Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:29 PM

Author Topic: Boom for Weapons (BfW) - Boom Race + Walk for Weapons (2009 scheme in v3.8)  (Read 461 times)

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page

Released in 2009 with 15 maps on WMDB today, the concept of Boom for Weapons or BfW is a combination of Boom Race and Walk for Weapons. It is an anchor mode race about blasting your own worm (just like Boom Race) but this time the indestructible maps are filled with weapon sprites on the whole floor due to the mandatory rule of only using a weapon if the worm being controlled is adjacent to a sprite of that weapon (just like Walk for Weapons). The scheme takes Boom Race to another level, since it encourages the use of many different weapons; including Ninja Rope, Jet Pack, and even the Parachute; exploring a specific situation, allowing interesting combos sometimes (Walk for Weapons characteristic). Phased enemy worms + weapons + damage (/boom) is recommended (already included at the available v3.8 scheme).

Most (not to say all) BfW maps tradicionally use multishot, antisink and glue (100% friction) features, since the original map uses a scheme with these RubberWorm settings. Specifically the glue might be annoying, less fun or at least confuse some people (but it is pratically part of the scheme identity). This might change with time however, if players create maps for standard or different physics and people like playing this way. Note that, in theory, BfW can be played even without multishot.

A map + scheme association: there is not a universal scheme for Boom for Weapons. Maybe one day people elect a generic one (the original scheme is updated to v3.8 with almost all weapons, removing only the ones that could cause trouble, and it could be a strong candidate to a possible generic BfW's scheme), but usually each map has its own scheme settings (since they explore different mechanics), usually the settings are very similar (at least until 2020), with differences on the chosen weapons and especially the Jet Pack's fuel or the Ninja Rope number of shots.

Game manual

The set of rules marked with an * is a suggestion for competitions.

Mandatory rules
    STF (Start to Finish)* - Players must place their worm at the start and reach the finish.
    Use the pictured weapon/tool you are standing on* - Players must use the weapon represented by the picture their active worm is standing on. When the worm is between two weapon sprites, the player will be able to choose one of the weapons to advance the race.
    Weapons can be used until their end even at different weapon sprites* - This rule is to clarify and avoid confusion especially for the Shotgun's second shot, the Jet Pack's fuel, the Blowtorch "walk", etc. A weapon can be used until its end, even if the worm touches a different weapon sprite than the weapon it is currently using. This means you don't need to waste the second shot of the shotgun in the air, you can use the shot to progress at a different weapon sprite, being sometimes useful to skip a bad weapon sprite or to position the worm better. This also means you don't need to cancel the Jet Pack with space bar if you touch a different weapon sprite (you can actually use the terrain to save fuel). The same goes for the Blowtorch: you don't have to cancel Blowtorch if you touch a different weapon sprite while "walking" with it, unless you want to (because it looks more advantageous).

Optional rules
    Save State* - As if the game were being played on an emulator, players can use the "Save State" feature if they fall into a place that they have already passed, teleporting or moving back to the most advanced part they have been to.
    • Freely - Players are allowed use "Save State" whenever they want.
    • Situational - Players may use "Sava State" only if they fall into a very distant place. Usually players should reach an agreement, since this is subjective. The player in this setback situation should request the use of "Save State".
    • After a Number of Turns* - Players may use "Save State" only if they don't reach where they were in a stablished number of turns. Suggestion: maybe after 2 or 3 turns? The player in this setback situation should request the use of "Save State".
    • Limited number of times - Players are allowed to use "Save State" only 1, 2 or 3 times per match.
    Position Adjustment* - Players are allowed to adjust the position of a worm a few pixels with the Jet Pack or other weapon (keeping the worm on the same sprite, without moving to a different weapon) if it is very bad positioned and (pratically) stuck at a weapon sprite area (usually at its edge).
    • Freely - Players are allowed to use "Position Adjustment" whenever they want.
    • After One Turn* - Players are allowed to use "Position Adjustment" only if they get stuck for one whole turn at the same weapon sprite spot. The player in this setback situation should request the use of "Position Adjustment".
    • Limited number of times - Players are allowed to use "Position Adjustment" only 1, 2 or 3 times per match.

Objective
    The first player to blast his/her own worm using the determined weapons on the map and reach the finish will be the winner.

TUS link for the scheme: https://www.tus-wa.com/schemes/scheme-3407/#scheme-editor
    Available maps (15 today): https://www.wmdb.org/maps/?map%5Btitle%5D=BfW (search "BfW" or "Boom for Weapons")
    More details about this scheme can be found here: https://worms2d.info/Boom_for_Weapons

Special thanks to sbs for all the maps and the support for this scheme all these years[/list]
    « Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 06:17 AM by FoxHound »
    I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
    '

Offline Kaleu

This is a nice scheme I enjoyed playing, I'm glad you mentioned about the part of going backwards by a simple mistake but upon agreement both players can use tp, this is less irritating.
    Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
    • STF STF clan
    • WoSC WoSC community
    • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
      • View Profile
      • My Worms Knowledge Base page
    I added Optional rules now about teleporting back, I called them: "Save State".
    I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
    '