Forums
April 24, 2024, 07:38 AM

Author Topic: Worms Clan wars  (Read 4283 times)

Offline skunk3

Re: Worms Clan wars
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2016, 02:40 PM »
I am one of the few Worms players who actively plays / played all of the Worms titles. Clan Wars / Battlegrounds is actually a very good game once you recover from your initial "wtf?" shock factor, which isn't as much of a shock if you played Revolution as well. Yeah, the rope is vastly different in CW/BG/Rev, but it's still pretty usable once you get the hang of it. The 2.5D nature of the game also causes some issues with perspective and whatnot, but you get used to it. The game actually has some awesome features...

1. Worms 'classes' - being able to choose from soldier, heavy, scientist and scout worms allows players to customize their play style and makes matches a bit more dynamic
2. Dynamic water - a great addition to the series that adds another layer of depth
3. Physics objects - these aren't implemented perfectly by any means when playing online (they show more variety / purpose in the campaign modes), but still fun nonetheless

If you ask me, Clan Wars is the best of the newer-gen Worms titles, and Reloaded is the worst. Reloaded has a beautiful aesthetic, but the core mechanics are just trash, which is sad. The rope is also retarded, especially on the console versions.

Offline HHC

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2016, 02:48 PM »
For me Clan wars was by far the worst experience. Mostly cause it was meant to be played online, with clans, and the online didnt work for uhh is it working now? Surely the servers are dead now, even if they work.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2016, 02:59 PM »
clan wars is shit, sorry vince.  WMD looks promising though.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 03:14 PM »
Here's the problem(s) with Clan Wars:

1. There is only one ranked clanner scheme (aside from forts, I think), and it totally sucks.
2. The rankings system is trash. Simple wins vs. losses. Whatever clan plays the most is "the best."
3. CW for PC is basically dead already. This is because Team17 divided the community between PC, Mac, and consoles. Eventually people got tired of looking for matches and quit playing the game. The PS4 version (Battlegrounds) is actually pretty active!

Walrus, do you own Clan Wars or Battlegrounds? It's really not trash at all. I just think you're unwilling to give it a fair shot. It's actually really entertaining.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 03:34 PM »
Here's the problem(s) with Clan Wars:

1. There is only one ranked clanner scheme (aside from forts, I think), and it totally sucks.
2. The rankings system is trash. Simple wins vs. losses. Whatever clan plays the most is "the best."
3. CW for PC is basically dead already. This is because Team17 divided the community between PC, Mac, and consoles. Eventually people got tired of looking for matches and quit playing the game. The PS4 version (Battlegrounds) is actually pretty active!

Walrus, do you own Clan Wars or Battlegrounds? It's really not trash at all. I just think you're unwilling to give it a fair shot. It's actually really entertaining.
yeh i got clan wars, never played battlegrounds

Offline skunk3

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 03:57 PM »
Well, BG is literally just CW for console. Dunno why Team17 insists on making things confusing. Probably because when CW launched (supposedly as a PC exclusive), they said it will be the last Worms game for quite some time. Shortly thereafter they rename CW and release it for consoles. WTF, Team17. Oh well. I actually prefer BG for PS4 because I like being able to play it on my big screen with a wireless controller. I suppose you can do that with CW as well, but meh. The PS4 version is pretty active. I never have a problem finding matches or getting people to join my hosts. Well, rarely. The main problem is that you will often find yourself in 2 or 3 vs. 1 matches... because that community is a bunch of turds for the most part and friends will team up with you and do everything possible to kill you, including killing themselves. With some schemes it's impossible to avoid a loss, but with the right scheme I can fend off 3 other players and win.

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 04:04 PM »
The main problem is that you will often find yourself in 2 or 3 vs. 1 matches... because that community is a bunch of turds for the most part and friends will team up with you and do everything possible to kill you, including killing themselves.
you basically described W:A's HostingBuddy-made Intermediate games
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline skunk3

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 04:12 PM »
The main problem is that you will often find yourself in 2 or 3 vs. 1 matches... because that community is a bunch of turds for the most part and friends will team up with you and do everything possible to kill you, including killing themselves.

Yeah, I imagine that most of those "!host normal" games are being hosted by noobs who don't understand W:A's implicit code of ethics.

