Forums
March 28, 2024, 07:58 PM

Author Topic: Ideas for TUS schemes  (Read 1817 times)

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
Ideas for TUS schemes
« on: April 13, 2021, 06:12 AM »
May I suggest something for TUS website (not necessarily the app)? I think the scheme upload/editor could receive some new fields. There are many schemes which have completely blank description. This is not the ideal. I think some Scheme Setup fields would be good, because they would encourage players to put more information about the schemes. For example, a field with the number of worms, a field with the map requirements, a description and maybe a slot for map examples (download links). A section just for the rules of the scheme... Even sections for the history of the development of the scheme or the scheme tactics/tips would be good. Of course these fields don't need to be mandatory, but I believe at least people would think more about describing the scheme they made. Scheme making beginners don't know very well that many people will have no idea about the scheme if they don't write about it. Another thing I would like to know is the scheme image/icon ideal dimensions (this could be informed too). Maybe the text box could have a pre-written suggestion text to encourage people to write, but if they don't write anything, it would still be in blank.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 06:34 AM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Online MonkeyIsland

Re: Ideas for TUS schemes
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 01:06 PM »
OK I'll include those new fields for schemes.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 03:12 PM »
OK I'll include those new fields for schemes.

Awww

That would be amazing!

Other possible fields: scheme gif, scheme trailer/teaser video, inspirational schemes (influences), etc.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 03:14 PM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Online MonkeyIsland

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 04:49 PM »
What is scheme gif? Same scheme image we already have? It doesn't support GIF images?
What are inspirational schemes? List of schemes that the new scheme was inspired by?
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline FoxHound

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 04:10 AM »
By the scheme gif I thought about like a banner image (animated or not) in addition to the scheme icon. The icon represents the scheme as a symbol, the banner would be like a concept image to people understand about the scheme with a blink of an eye. Afterall human beings are a species that is oriented mainly by the vision, like all species of our order: Primates. This banner image could also be simply a gif of an outstanding play of the scheme.

Examples:

In my scheme Flat Earth Apocalypse I used the scheme icon and the "banner", the conceptual image.
https://www.tus-wa.com/schemes/scheme-3375/

In Driver scheme article, there is a gif of a play by Korydex and a conceptual image (but there is not a scheme icon)
https://worms2d.info/Driver

In Space Cows TUS scheme page, TBikelis used the scheme icon and a banner image to display the ideal map of the scheme.
https://www.tus-wa.com/schemes/scheme-3459/

In SiD's Hoops, this gif shows exactly what the scheme is about (like a banner too)
https://www.tus-wa.com/schemes/scheme-2459/

The scheme sbs and I worked together and it is semi-released (the full release will arrive soon, with a better graphics map) called Drive for Weapons has a provisory scheme icon and two "banner" gifs
https://worms2d.info/Drive_for_Weapons

About the scheme teaser/trailer video, this one available in Rope Knocking TUS scheme page is a good example, but DumbBongChow was very good doing that too.
https://www.tus-wa.com/schemes/scheme-3748/

About the inspirational schemes, the idea is more for a good practice, since everybody inspires in already existing things to create a new one. Being clear which are your influences on creating schemes, avoid making people think you copied the idea of a scheme and tried to promote your scheme instead of giving credits to the previous similar idea. It is also good to understand how the schemes evolve around WormNET. For example, people keep accusing Kradie that he just copy ideas and change the name saying is something new, what I think it is not true. He does create a lot of variations, but they are not equal to the previous schemes. Here Kradie says he created Total Time Trial Rope Race based on Kaleu's Freemediate. That is a good practice. This may avoid people speculating and questioning the similarities between Drill Fly, Drill Flier and Darts scheme (https://worms2d.info/Darts#History). I created Jet Pack War based on Hysteria and Jet Pack War is not a variation of Hysteria in my opinion. I created Boom for Weapons based on Boom Race and Walk for Weapons.

Another thing I think it would be good is something BlameThePixel used to have: A field for the scheme authorship, this way we can know that the uploader of the scheme is not the scheme author. In this BTP page FoxyLady uploads GhostKnocking saying Garg0yle is the author (it seems Deadcode is a co-author as it is written on the wiki aricle). In TUS, people may think that Warg is the Author of Ghost Knocking: https://www.tus-wa.com/schemes/scheme-169/. The same way I already thought that TOMT was the author of Goku Battle Arena, until I play with pavlepavle and discover that pavlepavle is the author (even though TOMT helped on the scheme and made a map), not only me thought TOMT was the author. I don't doubt that people may think that GreeN might be the author Hysteria due to this page, when the truth is that Run created it. The authorship is important to show people that schemes do not appear from nowhere, they exist because one or more people created them. Even Shopper has an author: Dogma. The other old schemes we just don't know who created them, but they were developed due to players effort. So schemes are always being created and are always evolving in worms. I don't understand why people only play the same schemes, when this game has so many possibilities... And TUS is a platform that provides a lot of these possibilities.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 04:24 AM by FoxHound »
'

Offline FoxHound

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 04:30 AM »
Another example of gifs of plays of a scheme I remembered now: Neocombat wiki article (which was transfered from Scheme ideas to Schemes page now, and is supported by HostingBuddy)

And I said about the ideal dimensions of the scheme icon, because I often upload an image that doesn't appear the way I wanted, being hard to distinguish when you are seeing the schemes list in TUS. I completely forget sometimes that I can upload scheme icons that are gifs and not simple images... I may do a gif icon one day... I just hope I use the right dimensions.
'

Online MonkeyIsland

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 06:32 AM »
I'll consider those into account. The map section of TUS already has "uploader" and "author" fields separately.
The best dimension is having square ratio.

