Forums
March 28, 2024, 09:53 PM

Author Topic: Trouble with resolution...  (Read 2128 times)

Offline TheKaren

Trouble with resolution...
« on: April 15, 2017, 10:59 PM »
The native resolution for my laptop is 1920x1080.

I've always used this resolution for Rope schemes, on this laptop anyway, on my pc it was 1920x1200.

It was working fine up until I tried playing about a month ago, this happened a few times and it put me off I thought i'll wait for my new house to setup my PC.

The other resolutions work fine, but this resolution for some reason does this when starting a game:

For some reason shows only top left corner, the rest of the screen is missing, like wtf??

I can't use another resolution for roping, I've spent the last 10 years or something like that on this resolution, it's just what I am used to...

Offline CyberShadow

• W:A maintainer

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Re: Trouble with resolution...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 12:01 AM »
What graphics renderer is configured in advanced options?

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 12:43 AM »
Direct3D 7.

Offline Booker

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 06:21 AM »
http://worms2d.info/SuperFrontendHD

Use this wormkit module.
I had the same problem and this file worked for me.
W:Addicted

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 09:24 AM »
Thanks Solid, but I want to try and fix it without extra modules 1st.

Offline Triad

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 12:33 PM »
Did you try with DirectX 9?

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 12:50 PM »
Did you try with DirectX 9?

Lag.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 02:16 PM »
I'd guess it's some kind of program or service with an overlay competing for focus with WA.  I'd go into Task Manager and close everything not essential. Then go to start -> run -> msconfig. Close all services that are not essential and remove all unessential things from startup. If nothing else it should speed up your computer a bit. If that fails you could have a virus/adware that doesn't let itself be removed with those methods, so I'd run a scan with Malwarebytes Free. The free version is good because it only runs/scans when you run it, otherwise it's not even running at all, and there are no popups or annoyances.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 02:19 PM by j0e »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 04:24 PM »
Will try those things now, thanks joe.

Edit - Nope, laptop is clean, no virus/malware.

Not really sure what is essential and what isn't by the way, so haven't been able to try those ideas, any guidelines?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:31 PM by TheKomodo »

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 08:43 PM »
Will try those things now, thanks joe.

Edit - Nope, laptop is clean, no virus/malware.

Not really sure what is essential and what isn't by the way, so haven't been able to try those ideas, any guidelines?
Personally I'd disable first and ask questions later. Anything that doesn't say Microsoft that you don't specifically want basically. If things start not working right you can enable them again - it's just checkboxes. When you make any changes inside msconfig Windows uses "selective startup" .. at any time you can revert all those changes by using "normal startup" if you forget what you changed.

Offline CyberShadow

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 10:52 PM »
Direct3D 7.

Use Direct 3D 9 (shader). Try changing the Vsync options until you're no longer seeing any lag.

Having both off will uncap the frame rate and should have no lag, though you'll get screen tearing.

Offline CyberShadow

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 11:02 PM »
If it's not made/signed by Microsoft, it's almost surely not essential. Rarely some hardware devices/components won't fully work without some program running, but most of the time the drivers are enough by themselves.

Good tools to find/disable unwanted programs are Process Hacker and Autoruns.

Make sure to have a backup / repair CD and create a system restore point in case something goes wrong.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:44 AM by CyberShadow »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 05:47 AM »
Direct3D 7.

Use Direct 3D 9 (shader). Try changing the Vsync options until you're no longer seeing any lag.

Having both off will uncap the frame rate and should have no lag, though you'll get screen tearing.

Is there no other option that doesn't cause screen tearing? I cannot rope with screen tearing :/

As for disabling all this stuff, i'd rather just leave it alone, this is the laptop I use for music and don't want to screw anything up, if worst comes to worst i'm moving house in June and will get my PC back anyway, I can live with playing Default only schemes until then.

Offline CyberShadow

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 06:33 AM »
Is there no other option that doesn't cause screen tearing? I cannot rope with screen tearing :/
Yes, try all combinations of vsync options. Particularly assisted vsync on, with regular vsync on or off.

Offline Masta

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 01:35 PM »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:38 PM by Masta »