Forums
April 19, 2024, 06:59 PM

Author Topic: Team17 has announced Worms WMD  (Read 63296 times)

Offline HHC

Re: Team17 has announced Worms WMD
« Reply #390 on: June 06, 2016, 11:40 AM »
And besides, it's an arcade game. These new worms aren't meant for super-customizibility, even if it's just for the simple reason that the graphics are more demanding. In WA every dummy can make a map with a few straight lines and dots, but you cant transfer that to more polished looking 2.3D'ish environments. Anyone who has played Reloaded knows it was a much more painful process to create a map there. And WMD will probably be worse, as the 2d graphics of the T17 maps look splendid. I reckon the map editor won't be much more than creating a general shape and then letting the editor turn this bland shape into an awesome 2d environment that looks identical to the maps that you see posted by T17.

WMD aint gonna have ropers and shoppers I reckon, as AFAIK it was no borders. So even if you manage to create straight lines in the editor you still have goodies falling on top of the 'roof'.

Ropa made good post. Don't evaluate this like its some kind of WA, evaluate it for what it is. An arcade game with a different set-up that is unsuited for straight-copying schemes and shit from WA, but that may offer different opportunities.
Not as many opportunities as WA, but still opportunities. For example, T17 posted an image of a random map that had 2 islands with a castle-building on top of it, it looked like a really great fort map. If the map editor allows you to place vehicles on the map, you might give each player a tank to start with and let the fun commence.

Btw bunkerbuster is overrated. In the other titles it was a pretty cruddy weap most of the time. Did little damage, had limited range, needed to be 100% precise to even do dmg and couldnt fall through multiple layers of terrain. It was kinda like mole strike in WA...

Offline Sensei

« Reply #391 on: June 06, 2016, 11:47 AM »
Is it just me or worms movement got much slower and more annoying over the years? 

Offline Tomtysti

« Reply #392 on: June 06, 2016, 12:28 PM »
For the record, there are some noteworthy differences between the behavior of the Blowtorch and the Pneumatic Drill in WA. The torch always makes a smooth path, but the drill path is slightly jagged, allowing for footholds and unpredictable (a positive in this case) object bounces. Also, the drill can be triggered from a rope, breaking your fall similar to a Parachute.

Many, if not all of the weapons in WA have little quirks like these. Whether intended to be useful or not, they ARE under certain situations that DO happen.

Just remember to not be too rigid, and let the weapons have some personality. :)

Yeah, these little things are a big part of what makes WA so replayble. It's not always bad to get rid of things, if there will be enough other similar little gimmicks and details replacing them, but based on what we've seen, I'm not that convinced there will be (I have not forgotten the disasters that Reloaded/Revolution/etc. were).

I'm aware WMD will not be WA 2.0 and it's crazy to expect that, but it's still important to not just accept every design choice Team17 makes and to be vocal about the concerns. And isn't it possible for a game to be both accessible for newbies/casuals and have the deeper gameplay aspects for more serious players?

I know I'm really negative and go in this crazy person mode whenever discussing Worms :P We'll see, maybe it won't be as bad as I anticipate it to be.

These new worms aren't meant for super-customizibility, even if it's just for the simple reason that the graphics are more demanding.

That doesn't really apply to scheme/weapon customization, and is a crap excuse for limited map editor too.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:38 PM by Tomtysti »

Offline Kradie

« Reply #393 on: June 06, 2016, 12:51 PM »
I hope WMD will have lobby and in game chat ignore and kick.

So you can kick ppl who doesn't like zar schemes? haha :)

Only if one can host ZaR Roper in WMD that would be great.

Good news is, you can import PNG maps, so borders wont be a problem.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 06, 2016, 01:20 PM »

Yeah, these little things are a big part of what makes WA so replayble. It's not always bad to get rid of things, if there will be enough other similar little gimmicks and details replacing them, but based on what we've seen, I'm not that convinced there will be

My god. Yes. Let's design schemes before the game is out. Let's predict what schemes will spawn! Let's forget it only took Darts 10 years after the game was released to come to be.

MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Tomtysti

« Reply #395 on: June 06, 2016, 01:47 PM »
My god. Yes. Let's design schemes before the game is out. Let's predict what schemes will spawn! Let's forget it only took Darts 10 years after the game was released to come to be.