On that note, the main thing that bugs me about the newer Worms games is that none of the players have any honor. There's no rules in any scheme, either. It's just a big, noobtastic, free-for-all. I should record and upload some BG gameplay footage sometime just so I can show you guys how cheap these newer players are. I've tried explaining to them that if you work with your friend(s) and single out an enemy, you're not developing skills. All you're doing is trolling. W:A is great because people know how to act. People understand that there are rules to schemes and that you can't just do whatever you want.

I am hoping to see this sort of "Worms common sense" come back in WMD. We need W:A player support to make that happen though. The old schoolers need to serve as educators for these poor scrubs in more ways than one.

Offline Tomtysti

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2016, 05:58 PM »
I haven't played much in the past couple of years, but when I did, this teamin up crap was pretty rare in W:A. Sure there are a lot of noobs/assholes and 1v1v1v1v1 free-for-alls are inherently a big mess.

Revolution/Clan Wars are big piles of laggy and dumbed down horse shit.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2016, 06:01 PM »
I don't understand why there are people who are active on the TUS forums, yet don't play Worms.

wtf? lol

I see lots of familiar names on here posting yet I haven't seen them in AG in ages. What gives?

Offline Kradie

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2016, 06:09 PM »
They usually lurk on some irc channel and plan games. They chat there, arrange their games privately, and host them. Rest of the community are beneath their level :P
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline skunk3

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2016, 06:22 PM »
They usually lurk on some irc channel and plan games. They chat there, arrange their games privately, and host them. Rest of the community are beneath their level :P

That's so boring. With a game as old as W:A, we shouldn't be advocating exclusivity. I know that there's always going to be a core group of players as long as servers are up, but that kinda illustrates why I'm not as in love with W:A as I used to be. I'm also tired of people who don't play anything but ranked games. Leagues have been around for ages, but in a way I hate them. W:A was far more fun when AG was loaded with people all having a good time and playing whatever instead of spamming for league matches and taking everything so seriously. Truth be told, the WormNET experience is kinda boring these days. There's a handful of people who still play who make it fun, but overall the fun factor has diminished significantly IMHO. I love the game and always will, but it just doesn't have that addictiveness anymore... and that's not because the game isn't great, it's because the community has gotten worse.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2016, 06:36 PM »

That's so boring. With a game as old as W:A, we shouldn't be advocating exclusivity. I know that there's always going to be a core group of players as long as servers are up, but that kinda illustrates why I'm not as in love with W:A as I used to be. I'm also tired of people who don't play anything but ranked games. Leagues have been around for ages, but in a way I hate them. W:A was far more fun when AG was loaded with people all having a good time and playing whatever instead of spamming for league matches and taking everything so seriously. Truth be told, the WormNET experience is kinda boring these days. There's a handful of people who still play who make it fun, but overall the fun factor has diminished significantly IMHO. I love the game and always will, but it just doesn't have that addictiveness anymore... and that's not because the game isn't great, it's because the community has gotten worse.

Exactly this. I mostly cruise around hosting funners, but most are resilient to the idea of having fun. Although I guess people can define competitive gaming as fun too.

I like to promote new schemes, but not everyone appreciate it and say ''We don't need any more schemes!'' For me, this game promote creativity with all the customizable options that are available, it really is fun for me.  I hope WMD can offer me the same benefits and more...
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline skunk3

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2016, 06:57 PM »
Worms, in it's best state, is a fully-customizable sandbox. (Or at least highly customizable.)

I love playing new schemes and just playing for fun. I also like getting serious sometimes and playing roper / rr or whatever, but yeah... W:A may never 'die' per se, but it's definitely gone downhill. Take away bots and snoopers from AG and what do you have? :/

Offline Tomtysti

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 08:27 AM »
I don't understand why there are people who are active on the TUS forums, yet don't play Worms.

wtf? lol

I see lots of familiar names on here posting yet I haven't seen them in AG in ages. What gives?

I don't play WA much anymore for two reasons. 1., because I get easily addicted to WA and I don't have time for that right now  :P. 2. reason is the community, don't really care about competitive games and there are a lot of dicks and complete noobs playing, a lot of which don't speak english.

I also would play a lot more if hosting my own custom schemes was easier. Now if I host a nice custom normal type scheme, most people quit or whine, because they don't understand it, because there is no easy way of explaining the rules and weapon powers etc. There should be a quick, easy way for all the players to check the rules and scheme settings in the lobby and during the game.

I keep myself informed of new Worms games and WA updates though, because WA is my favourite game of all-time, don't think there's anything wrong in that.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:29 AM by Tomtysti »