Which version of roper do you like?

Worms 2 Roper
6 (16.2%)
Normal Roper
25 (67.6%)
ZaR Roper
6 (16.2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Favorite Roper Scheme?  (Read 7079 times)

Offline skunk3

Re: Favorite Roper Scheme?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 05:00 AM »
I personally like the old fashioned (normal) pro roper scheme. ZaR roper is ok to play once in a while as something different, but I will never like it as much as Proper. One tiny little mistake and you lose your turn and (possibly) take damage? Bleh.

And since the thread is kinda derailed already, I just wanted to say that Big RR is my favorite rope-based scheme. Unlike TTRR, it comes down to who is the fastest and most consistent over many turns rather than having one nice turn.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 05:02 AM by skunk3 »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 11:09 AM »
Yeah, sorry, I admit I was distracted walking along the street with girlfriend while reading it I thought it was about favourite Roping schemes, sorry.

Have you typed all that while walking too? xD

The 1st post yeah we stopped for some food lol.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 11:50 AM »
I personally like the old fashioned (normal) pro roper scheme. ZaR roper is ok to play once in a while as something different, but I will never like it as much as Proper. One tiny little mistake and you lose your turn and (possibly) take damage? Bleh.

That's the whole point of ZaR Roper, it punishes you for making mistakes. In roper you depend too much on the parachute to back you up, and there's no elements to maneuver around such as mines and broken terrain.
If you are inconsistent and lack the commitment to not to fail and do quick and efficient turns, then ZaR isn't right for you. The poll obviously suggest this.

ZaR is like Darts, it is heavily underrated. Recognize that? Because it is.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 01:12 PM »
Kradie, why is being punished such a good thing?

ZaR Roper is tons of fun, I see some flaws with it though when played as a League scheme:

People not sticking to simple maps, making crate rape even worse than normal Roper.

On very easy maps, 1 fail basically loses you the game, if you play for fun, cool, if you play to win, what's the point continuing?

Every other Rope scheme has parachute, I understand the novelty but for noobs it's extremely painful to constantly fall/lose turn.

Granted these problems depend on your perspective, and skill, but for a noob Classic Roper usually is the most fun/rewarding.

Offline Tomi

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 01:29 PM »
I would like a roper without cba rule.. and maybe with 5 second retreat time. So something like w2 roper but with 15 sec. What i don't like in zar are the mines, because they can be really savages.. maybe with 3sec fuse time they would be better.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 02:05 PM »
Kradie, why is being punished such a good thing?

ZaR Roper is tons of fun, I see some flaws with it though when played as a League scheme:

People not sticking to simple maps, making crate rape even worse than normal Roper.

On very easy maps, 1 fail basically loses you the game, if you play for fun, cool, if you play to win, what's the point continuing?

Every other Rope scheme has parachute, I understand the novelty but for noobs it's extremely painful to constantly fall/lose turn.

Granted these problems depend on your perspective, and skill, but for a noob Classic Roper usually is the most fun/rewarding.

It's the player's responsibility to choose an adequate map based on skill of both players.

Crate rapes can be less common because of shortcuts and having 2 worms. So if you are on the right side of the map, and the crates spawn on the other side of the right map bottom left, a shortcut would be more beneficial to make or have depending on health. Sometime both island's ''stands/roots'' are blown through, making it easier to come around. Of course this would be advantage for leading team and the player's consistency keeping the lead. It's all about keeping the lead.

ZaR is not meant to be played on easy maps. It purely depends on skill. Same goes for roper.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 03:44 PM »
Well in theory you are correct and I feel the same way but you know what people are like.

A person is smart, people are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Agent K

Also people can be selfish and play for win and pick maps they are better at.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 04:10 PM »
Well in theory you are correct and I feel the same way but you know what people are like.

A person is smart, people are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Agent K

Also people can be selfish and play for win and pick maps they are better at.

It is unbalanced to play ZaR against someone who is not good at rope.
And again, it is host and guest's responsibility to choose right map.

At least we have a common understanding.

Don't get me wrong, Roper is great fun, I love it too. But I like the extra rush in -ZaR.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 04:53 PM »
I would like a Roper without CBA rule.. and maybe with 5 second retreat time. So something like w2 Roper but with 15 sec. What i don't like in ZaR are the mines, because they can be really savages.. maybe with 3sec fuse time, they would be better.

You mean CBA replaces w2w all the time? Interesting idea.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 05:08 PM »
I would like a Roper without CBA rule.. and maybe with 5 second retreat time. So something like w2 Roper but with 15 sec. What i don't like in ZaR are the mines, because they can be really savages.. maybe with 3sec fuse time, they would be better.

We have discussed this long time ago. W2W is a necessity in roper. It works as a second stage during SD. Otherwise the game can drag on forever. SD just helps end the game.

Offline Peja

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 05:48 PM »

no, you just dont need to collect the crate before attack, you can ignore it or collect it after you damaged the worm.

Offline Senator

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 02:39 PM »
I would like a roper without cba rule.. and maybe with 5 second retreat time. So something like w2 roper but with 15 sec. What i don't like in zar are the mines, because they can be really savages.. maybe with 3sec fuse time they would be better.

Yeah I wonder how WA Roper would work without CBA (still W2W in SD), 5 sec retreat and 25 HP crates. If you ignore your crate, your opponent may get +50 HP the next turn (or later) while you made just ~47 damage. "Bazooka first" wouldn't be that unfair either cos the second player could ignore the unreachable crate and attack.

Offline avirex

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 05:18 AM »
I made that exact scheme... I called it "w2roper" for lack of a better name.

It was more of a blend of w2 scheme and WA scheme TBH.

It's actually a really good scheme for WA but some people, were against it, one person in general was against it as if it was his job. Despite never even trying the scheme. I'm sure it's not hard to figure out who I'm talking about :)

Give the scheme a try senator. WA roper really should be changed.. the scheme was made when WA was new, and people were learning to rope.

25 second total turn time is a bit much imo .

And crate rules are just bizarre, I don't understand why there are rules forcing your opponent to collect a crate.. I would prefer they leave the crate for me 8]

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 06:00 AM »
Lies avirex, I did try it and I did like it, just never thought it should be a replacement :(

You're just as bad(but it's actually good) as me  :D ;D

Offline Senator

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 10:20 AM »
Ye I know your scheme avi. You made it closer to the W2 scheme than Tomi and I suggested above. 13 sec turn time, 4 star zooka, 255 initial HP, higher fall damage, 30 min round time, no weapon delays, 1 instant mine (optional). Apart from weapon delays, these changes are unnecessary IMO.

If the retreat time was just changed to 5 and HP crates to 25, the WA scheme would play like currently but it would work better with today's crate rape maps. When you get an unreachable crate, you could opt for attack+hide instead of crate+hide. And when there's more than 1 unreachable crate, you could opt for crates + hide. I don't think there's a need to increase the number of unreachable crates by decreasing the turn time.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:08 AM by Senator »