Forums
April 20, 2024, 12:03 PM

Author Topic: Shopper rules clarification  (Read 1171 times)

Offline skunk3

Shopper rules clarification
« on: April 17, 2020, 08:37 AM »
I guess this applies to just about any scheme, really.

Is it 'legal' per se to use that glitch where you can basically drop a zook right on someone's head and it won't go off for a few seconds? My ruling is no, and I don't see why anyone WOULD allow it. It's clearly a glitch and not intended behavior, so why would it be okay to do? I got into an argument with some noob earlier about this and he insisted that it wasn't against the rules. Well, as we all know, the rules are arbitrary inventions made by us and aside from one girder-based scheme from long ago, I can't remember exploiting glitches as being NOT against the rules.

What say you?

Offline Korydex

Re: Shopper rules clarification
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 08:57 AM »
Glitches are forbidden in league games. But in funners arguments about rules won't end until it will be implemented as game mechanics I think.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 08:58 AM by Korydex »

Offline skunk3

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 10:35 AM »
Glitches are forbidden in league games. But in funners arguments about rules won't end until it will be implemented as game mechanics I think.

I've argued with several people about that zook glitch and they just don't listen. I don't understand why anyone would think that using something that is OBVIOUSLY a glitch is perfectly fine. Oh well.

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 12:21 PM »
I don't understand why anyone would think that using something that is OBVIOUSLY a glitch is perfectly fine.
My reasoning would be that it's a simple yet effective method at sending worms fly (possibly plop) with a weapon that is always available. I (someone who didn't dig much into Shopper, IDK how much my opinion counts) think the balance of the scheme would change significantly without it, at least on maps with fitting plop holes. We're talking of a community generally very reluctant to any changes at all.
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline Kradie

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 05:37 PM »
It's a none issue in ZaR Roper. Here is why: It can be time consuming just to do it, so atm ZaR allows it.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline skunk3

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 09:26 PM »
It's a simple matter for me - it's a glitch. An exploit. It shouldn't be allowed in ANY scheme, period.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 02:50 AM »
The best are the shopper "pros" that play on the same 1 or 2 maps, refusing to play other maps, and know exactly where to plop worms with their zook on head exploit. 

They smash noobs over and over with their repetitive strategy and claim greatness

Hilarious

Offline Jengu

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 07:44 AM »
It is allowed in all the shopper games you see hosted online every day and it adds a small amount of depth to the gameplay.

Also the reason why you see the same maps so often is because there are very few good ones. Most are essentially empty boxes which make the scheme even more boring than it already is. Play any map more than once and you will quickly discover the most dangerous positions.

Offline Korydex

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 10:06 AM »
It's been mostly http://www.wmdb.org/29299 lately and there are actually so many good maps...

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 06:25 PM »
Hmmm, I don't think I necessarily agree that bazookas and petrol bombs not exploding when placed gently on terrain or on worms is "clearly a glitch and not intended behaviour."

For one, it makes logical, physical real world sense that a glass bottle (even one filled with petrol, with its fuse lit on fire) wouldn't break in that scenario, and explosive projectiles wouldn't go off. In terms of game logic, we know that the situation is accounted for by the existence of a hidden fuse present on every projectile in the game that makes them explode after a while anyway, so calling it obviously unaccounted for by the original developers is probably not entirely honest either. And further, if we were to go looking for every single event and scenario in the game that clearly couldn't have been anticipated by Team17 back in 1998, I imagine the list of what should be considered a glitch would grow alarmingly, and in some cases uproot literally two decades of tradition; purism might not be the way to go with these things.

Not to say that any of the above is alone a reason to allow this "glitch" to be used in Shopper in particular, but neither I think is the opposite the case. Even if this is ultimately considered a real glitch, it's the sort of glitch that can theoretically bring value to at least some schemes, so if Deadcode at some point were to "fix" it, it would be done as a scheme setting and likely by default, it would be set to the way things currently work. Rather, in the case of Shopper, it might be more sensible to be having the discussion of whether or not starting with infinite bazookas shifts the focus of the scheme too far away from, you know, shopping for weapons and making do with what you get from them. But that really is, and should be, a separate discussion... because it's extremely, extremely unlikely that the one thing keeping the scheme from being competitively fair and balanced even when played in a casual setting is this exact singular property of the humble bazooka weapon.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 01:54 AM »
Arguments can be made both ways but to me it is blatantly obvious that zooks were never intended to be used in that way and that its a glitch that can only be employed with very specific circumstances. All in all I don't really care since I don't play shopper aside from once in a great while, and only if nothing else is hosted and if nobody joins my hosted games. It barely qualifies for AFR.

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 04:10 PM »
zooks were never intended to be used in that way
Which isn't necessarily bad. I don't think roping was intended to go this far either.

It barely qualifies for AFR.
Gotta mention TUS Shopper is played without AFR.
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline Sensei

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 05:55 PM »
Gotta mention TUS Shopper is played without AFR.

None of the players that hold on their reputation would play shopper without AFR.
Then again, none of the players that hold on their reputation would play shopper at all. :D