Forums
April 20, 2024, 03:00 AM

Author Topic: CD Player questions in 2019...  (Read 639 times)

Offline korpse

CD Player questions in 2019...
« on: September 16, 2019, 02:18 AM »
Hello!  I am eager to play W:A again and it seems we live in a brave new world...  I have several questions -

I own the original CD - can I play with people from Steam?  If yes, longshot, but can I trick Steam into showing me as in game for my Steam friends to see?

I just installed the game from CD and back in the day would apply different patches such as not needing the disc in, etc.  I researched some and it sounds like 3.7.2.2. is latest version albeit controversial?  Do you guys actually use 3.7.2.1 still because of this?

Right now I am digging through old HDDs to try and unearth my account stats, teamnames, replays, etc...  :(   I feel so naked starting from scratch!  ;(

Thank you for any help everyone, can't wait to play the best game in the world!  I will host some Walk for weapons / chuteraces / mole shoppers / t17 soon I hope!  :D

Cheers -

Offline WTF-8

Re: CD Player questions in 2019...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 05:44 AM »
Update installers: https://worms2d.info/Updates_(Worms_Armageddon)#Archive
In game's root directory should be update documentation, see the "Supplementary Documentation" section for a summary of features added in updates.

I own the original CD - can I play with people from Steam?
And GOG and everything. Except those who decide to lock themselves into LAN emulators like GameRanger.

can I trick Steam into showing me as in game for my Steam friends to see?
Library -> Add a game -> Add a non-Steam game, needs a Direct 3D renderer chosen in W:A's options to display Steam overlay (Main Menu -> the button with questions bottom-right -> the "Advanced" button bottom-right), the lastest is the bestest.

it sounds like 3.7.2.2. is latest version albeit controversial?  Do you guys actually use 3.7.2.1 still because of this?
Mods that depend on game logic (such as RubberWorm) break every update, and nobody could be bothered updating them for 3.7.2.2, probably because it's got no visible changes and is easy to downgrade back to 3.7.2.1 (just launch the 3.7.2.1 installer).

I am digging through old HDDs to try and unearth my account stats, teamnames, replays, etc...
Just in case, stats and teams are in the \User\Teams\WG.WGT file.

I will host some Walk for weapons / chuteraces / mole shoppers / t17
Moles and Team17 should go fine, but don't expect random people on the server to know WfW or chute races, nowadays you'll need to call your friends to play other schemes than few mainstream ones. Maybe somebody more active&caring can list them, I only can name Intermediate and its countless variations, often in style of "let's add 10 bananas because explosions", and Shopper.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:45 AM by WTF-8 »
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural