Forums
March 28, 2024, 07:43 PM

Author Topic: Triad's PC Builds ($300 - $2000)  (Read 11295 times)

Offline Sensei

Re: Triad's PC Builds ($300 - $2000)
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2019, 03:01 PM »
So basically, you'll get a refund and delivery man will have to overpay that junk..

Not cool at all! :)

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2019, 04:22 PM »
Not sure why I bothered posting here now, you certainly don't give the impression you know very much about computers Sensei.

Offline SiD

« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2019, 05:31 PM »
Buying a used thinkpad I think is a good idea. They are built to LAST! and there tends to be a lot of them about due to it being a popular choice for businesses.
I've had a T460 for a few years and fully expecting it to carry me into the 20s.

But daaamn your one is old! and maybe a little pricey.
I also don't think it has Intel 630 graphics. (Intel HD 4000 maybe?)

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2019, 06:35 PM »
Buying a used thinkpad I think is a good idea. They are built to LAST! and there tends to be a lot of them about due to it being a popular choice for businesses.
I've had a T460 for a few years and fully expecting it to carry me into the 20s.

Can confirm sid is dead on, my friend has 2 IBM thinkpads he uses for work with some docking system, they are both like 7 or 8 years old and work perfect.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 06:39 PM by TheWalrus »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2019, 07:00 PM »

It's been refurbished, and product details said Intel 630 graphics, if that isn't the case i'll definitely be sending it back and getting a refund.

Edit - I actually think you are right man...

This is the product description on the page where I bought it:

But after doing research on this design of laptop, they are saying it comes with 4000, so i've sent an email asking which it is, and if it's 4000 and not 630 then i'll be wanting a refund so I can purchase something else.

I do really want a thinkpad, I was speaking to M3ntal when doing my research and he said the same thing as you SiD, they are built to last and very good laptops!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 07:06 PM by TheKomodo »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2019, 07:12 PM »
@SiD

If I get a refund on this, because of the way they've screwed the delivery and the product description, you reckon you could find me a better deal? What would you recommend?

The refund will be £233.95 so that's my budget, but I could perhaps put in an extra £10-£30 if I can get something much better?

I definitely want this old style with VGA Port, DVD-ReWriter etc.

Edit - Wait, wtf, is this sh*t legal??

I can't view my order anymore but I checked out another one exactly the same, the 1st product description says 630, the part under it says 4000:

How the f**k they get away with being misleading like that? If it's the same for mine i'm gonna be raging, I always go by the specs part on the top... Damn... Yeah partly stupid on my behalf but what the actual f**k! I can tolerate my delivery being a few days late but having misleading advertisement is not on man...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 07:30 PM by TheKomodo »

Offline SiD

« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2019, 09:31 PM »
What would you recommend?
Chuck away your DVDs, benefit from a life less cluttered and a system with less moving parts.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2019, 10:41 PM »
You're right Komo, I'm not a biggest tech junkie around, but I know a bad deal when I see one.
Paying that money for this rig is not worth it even if their thinkpads are made of same material ppl use to build rockets.

Under hood is what really matters and you're buying 3rd gen of i5 with 2 cores, only 4gb of slower ddr3 ram and less than 500gb of hdd (not even ssd) in 2019. On top of all - that's not even new, but refurbished product  :D

100-200$ - sure
300$ - nah.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2019, 11:14 PM »
Sensei, if you can find the same product, for a lot less money, I will accept it's a bad deal.

I understand it's a bad deal to you, because you only care about the power of the machine, the cpu, the memory, the graphics.

I already have a good laptop I got 3-4 years ago will last several more years:

Intel i7-6700K 4gz
64gb RAM - DDR4
GTX 980 (Desktop) 8gb
SSD Drive 500gb / and 1TB SATA

The one thing this laptop lacks, is a DVD drive, and I don't want an external one.

I don't want to give up my DVD collection, that's insane, I have so many of my favourite stuff on boxset:

Friends, South Park, Family Guy, Rodney, Star Trek TNG, American Dad, Scrubs to name a few, not to mention hundreds of films, and stand-up comedy dvds.

I am looking for something up to £250 that suits me, I like the look of it, and does the job I want, and the thinkpad does exactly that, it's got weight to it, it's robust, it has nice speakers, a DVD Re-Writer, i've heard better reviews about the durability and reliability about this kind of laptop than anything else within the same price range, and quite frankly, older products just last longer because of materials used, and the biggest geek I know says it's a great laptop as well.

I couldn't find a cheaper deal, or better thinkpad, for my budget, by all means, if you think you can find me a better price for this laptop, please, i'm actually asking you, please find me a better price as i'll be returning this after discovering their advertisement of the graphics was misleading and being f**ked around with the delivery.

If you can help me find a better deal, or a better laptop with the same features, i'd appreciate it!

Edit - The thing i'm really disappointed in, is the top product description, the one that loads when you click "view product details", says "Intel HD Graphics 630" but then the part under it says "Intel HD Graphics 4000".

So i've bought it thinking I was getting 630 when actually could be getting 4000, it's not that big a deal as the only game i'd want to run is WA and it would handle that, but it's the fact they are advertising 2 completely different types of graphics for 1 product...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:25 PM by TheKomodo »

Offline Sensei

« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2019, 03:06 AM »
Sensei, if you can find the same product, for a lot less money, I will accept it's a bad deal.

