Forums
April 19, 2024, 09:42 PM

Author Topic: Communities limit and dead groups  (Read 4937 times)

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
Communities limit and dead groups
« on: September 22, 2021, 03:55 AM »
Hi, maybe the idea of having more communities than only 2 is not new and it seems some people are already in more than 2 communities (I don't know why). But, I was thinking that it would be nice to be in more than 2 communities, some communities are very nice and I would like to participate them without leaving others I like. Communities are different than clans, so I don't think they should be so restricted as clans are (and must be).

I was thinking that many years have passed and many TUS groups are dead. Players don't join new communities or new clans because they still love their past clans/communities. For example, I would like to join Albus' new community for Intermediate fans (tips, guides and stuff) without needing to leave my own historical community called WoSC which is dead nowadays. I also don't want to leave Proof of Concept because it is a very nice community which is still alive, although less active than years ago.

So, what about this idea: TUS accounts should allow players to stay in as many dead clans or communities they want, but they have limits for active clans or active communities. This would allow people to join new groups while still keeping their accounts on their old favourite clans or communities that are dead. This would also give a good reason for people to mark a community or a clan as inactive.

About communities limit, I think 4 or 5 communities as limit would be great. If too many communities would pollute the players' profiles/avatars, maybe players could choose 2 or 3 to appear along their avatars and posts. Dead clans or dead communities would appear only if you "stalk" a user profile or on the dead group page. Or maybe people could sacrifice some active communities to keep their old clan on profile if the person really enjoys that group and wants this.

Another thing I thought is that maybe a player should be able to join any community it wants (no limit), but it would have to rank the communities by its preference or usage. This way the communities would still have some "weight", some would still be highlighted by players and people could participate and have access to all communities if they desire (and be accepted) while still highlighting the ones the player prefer or is more dedicated/specialized.

These are just some ideas.

EDIT: ah, maybe it would be interesting to see the history of past groups a player had, like player X was member of NNN clan from date Z to date Y, member of cfc clan from year V to year W, etc. Perhaps this is already possible to see, and I'm suggesting something that already exists and I was dumb enough to do not notice.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 04:16 AM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline TheKomodo

Re: Communities limit and dead groups
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 05:20 AM »
In the past if you donate you could get a special colour or extra community slot.

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 11:45 AM »
As I've already expressed my opinion to FoxHound before, I support the idea!

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 08:21 AM »
What's the point of having dead groups discussions? I'm not quite sure, but if I were this community, I would definitely opt for a more compelling narrative to get the point running and have great ideas flowing. That's just me though. But it's entirely up to you as to how you're going to make out the best time in a forum as possible.

I wonder if you read my post and not only the title, which says about a limit. I proposed this idea exactly because I'm thinking on new clans and new communities. Players don't want to leave their past clans and communities. Also, I do care about the historical information of this game, this community and this website. We can learn a lot from the past.

Do you have an example of a good way to inspire people to play more and be more active with new clans? Do you want to teach me the way I should use this forum?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 08:24 AM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Kradie

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 07:48 AM »
For a long time now there's been more than 2 community slots reserved for people who have donated, and rightfully so. But perhaps now it is time to give regular members more community slots, and compensate donaters with other exclusive benefits. I think this could encourage more engagement in the WA community and tie us more together.

What do you think MonkeyIsland, and others?
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Online MonkeyIsland

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 02:56 PM »
I'll do something about this but can't now. I'm busy with other parts of TUS at the moment.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 07:37 PM »
Donate to TUS!  MI runs this site with no advertisements, you can get an extra community slot for donating.  Most of the people here have played WA for hundreds if not thousands of hours, time to give back.

Offline FoxHound

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 08:47 PM »
Donate to TUS!  MI runs this site with no advertisements, you can get an extra community slot for donating.  Most of the people here have played WA for hundreds if not thousands of hours, time to give back.

I'm thinking about donating to TUS or to Nizikawa, or other developers of the game now that I have a job. But my suggestion is not thinking for myself only, because I don't care that much about receiving an extra slot when most people will still keep using the limited space for dead communities on their accounts. I'm thinking about something that in my opinion would be better for this community and this website. I don't like capitalism and its associated individualist culture. We live in a society like any existing primate in this world, and this game, this website, they exist because we are a society. If I donate, I will not ask for a new community slot.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:10 PM by FoxHound »
'

Offline Kradie

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 09:13 AM »
A paywall to expand community slots in a third party site of Worms Armageddon is an unnecessary monetization at this time. Why? Because the user base isn't that great. The Idea to have more slots could encourage new people to this site. How? Say that I am in 2 communities, and I wish to make another community for a particular purpose, this could encourage old but foremost new players to the site. ZaR community has already accumulated a few people to TUS, so you can only choose to Imagine how many people new communities that could bring to TUS.

