Forums
March 28, 2024, 06:45 PM

Author Topic: major screen tearing and micro-lags  (Read 1602 times)

Offline skunk3

major screen tearing and micro-lags
« on: July 24, 2020, 05:30 AM »
Up until yesterday my game was working fine.

Last night I had a SSD die on me. I had 3 of them in a RAID 0 array so I basically lost all of my data that wasn't on a mechanical drive. :(

I pinpointed which SSD was dead and reformatted with a fresh install of Win10. I got my system fully updated and reinstalled Steam. Now when I try to run W:A I get major screen tearing and some micro-lags no matter what graphics settings I use. V-sync on, v-sync off... assisted v-sync, Direct 7, 8, 9, GL, etc etc. I have the same issue no matter what.

Any ideas?

Offline h3oCharles

Re: major screen tearing and micro-lags
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 07:21 AM »
raid 0 oof

im on d3d9 shader with both vsyncs disabled and i can confirm that i sometimes have major framerate drops here and there

Offline skunk3

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 04:01 PM »
Prior to my hard drive crash I was using d3d9 with both vsyncs enabled and I had zero issues. No latency that I was aware of, and perfect smoothness. Now the screen tearing is so so bad that it looks like a stripe of water moving up and down my screen, distorting stuff it touches. It kinda makes the terrain look like PS1 jumping/flickering textures.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 11:05 PM »
If you just updated your graphics card drivers, make sure there's no Vsync options enabled in the graphics software (AMD Catalyst Centre / Nvidia Control Centre or whatever they're called). 

Offline skunk3

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 10:05 PM »
I have done everything that I can think of to get this to work.

-I've checked everything in the NVIDIA control panel.
-I've tried running the game with onboard graphics as well as my dedicated video card.
-I've checked that Windows10 is up to date.
-I've checked that all of my drivers are up to date.
-I've experimented with every possible combination of settings in WA, as well as various resolutions.

No matter what, I have visual issues. At best it looks like a watery, translucent horizontal bar that goes all the way across my screen and kinda travels up and down, making terrain kinda wiggly. At worst I get constant micro-lags and the terrain is tearing so bad that it looks like it's glitching out.

Prior to re-installing Windows10, WA was working just fine for me. 1080p, version 3.8. I haven't changed anything in my setup at all. This is extremely confusing. I am not having issues with any other applications... just WA. In the past all I had to do was turn on vsync and everything was cool. Now it's like vsync does nothing at all.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 11:15 PM »
Maybe your TV was plugged via hdmi into your graphics card before, but now it's plugged into your motherboard (onboard video) or vice-versa?

Might be good to try with a different display just so you can rule out the TV causing the issue. Did you try disabling motion smoothing on your TV? On my LG it's called TruMotion.

Offline Senator

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 09:35 AM »
Have you checked Win10's gaming settings? Or tried running WA on a different drive?

Offline Anubis

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 11:53 AM »
First you have to rule out it's a hardware issue, that means you need to run other games that use d3d9 so you can say for certain it's a software issue and not your graphic card dying. If the answer is yes then you can still hope for driver issue and update/downgrade your driver and see if that fixes it. Report back if you tried that.

Offline nino

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 05:43 PM »
RAID 0 with these 3 disks was a  :-X move m8.

GL ae tho.
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline BaZa

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 09:48 PM »
Yea. gl
-baza-

Offline skunk3

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 04:15 AM »
update:

I've done a lot more testing and I've all but confirmed that my video card is failing. It's showing issues in other games now and I'm getting all around crap performance when it comes to anything that uses it, as well as various glitches and graphical artifacts. I could buy another video card for my laptop but I think I'll just hold off and save up cash for a new desktop build.