Forums
March 28, 2024, 05:56 PM

Author Topic: Privacy Question  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Kradie

Privacy Question
« on: February 13, 2021, 11:43 PM »
Are the in-game chat and games on WormNet monitored & recorded by anyone except by the player?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 12:12 AM by Kradie »
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline h3oCharles

Re: Privacy Question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 01:47 PM »
in-game chat is saved to the replay, and considering that game hosting is happening outside of irc servers, i doubt that it is monitored by anyone from outside

according to WormNET's motd, chats in all channels are monitored, tho idk if anyone is regularly enforcing that

Offline Kradie

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 08:45 PM »
in-game chat is saved to the replay, and considering that game hosting is happening outside of irc servers, i doubt that it is monitored by anyone from outside

according to WormNET's motd, chats in all channels are monitored, tho idk if anyone is regularly enforcing that
Still, it would be more comforting to hear a reply from the developers or Team17 themselves. It would be unsettling e.g if people on HB & WormNAT2 would have their replays saved on additional hard drives.

Personally, I would prefer an option to opt out saved replays in the game.

Offline Memox

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 07:48 PM »
Speaking of which; I didn't want to open another thread for a question that was probably asked time and time again. Is the IP showing issue been resolved? I mean when you play without a proxy and pretty much everyone in WormNET can see your IP if you're hosting... That's been bugging me since I started playing.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 08:11 PM by Memox »
\\\ My websites ///

My Worms Armageddon Review (and other blog posts about gaming)
The Autism-O-Meter

My Worms Videos
YouTube playlist

My (other) Reviews Hub
Steam Curator page

Offline FireRat2

• Chile Chile
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 09:24 PM »
WormNAT2's HostingProxy is best Proxy, which works like a Proxy, and thus it hides your IP. Only the server (and the guy behind it) knows who you are.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 11:02 AM »
there's also streamer mode as a registry file in tweaks folder, which should hide IPs when attempting to join

Offline zuck

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 05:03 AM »
If server-side software is closed source you will never know what it's doing exactly. It may or may not keep chat logs. There's no way of knowing. Always be careful of what you're saying!

Offline Kradie

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 01:24 PM »
If server-side software is closed source you will never know what it's doing exactly. It may or may not keep chat logs. There's no way of knowing. Always be careful of what you're saying!
Or else you will get cancelled.

Offline N7Kopper

• United Kingdom United Kingdom
  • Find me on Xbox Live and Steam too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2022, 12:46 PM »
Or else you will get cancelled.
Don't fear cancellation, stand up to it. There's a Gulag Archipelago page dedicated to that, but it's a bit long. Also, don't send personal information over unencrypted channels like a game from 1998 for Christ's holy sake. Don't say anything you wouldn't want put in a replay for all time. I love hoarding replays like a collection of memories from all games where they exist - and I'm still a bit sad about that one computer where I didn't back them up. Nothing quite like booting up a decade old match of Halo Reach to reminisce.
Political statements written like/this deserve respect only when they are written as parody.