Same model as yours, also refurbished product, sold by good reputation e-bayer:

1st result on the 1st page of google: https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-LENOVO-THINKPAD-T430-14-LAPTOP-CORE-i5-2-6GHz-4GB-RAM-320GB-HDD-WIN-7-PRO/323632327350?epid=9023572206&hash=item4b59fd6ab6:g:WV0AAOSwyGZZ~bjS

When you first posted specs of this thinkpad yesterday, I was actually checking it a bit to see how it handles nowadays. Found out that ppl buying these (with i5, 4gb ram and hdd) between 100-150$. While same model of thinkpad that goes up to 300$ are the ones equipped with i7, 8/16gb ram and ssd.

This false advertising about gpu chip is their "mistake" but also yours. Cause you knew which cpu you're getting and by that info it was clear you can't have better gpu chip than hd4000. Props to SiD for noticing.

I don't wanna mislead you, or "prove" you wrong.. Don't really care what you do with your money, but since you asked us, my personal opinion is that you should wait for better deal.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2019, 12:45 PM »
2gb RAM, with no HDD? I said the SAME laptop!

But yeah, i've returned the laptop, so will be looking for another deal.

But I am not getting a laptop with 2gb RAM and no HDD...

I'd like to see where you find this info them buying the same thing for $100 - $150 because I don't believe it.

What you posted has 2gb RAM, no HDD, no operating system, no power cable... Cmon man...

I mean the exact same specs as what I posted. (Obviously, with the 4000 instead of 630 now though)

I am seeing a lot of these laptops for $100 - $200, but they have less RAM and less HDD and other things missing, maybe that's why you saw it cheaper?

Try to find the same laptop, with the same specs, OS included, power cable included, HDD included lol, for less than £230.

Oh, also, it's important it's UK based, not from US please.

I've actually found a few people are selling 2nd hand for around £170, but i'd rather have one that's refurbished than purely 2nd hand.

Plus, the same thing I posted originally is being sold on Amazon for £210 now, so that's £20 cheaper already!

Is this legit?:

^^ Found that here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430s-i5-3520M-Professional/dp/B009UESY2I/ref=sr_1_59?m=A1I7RQYN151HCG&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1547816749&sr=1-59

i7 and nvidia graphics seems like a really good deal here for £195! And I have the choice of Windows 7 or Windows 10, but i'm skeptical, as even in the URL it says i5 not i7 so i've emailed them.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:16 PM by TheKomodo »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2019, 01:39 PM »
Honestly, this is very frustrating/depressing...

Almost every f**king laptop I look at on Amazon has dodgy information because the URL/quick description/product information are showing different information...

I had to send this email to a company there because of their information:

I have questions about several more laptops you have for sale and just wish to double check/confirm the product details as some of them seem a bit suspicious.

I recently ordered a laptop from another company selling on amazon that had the wrong product details so I have to be safe now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-ThinkPad-L430-24684XU-Notebook/dp/B00BFFBGO8/ref=sr_1_266?m=A1I7RQYN151HCG&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1547817810&sr=1-266

^^ Is this product Windows 8 or Windows 7? What graphics chipset does it use?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Thinkpad-L430-14in-128gb/dp/B01BNHF454/ref=sr_1_163?m=A1I7RQYN151HCG&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1547817639&sr=1-163

^^ I am led to believe the specs for this one are 8gb RAM, 128gb SSD drive, windows 7 professional, however it doesn't mention anything about the processor model except being simply i5, and doesn't mention what graphics chipset it is using, could you confirm these please?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430s-i5-3520M-Professional/dp/B009UESY2I/ref=sr_1_59?m=A1I7RQYN151HCG&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1547816749&sr=1-59

^^ In the URL ir says i5, but in the product information it says core i7, which is it? Also does this come with nvidia nvs 5200m or intel HD graphics 4000?

Trying to find out correct information so I can make an accurate purchase, thank you

This is ridiculous :/

Offline Sensei

« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2019, 06:44 PM »
2gb RAM, with no HDD? I said the SAME laptop!

But yeah, i've returned the laptop, so will be looking for another deal.

But I am not getting a laptop with 2gb RAM and no HDD...

Link I've posted is gone cause laptop has been sold meanwhile. Even other laptop they've put instead is with 300+ gb hdd and 4gb ram. I don't know what you're talking about.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2019, 08:40 PM »
Yeah and, for reasons, I don't want to import from US.

SiD showed me an ended bid that got an incredible offer.

The main difference between what you are showing me, and what I have been looking at are auctions vs buy it now.

I generally don't like auctions, i've heard too many bad stories about them, I done it once a few years back and got screwed over, and I prefer refurbished products rather than simply 2nd hand which are usually worn out more.

Definitely right that I can get better prices, but without importing from US the price difference isn't much, or the quality seems worse.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2019, 08:52 PM »
Link i posted you was same thinkpad, refurbished, uk seller. 100+£ lower price.

Anyway, don't know why i even tried to help. Gl with your purchase dude.