Forums
March 29, 2024, 05:17 AM

Author Topic: WWP: A real compatibility fix for Windows 11 / 10 / 8.1 / 7 / Vista / XP  (Read 102101 times)

Offline nami

Re: WWP: A real compatibility fix for Windows 10, 8.1, 7, Vista and XP
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2019, 09:32 AM »
Is there a way to use it in 1.01 my language?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 09:36 AM by nami »

Offline StepS

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2019, 12:47 PM »
That is interesting, I haven't seen such a version. I suppose you mean ReSolution (because the compat patch itself should work fine on any version).
Your EXE indicates a timestamp of 04/02/2002 05:13:50, which is roughly a year later than 05/14/2001 15:32:59 of the European version.

This will need looking up all the differences between EU and this for ReSolution to work.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline nami

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2019, 01:07 PM »
That is interesting, I haven't seen such a version. I suppose you mean ReSolution (because the compat patch itself should work fine on any version).
Your EXE indicates a timestamp of 04/02/2002 05:13:50, which is roughly a year later than 05/14/2001 15:32:59 of the European version.

This will need looking up all the differences between EU and this for ReSolution to work.
What I really needed was only the fix. :'(
Running the only fix in my language 1.01 puts the frontend in windowed :-\ mode. And I can't select the menu.

This will be the same if you run the my wwp.exe+only fix from your WWP setup folder.

When running frontend in fullscreen, I will be able to select the menu.

And timestamp of 04/02/2002. Because Korean WWP was released around April 2002. :)

Offline PABLEXWorld

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2020, 07:48 PM »
Thanks for this, amazing work. Could you please look into getting the crashes on Wine fixed though? I have a Windows 10 VM where the game runs perfectly with ReSolution + wndmode, but I'd rather not have to boot such a massive VM just to play this game on Linux :P

This is what I tried to do (I'm running a 64-bit Arch Linux with the KDE Plasma desktop environment btw):
1. I set up a fresh Wine 5.4 prefix in 32-bit mode (export WINEARCH=win32) and enabled emulated desktop in winecfg to prevent the game from messing with my screen resolution and bitdepth settings (tried without emulated desktop and makes no difference except after force-closing the game I have to manually change the resolution back to normal after the fact). I also installed all the optional and multilib dependencies for Wine to get the game's audio working out of the box (winetricks was not involved).
2. From that point onward, running WWP through Wine on Linux as-is (wine wwp.exe) runs the game and you can hear the audio, but you're left with a black screen.
3. Installing ReSolution + wndmode with default settings at first changed nothing. I knew that this was because dll hooks don't load without tweaking Wine settings. After starting winecfg and adding dsound to the library overrides (as native, then builtin) causes the game to crash instantly on startup (and Wine debug window shows crash occurs in wndmode.dll).
4. When tweaking wndmode.ini and setting UseGDI or UseDirect3D to 1 and setting UseDirectDraw to 0, game boots and displays the frontend correctly. But it crashes when trying to start any match, right before the loading screen cake appears. Interestingly enough, the game does get ingame without the mod (I managed to mash my way ingame blind and it didn't crash. I could hear it from the audio and the virtual desktop screen also turned white. Granted, getting here meant ignoring the warning in the files and I admit that I don't know what I'm doing, changing those settings. But if the mod didn't instant crash with UseDirectDraw=1, maybe I could get ingame?)

I also tried adding cnc-ddraw into the mix as well, see if that prevented the directdraw crash. It didn't.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:25 PM by PABLEXWorld »

Offline GrO

• 🌞🌞🌞🌞♾️🌞🌞🌞🌞

• Poland Poland
  • ⚘🌹🌷 🌿 🌻 🍀 🌷🌹⚘
    • View Profile
    • 440Hz >>> 432Hz
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2020, 05:46 PM »
...another fantastic work, thank you StepS.

...even the Light needs a background, or some dirt, to become visible... ...

Offline krzysztofbiermudzki

This fix does not work with the Polish local retail version.  :-\  Zooming/Resizing This can't be done with any key.  :-\  How can I fix this, can I do it myself?  ;)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 05:41 PM by krzysztofbiermudzki »

Offline hansen_b

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2023, 06:41 PM »
Good News,

thanks to the hints of PABLEXWorld WWP with resolution fix is now working with Wine in Virtual Desktop Mode!

1. Wine 8.19 configured to use a virtual desktop can run standard WWP 1.01 in XGA resolution
2. As the dsound.dll from the patch ist ignored by default, you need to override it in wincfg (first native, then builtin)
3. Remove the files wkWndMode.dll and wndmode.dll from the WWP dir (otherwise game will crash)
4. My Ini File for my FullHD Screen (Note that the virtuel Desktop in winecfg has the same resolution):
[Resolution]
ScreenWidth=1820
ScreenHeight=960

[Resizing]
Enable=0
ProgressiveUpdate=0
AltEnter=1

[Zooming]
Enable=0
UseMouseWheel=1
UseKeyboardZoom=1
UseTouchscreenZoom=1
5. During Main Screen / Game Menus displayed in VGA, the window will not permanently catch the mouse, good time to move the Wine Window to the upper left corner of your desk.:)
6. Enjoy (there seems to be quite a bit of overhead compared to native Windows FullHD)

Thanks to Wine Team and StepS for their great work!