The past few games had very limited scheme editors and there hasn't been any proof of WMD having a more advanced one. Sue me for being a little skeptical! :P

Offline skunk3

« Reply #396 on: June 06, 2016, 03:57 PM »
And besides, it's an arcade game. These new worms aren't meant for super-customizibility, even if it's just for the simple reason that the graphics are more demanding. In WA every dummy can make a map with a few straight lines and dots, but you cant transfer that to more polished looking 2.3D'ish environments. Anyone who has played Reloaded knows it was a much more painful process to create a map there. And WMD will probably be worse, as the 2d graphics of the T17 maps look splendid. I reckon the map editor won't be much more than creating a general shape and then letting the editor turn this bland shape into an awesome 2d environment that looks identical to the maps that you see posted by T17.

WMD aint gonna have ropers and shoppers I reckon, as AFAIK it was no borders. So even if you manage to create straight lines in the editor you still have goodies falling on top of the 'roof'.

Ropa made good post. Don't evaluate this like its some kind of WA, evaluate it for what it is. An arcade game with a different set-up that is unsuited for straight-copying schemes and shit from WA, but that may offer different opportunities.
Not as many opportunities as WA, but still opportunities. For example, T17 posted an image of a random map that had 2 islands with a castle-building on top of it, it looked like a really great fort map. If the map editor allows you to place vehicles on the map, you might give each player a tank to start with and let the fun commence.

Btw bunkerbuster is overrated. In the other titles it was a pretty cruddy weap most of the time. Did little damage, had limited range, needed to be 100% precise to even do dmg and couldnt fall through multiple layers of terrain. It was kinda like mole strike in WA...

Actually, that's part about the bunker buster isn't entirely accurate. The bunker buster CAN go through multiple levels of terrain. It only blows after it has gone through "X" depth... it is also a point-and-click weapon that has no range limitation aside from the max depth by which it can drill. I think the bunker buster did 30 dmg by default in Reloaded, and the dmg in the 2.5D games was dependent upon worm glass. I wanna say 20-35 dmg, depending. Literally the only way to protect yourself from it (in Reloaded) was to hide with enough terrain above you for the bunker buster to blow before it reaches you, or to be standing directly under an object, such as a sentry gun, mine, barrel, etc. In the 2.5D games the girders are treated as physics objects rather than a normal part of the terrain, so one could hide under those, or a drain hole, or a lucky charm, whatever. At least it's affected by the magnet. The bunker buster variants are three of the most annoying weapons ever created... and the mega bunker buster is the worst of the bunch. A point-and-click HHG that can hit worms underground... smh.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 06, 2016, 04:00 PM »
HHC is the best player in the world in worms reloaded, revolution, black ops etc

please treat his opinion as dogma
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline HHC

« Reply #398 on: June 06, 2016, 04:09 PM »
skunk3's right tho, i was in doubt myself. But yeah, I still think it was an overrated weap. It has limitations.. and Reloaded/Revo online was a noobbash fest neway, darksiding would generally only get yourself in needless trouble. Much easier to seek confrontation. IMO that's not bad for a worms game. As with many games going on the offence is a better idea 90% of the time, even in elite.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #399 on: June 06, 2016, 04:16 PM »
I wish I had a filter to ignore ropa and sbaffo. TUS would be way cooler with that in place lol

I do enjoy watching ropa trying to be generally nicer on the forums since he is being watched and has a very real chance of getting a permaban.

I'm not trying. The only reason I'm on watched is so you can stop reporting posts and stop annoying the hell out of the moderation team. You think I'm on watched because I called you ugly? For f@#!'s sake, your picture is posted for all to see. This is the third or fourth post you make to share your personal opinion on me and nothing else, you're witch hunting and backseat moderating, two universal bads in any community that's run with coherency and not at the expense of the vocal minority, in this case, the two loudest most spammy and annoying posters in the whole forum whose lack of perspective, secondary or college education makes interaction with them a real pain in the ass.

You expect us to sit here and watch you two thread shitters make this thread about your own personal issues?

I've gotten feedback from most of the posts I've made here about worms. You, on the other hand, making posts about Ropa and sBaffo while Komodo cries about a scheme 3 people play.

You're dragging us all back.

So basically what you are telling me, if I am correct, is that the moderation team simply put a "watched" status on your account purely for the sake of placating me and not because of you acting like a little twat? Is that how it is? You're either:

A) Lying
B) Demonstrating how the mod team isn't doing their job properly

Shame either way.

The forum rules are clear, and you've violated them - repeatedly. Hell, you used an alias account to act like your usual, butthole self, got caught, got that account banned, and then are posting back on TUS with your normal account in no time at all as though no rules apply to you because you're the mighty Ropa. I dunno who is more wrong here TBH, you or the mods.

