Forums
March 29, 2024, 06:47 AM

Author Topic: Tether: A worms rope-inspired game  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Sycotropic

Tether: A worms rope-inspired game
« on: June 11, 2020, 06:46 AM »
Hey guys,

I was pretty active on W:A years ago but was never really active on here.. I've still been hopping on every so often to play some casual games with friends, but I haven't been active in the community in ages.

I'm also a hobby game dev and in my free time I've been playing around with trying to match worms rope physics. I have it reproduced fairly well and I'd like to start going further with the game, but I'd love some feedback about direction and the current feel of it.

My current plan is to make it a fairly simple single player A to B game similar to the likes of Super Meat Boy or Celeste.
The levels would start out simple with nothing more than a cavern to rope through, and they would get progressively more difficult (adding things that can kill you other than just falling, complex obstacles that require more roping finesse, etc).
I would love for the obstacles to be designed in such a way that they actually require you to do certain tricks like a shadow, but if not those things will always be tools to get faster times.

I only have a few really basic levels and some placeholder art, but it's already pretty fun to rope around.
Some of the added obstacles I've added are pretty interesting. I've added saws, walls that kill you on touch (red), and walls your rope won't hook on to (light gray).
Currently if you're ever touching the terrain while your rope isn't attached you die and the level is reset.

Here's a link to the itch.io page where you can downlaod a build of the game (windows only right now): https://syc.itch.io/tether

Let me know what you guys think!

Also I'm only really working on this occasionally in my free time but if I were to find a talented artist or other serious collaborators I'd definitely be down to invest more time into it.

Offline koalefant

Re: Tether: A worms rope-inspired game
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 05:42 PM »
Looks quite promising!
I gave it a try: the first encounter with circular saws is quite challenging, could not get past those yet.
Working on a Shopper-inspired game about frogs: https://CrateBeforeAttack.com

Offline koalefant

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 12:19 PM »
A bit of feedback, regarding the input: most notable thing for me was slow rope contraction/elongation speed. According to my observations it is around 200px / second in WA, if you consider it to be a reference.
Working on a Shopper-inspired game about frogs: https://CrateBeforeAttack.com

Offline doc

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 01:59 PM »
This is great. I think it's a bit slow for people who already pros at roping though. Flying worm speed reminds of newer games like Worms WMD. Also, personally i don't like that you die when you touch walls when not connected to a wall... It's too difficult for most people. Like NES Mario Bros difficult :D. I suggest you to get inspired by games like "VVVVVV".

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 03:05 AM »
Finally got a chance to try this. It's great, I love it, lots of fun. Too slow you say? There's no speed limit LOL it's super fast. The physics are great, and I like how falls are quick and painless. Just need more levels.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 03:15 AM by j0e »

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 09:22 AM »

Offline Zemke

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 12:55 PM »
This is great fun already!

Offline StepS

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 09:18 AM »
Great work!
The only feedback as has been said already, the up/down speed is very slow compared to left/right.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]