They will just craft a poison grenade 2 seconds before the end of your turn. They used their dynamite already and you have a worm at 59 hp? They will craft a triple barrel shotgun. They wasted their ropes and jetpack and you have the high ground? They will craft a triple bunker buster. It's so cheesy and dumb that I refuse to play ranked anymore now that I have my Armageddon level unlocks. (Flaming power bar, etc.)

Also, one thing that I really hate about WMD is the fact that basically nobody chats at all. Not even text chat. The game has built-in voice chat and NOBODY uses it. The games feel lonely because nobody talks. 

Offline nino

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 01:25 PM »
Where is Jonno? lol
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline Thewolensheep

• The MEGA retard.

• A f@$!%$! loser.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 01:31 PM »
Where is Jonno? lol
He's sucking Team17''s dick
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:34 PM by TheCrazedGuy »

Offline nino

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 08:46 PM »
Where is Jonno? lol

hmmm like i thought!

he left worms WMD 1st than skunk3

Offline Thewolensheep

• The MEGA retard.

• A f@$!%$! loser.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 10:47 PM »
Where is Jonno? lol

hmmm like i thought!

he left worms WMD 1st than skunk3
Yes and now he's f@#!ing Team17's ass.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2018, 10:18 PM »
Where is Jonno? lol

Jonno is a cool guy. I don't know why you guys hate him so much. He isn't a dev. He doesn't have control over anything. All he does is relay information.

Offline nino

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 07:59 PM »
I dont hate him, i just miss him

Offline HHC

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2018, 09:21 PM »
just married and already flirting with other men, class act this nino guy  ???

Offline nino

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 11:37 PM »
Cos king ae