Forums
April 25, 2024, 11:03 AM

Author Topic: Worms Armageddon music won't play [FIXED IT MYSELF]  (Read 983 times)

Offline N7Kopper

• United Kingdom United Kingdom
  • Find me on Xbox Live and Steam too!
    • View Profile
Worms Armageddon music won't play [FIXED IT MYSELF]
« on: April 23, 2022, 12:32 PM »
This one is honestly a bit weird. I have W:A installed on two laptops. One on its last legs (the integrated hard drive fails SMART tests) and another fresher (but still budget) one. The kind with 2 GB of RAM and an integrated eMMC NAND chip with only 32 GB of space. Both of them run W:A well, because it's not at all hard to run; naturally, the former one takes a lot longer to load stuff. Here's the kicker, though. It's the good laptop that can't seem to stream the music.

For reference, I tried turning off WormKit modules, and it still doesn't play the music. No errors or anything, just no music. I verified that the files are all installed on both systems (I even did a LAN game to compare, and the junker ran the music fine!) and even updated to the high quality versions and tested them again. The same thing happened.

The only difference between the two installations is that the working one is on the C: drive on Windows 7, and the not working one is on the D: drive on Windows 10. (I did move it there manually for reasons of storage limitations, but I don't think W:A cares much about that - it even fixes its own registry associations: maybe music is a strange exception?) Applying Windows 7 compatibility mode doesn't work either. The next thing I'll try once chkdsk does its work is probably to run the good laptop's installation on the crap one by network share. If that works... :D

EDIT: I did a little experiment, and symlinked W:A to my C: drive, and the music suddenly started working. Either it WAS because I manually moved the game, or the game itself doesn't like not being on the C drive. Only one way to find out. Well, two. I'll try RegEdit first.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 01:11 PM by N7Kopper »
Political statements written like/this deserve respect only when they are written as parody.

Offline N7Kopper

• United Kingdom United Kingdom
  • Find me on Xbox Live and Steam too!
    • View Profile
Re: Worms Armageddon music won't play
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 12:56 PM »
Okay, bumping my own post here, because I found out that (at least for Steam and GOG versions) there is indeed a "CD Tracks" DWORD in the registry. My manual moving of the game is what caused the issue, and W:A itself can't fix it by reassociating its pathnames. Unfortunately, it's a hexadecimal 8-bit value, so reinstalling symlinking the game seems to be the most convenient fix.

Just have to update the shortcuts. Hopefully anyone with the same issue will read this!

Have just confirmed that this solution works. (I'm used to symlinking, I already did it so that I can use my W:A soundbanks in Worms 2 without making copies)

If for whatever reason you need to manually move your Worms Armageddon installation to another drive, leave a symbolic link in the original location to where your W:A installation now resides.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 01:11 PM by N7Kopper »
Political statements written like/this deserve respect only when they are written as parody.