Forums
April 18, 2024, 10:24 PM

Author Topic: Rubberworm crate rate setting  (Read 618 times)

Offline jattaman

Rubberworm crate rate setting
« on: February 28, 2023, 08:30 AM »
I'm sorry if this was explained somewhere already.

How does the extended scheme setting for crate rate in Rubberworm section works exactly?

Let's say I have 30% for a weapon crate, 0% utility, 20% health crate, 50% no crate. What will happen if I activate this option with value 2?

Offline Deadcode

Re: Rubberworm crate rate setting
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 07:28 PM »
Sorry for the late reply.

If you set "RubberWorm crate rate" to 1, the only conspicuous change will be that the crate collection counter is enabled (shown at the lower left of the screen).

In your example, with 30% weapon, 0% utility, 20% health, 50% no crate, and "RubberWorm crate rate" set to 2, that means that at beginning of every turn, the crate drop logic is applied 2 times.

That logic is: First add up those percentages. 30+0+20+50 = 100. With a sum of exactly 100, that means they are actual percentages. So for example:
  • there's a 50%*50% = 25% chance that no crate falls at all
  • there's a 30%*30% = 9% chance that 2 weapon crates fall
  • there's a 30%*50% + 50%*30% = 30% chance that 1 weapon crate falls
  • there's a 30%*20% + 20%*30% = 12% chance that 1 weapon crate and 1 health crate fall

But when using the "no crate" setting, the percentages don't have to add up to 100. Whatever they do add up to, is treated as meaning 100%.

So for example, 60% weapon, 0% utility, 40% health, 100% no crate would behave identically to 30% weapon, 0% utility, 20% health, 50% no crate.

Online FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 11:38 PM »
I remember that when I read Jattaman's question I wanted to reply to help him, but I realized that I didn't know how "no crate" setting works. This setting is very confusing to me. I read the 3.8 update readme and this comment now many times and I know I'm still confuse, because if I try to create a scheme with this setting I would probably have no idea what I would be changing to my scheme and I would have to test it a lot to understand its effects.

There are other settings that were confusing to me that I only understood asking to Deadcode and other people. Some I still don't understand so well. And I understand a lot about scheme settings and RubberWorm features, I imagine the other people that are beginning to create schemes.

I don't know a good suggestion to make the features more clear to people, maybe adding a "details" button on some features, but I don't want to criticize the way they are in the game. I love all the features, even the "Pneumatic Drill imparts velocity" one that I still didn't use it well, but I might try to create a scheme that explores it well as it is hard to make it impactful on a scheme.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 11:41 PM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Deadcode

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 01:05 AM »
The concept behind the "No Crate" setting is really quite simple...

If "No Crate" is enabled, meaning you can see 10 empty-or-filled boxes to the right of the "No Crate" icon, then this is how it works:

Every time WA computes a random crate drop, imagine that it takes all of the "filled crate, S-looking squiggle" boxes from all four crate options (weapon, utility, health, and no-crate) and drops them into a jar, remembering where each one came from. Then it reaches into the jar and picks a random one. This is what the crate will be. If it came from the "No Crate" list, then no crate will spawn.

It's when the "No Crate" option is disabled (the way it always used to be before the option was added in v3.8) that the behavior is rather non-intuitive.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 03:24 PM by Deadcode »