The only time I ever post about you is when you provide me with ammunition. Since you are you, and are wont to suffer from diarrhea of the mouth, there's an endless supply of ammo. Witch hunting? Backseat moderating? Guilty of both charges. I like to see rules enforced with no exceptions or preferential treatment. I'm sure that I'm not alone in that regard.

You literally cannot interact with most people without making some sort of an insult. In quote above, you insinuated or outright said:

1. I am "annoying" the mod team by reporting your crap a couple of times (2-3 times at most, and all deserved)
2. You essentially repeated your comment about my appearance without doing so
3. You insulted my intelligence (I actually have 3 university degrees and nearly enough credits for a fourth, in political science)

I guess I don't understand because I "lack perspective," eh? What a laugh. Nobody is dragging anyone back here, aside from the egos/attitudes/combativeness/derision of TWO individuals in particular. (Hint: I am not one of the two.) This forum has become a hell of a lot more interesting since I started posting, at least according to the people who have shared that thought with me.

Better stay on good behavior, Ropa! We'd all hate to see you get permabanned. Although, it's not as though you wouldn't just create an alias account and starting lurking/posting again anyway.

To everyone else: You're welcome. :)

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:39 PM by skunk3 »

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 06, 2016, 04:30 PM »
didn't read lol

but I assume he's yet again sharing his opinion on me in that wall of text as if anyone cared, in this thread of of all threads

you're awkward, do you get that a lot?
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #401 on: June 06, 2016, 04:31 PM »
skunk3's right tho, i was in doubt myself. But yeah, I still think it was an overrated weap. It has limitations.. and Reloaded/Revo online was a noobbash fest neway, darksiding would generally only get yourself in needless trouble. Much easier to seek confrontation. IMO that's not bad for a worms game. As with many games going on the offence is a better idea 90% of the time, even in elite.

I don't think it's overrated. The normal bunker buster does a decent amount of dmg and can hit worms in weird places. The super bunker buster (Reloaded) is basically the same, only it destroys a huge amount of terrain while doing so, and can hit multiple worms. (The dmg is the same IIRC.) The mega bunker buster is OP as f@#!!

There's actually some really good players who play the newer games and know them with the detail and intimacy that most of us know W:A. It is mostly a noobfest for an experienced W:A player, but believe me when I say there's some seriously skilled pros that play (or used to play, at least). Players of the newer games are just now getting to a point in which they know how to deal with darksider tactics in a somewhat effective manner. Since most of them suck at shot-making, one could darkside and BNG it up until the other teams are dead because many of the players in those communities are worthless if they don't have some sort of cheap weapon to use, or a straight zook shot lined up.

Darksiding is a bit more important in W:A than it is in the other games, because in those games there are objects like sentry guns, lucky charms, magnets, physics objects, water, UFO, telekinesis, worship, ferrets, etc. It makes it a lot easier to be a lightsider.

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #402 on: June 08, 2016, 12:16 PM »
gg drill
[attachment=1]
I'll miss you

.:Edit:. oh, just realized that attached gifs don't play automatically... hm, strange
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #403 on: June 08, 2016, 12:34 PM »
Been playing Clan Wars again, getting really excited about WMD now.

Pulled off the greatest zook ever onto a worm on a moving platform through a long tunnel curving downwards, another reason why WA is superior, replays...  There wasn't even any instant replay so I could record on my phone quickly :(

Really love the explosions, some of the new weapons compared to WA, graphics and single player in Clan Wars, but yeah the interface and controls let it down big time, that and ninja rope being almost useless.

@Jonno - By no means am I in a rush but round about what time do you think we could expect WMD released? Summer? Autumn? Winter? 2017?

Offline Jonno_Team17

« Reply #404 on: June 08, 2016, 04:15 PM »
Been playing Clan Wars again, getting really excited about WMD now.

Pulled off the greatest zook ever onto a worm on a moving platform through a long tunnel curving downwards, another reason why WA is superior, replays...  There wasn't even any instant replay so I could record on my phone quickly :(

Really love the explosions, some of the new weapons compared to WA, graphics and single player in Clan Wars, but yeah the interface and controls let it down big time, that and ninja rope being almost useless.

@Jonno - By no means am I in a rush but round about what time do you think we could expect WMD released? Summer? Autumn? Winter? 2017?

Hey crew,

Just to let you know I won't be on the forums next week as I'll be at E3 with Worms W.M.D

You'll want to keep an eye on what comes out of there :)
Community Manager at Team17