Simple changes can make great difference. If you are worried about losing exclusive benefits then don't, I am sure there will be more exclusive benefits for people that had already donated and to those that chooses to donate anyway. I am just talking about giving the option to build more communities under the same roof :) So if it so happen that MnkeyIsland sees the necessity to monetize in other ways then why not?  I am sure it is for the benefit for the Worms Armageddon community.  :)

And if there is a future where more community slots become real popular, I am sure there can be a way to profit from it, if that is the primary concern of course. I don't mind capitalism at all, it is the very foundation of our society compared to communism.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 08:23 PM »
A paywall to expand community slots in a third party site of Worms Armageddon is an unnecessary monetization at this time. Why? Because the user base isn't that great. The Idea to have more slots could encourage new people to this site. How? Say that I am in 2 communities, and I wish to make another community for a particular purpose, this could encourage old but foremost new players to the site. ZaR community has already accumulated a few people to TUS, so you can only choose to Imagine how many people new communities that could bring to TUS.

Simple changes can make great difference. If you are worried about losing exclusive benefits then don't, I am sure there will be more exclusive benefits for people that had already donated and to those that chooses to donate anyway. I am just talking about giving the option to build more communities under the same roof :) So if it so happen that MnkeyIsland sees the necessity to monetize in other ways then why not?  I am sure it is for the benefit for the Worms Armageddon community.  :)

And if there is a future where more community slots become real popular, I am sure there can be a way to profit from it, if that is the primary concern of course. I don't mind capitalism at all, it is the very foundation of our society compared to communism.
No one is joining TUS because they will get an extra community slot.  You hammered out a lot of paragraphs, you could have summed it up by saying no, I will not donate.  Give MI money and make TUS great again.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 08:32 PM »

No one is joining TUS because they will get an extra community slot.  You hammered out a lot of paragraphs, you could have summed it up by saying no, I will not donate.  Give MI money and make TUS great again.
You missed the entire point, James. Bravo.... :(

Also in your case, you should not hustle people for charity on behalf of other. A person is not less a man that chooses not to donate.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 09:00 PM by Kradie »

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 09:07 PM »

Also in your case, you should not hustle people for charity on behalf of other. A person is not less a man that chooses not to donate.
I am the top #1 SJW guy here, if not me then who?

Also, #1 charity hustler guy.  A man is indeed less than a man that donates.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 09:59 PM »

Also, #1 charity hustler guy.  A man is indeed less than a man that donates.
That's where you're wrong. Just because a person chooses not to donate doesn't make them less valuable. In some cases there are other forms of charity than money.

And I don't think it is okay for you to ask TUS members on behalf of MonkeyIsland for donation. I am sure if MonkeyIsland really needed the money, I would think he would find another source of revenue. But from my point of view it doesn't seem as urgent as you make it out to be. TUS is great, and to my understanding MonkeyIsland is currently developing a new version of TUS. He probably does this at his free time, when the mood strikes, and if he would think money would motivate him, I am sure he would have humbly asked for it, that's conjecture of course.

What are you are doing now James, is counterproductive and has the opposite effect, it doesn't help anyone or TUS.

Online MonkeyIsland

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2022, 04:11 PM »
@TheWalrus, there is no pressure on members for donating and I don't distinguish between people who do and don't. TUS welcomes everyone who is interested in W:A.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Online Zalo the moler

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2022, 09:24 PM »
I actually 100% agree with TheWalrus here   :-[

MI has been doing God's work, and to me, WA.exe would never be WA.exe without TUS. MI's engagement is absolutely exceptional, let alone MI's humility.

I regularly follow retro gaming communities, (like Classic Tetris World Championship), and it warms up my heart to see people with MI's passion, taking care of all the community members, for decades...  :( :(

I might look silly admitting that, but TUS has helped me greatly in dealing with my life, being a great escape. It's just my opinion, and I might be totally wrong, but it feels a bit rude to me to express hope for constant updates after this many years  :-X I think it's just high time to give credit and applause to the ones who deserve it, and donations are the most appropriate way to do so. Again, just my opinion.

And I don't think it is okay for you to ask TUS members on behalf of MonkeyIsland for donation.

TheWalrus isn't doing it anywhere on behalf of MonkeyIsland  ??? ??? He only encourages people to appreciate what they have here, and rightfully so. I encourage as well.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 09:43 PM by GonZaLO »