Offline FoxHound

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 06:03 PM »
Thanks, I will try to create square images for the icons for now on, however I have the impression that if you upload a large square image, it still will appear a bit strange in the schemes list, maybe small images appear better there, that's why I said about the ideal dimensions.

Another thing I thought is that, at least for me, I'm using the scheme acronym field to put the real name of my scheme, because it appears bigger, and I think the name usually is more important than the acronym, even though many schemes we prefer to use the acronym, like BnG, WxW, etc. The field for the scheme name I use as a slogan, because it supports a lot of characters, so I can describe the main idea of the scheme there, explain briefly what the scheme is about.

So I think TUS could separate these 2 fields (scheme acronym and scheme name) into 3:

1. Scheme name (Bigger than the acronym or same size of the acronym)
2. Scheme acronym (Smaller than the name or same size of the name, appearing at the side of the name or maybe below)
3. Scheme slogan (Smaller text comparing to the name or the acronym, allowing many characters to describe the scheme briefly)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 07:30 PM by FoxHound »
'

Offline FoxHound

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 03:39 AM »
 I thought about another idea. A player uploading a scheme in TUS should be able to assign that scheme as a scheme variation of another one, choosing the scheme available in TUS schemes list or if the scheme is not there yet, the player could write the name of the original scheme the variation being uploaded is about. Doing this that scheme variation should stay attached to the original scheme page, so that people who click in Hysteria would be able to find all its variations very easily and they wouldn't be in the meadle of a sea of 4000 schemes that sometimes people made in 1 second without thinking so much about it. Admins of the website could also attach scheme variations to their original schemes.
'

Offline Mustachio

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 03:53 AM »
I thought about another idea. A player uploading a scheme in TUS should be able to assign that scheme as a scheme variation of another one, choosing the scheme available in TUS schemes list or if the scheme is not there yet, the player could write the name of the original scheme the variation being uploaded is about. Doing this that scheme variation should stay attached to the original scheme page, so that people who click in Hysteria would be able to find all its variations very easily and they wouldn't be in the meadle of a sea of 4000 schemes that sometimes people made in 1 second without thinking so much about it. Admins of the website could also attach scheme variations to their original schemes.

This is a great idea.

Offline FoxHound

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 06:40 AM »
This is a great idea.

Thanks.

Another thing I was thinking about is when a scheme (meaning major game mode) is actually a series of schemes (meaning small variation concepts towards the same central idea), like Knock Race (series) and Mutants Mission (series) or when a scheme (meaning major game mode) has one specific scheme file for each map of it, like in the case of Board Game, Walk for Weapons (although this one I believe has a main scheme file), Boom for Weapons and Drive for Weapons. I don't like to see each "subscheme" of these schemes among the other 4000 schemes. Maybe TUS should create the concept of "subschemes" or whatever it can be called, the website should understand that if someone organize a Tournament or Cup of Board Game (if this ever happen) it doesn't consist of a single scheme file. The Cup or the Tournament must link to a scheme and allow all their subschemes to be played. The same way that a scheme attached on a map must be clear that it is just a small variation specific to the map of a major scheme concept. Right now TUS and all other WA websites I believe ignore these types of schemes.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 06:46 AM by FoxHound »
'

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 01:17 PM »
Yeah that's a good idea!

I guess it would work similar to how if you do a remix of a map which already exists? Where you can select the original author.

Since an alternate scheme is literally a remix, that would work out great!

Online MonkeyIsland

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 04:01 AM »
Sure why not.

Offline FoxHound

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 10:08 PM »
Yeah that's a good idea!

I guess it would work similar to how if you do a remix of a map which already exists? Where you can select the original author.

Since an alternate scheme is literally a remix, that would work out great!

Yeah, definitely it would be nice to see the map remixes attached to the original one.
'

Offline FoxHound

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 10:25 PM »
Another thing I tought now: It would be interesting if we could select more than one scheme that can be played for the map being uploaded. For example, you select the main scheme that the map is designed for and also other schemes that the map can be played. This way the map would appear when searching for a scheme that it can be played. The only problem of this idea is that many people could abuse and select lots of schemes just to promote their map. This idea is not very important, though (it doesn't need to be implemented). Maybe with admins organizing the maps, removing the abuses or trolls, this could be an interesting possibility, because many maps can be played using other schemes (for example Teleporting maps could be used to play Kaos).
'