Forums
April 18, 2024, 06:42 PM

Author Topic: Future of TUS  (Read 12354 times)

Offline TheKomodo

Re: Future of TUS
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2013, 09:54 PM »
avi, I was talking to KRD and he was talking to me, the man can speak for himself so shutup and stop trying to take any opportunity you can to start arguements with me.

And yes, he clearly said, AFTER, I pointed it out.

But by damn, everything else you said is spot on  ;D

Offline timo

« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2013, 10:08 PM »
TUS is a great league and site, but I wonder what will be after it? It's not really evolving now, people and clans are less active than before. There are many reasons of it, but it's a normal process of getting older.

The real question is: how to make people play WA together if so many of them are busy or maybe lazy to sit on ag for 30 mins and search games they would like to play?

First thing that comes into my mind is Worm Olympics. It's system is so nice, people can see date/times of the tournaments and plan their schedule according to that. If I know that there will a roper tourney at 18:00, I will be sure I can find some other players who like roper and wanna play it not-just-for-fun.

This system can work better than the current one in the future. You see date/times of "meetings", a list of signed-up players and decide to particiapte or not.

Also it solves a problem with "scheme avoiding". Since there will be a global points table, more tournaments you play, more points you have. There won't be more hysteria tournaments than elite or roper.

The only problem is organization. I have no idea how should it work. WO tourneys take too long time, sometimes 4-5 hours. TUS cups system is better at this point except TUS cups take months to finish :D

Well, the point of this topic is not to invent a new system. I just wonder if every1 is happy with the current one :)

I don't see you on AG and i'm every day. You playing mostly challanges. Let's play some funners :)

Offline timo

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2013, 10:15 PM »
aaa and second thing. For me league is a bit boring. Cups and tournays are more exciting for me, but they are rarely organized. Cups are as a mundial :D A lot players, at least me play with more attention, more emotion ;]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:34 PM by timo »

Offline Prankster

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2013, 11:27 PM »
Komo, think like this: avi was trying to help you understand what KRD said, not him to make clear what he meant. ;)

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2013, 11:31 PM »
Well Prankster that doesn't really make sense, seeing as I don't have superpowers which make me able to read other peoples minds...

KRD said it was "harder back then" which I replied to, THEN he went on to explain what he meant.

I could go ahead and do the same thing KRD did and say, all I did was point out what he actually said, regardless of what he meant, so the comment avi said was totally pointless and a waste of his own time anyway because everyone knew that already...

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2013, 12:43 AM »
I don't really see the point in debating about how CF got their rating. They decide to play in strong groups and if dt or AeF decided to play in groups of members who can cover all schemes they could easily climb the rating and top CF. Its just a choice of deciding how to run a clan and how competitive you decide to be.

CF achieved it with that method and it should remain at the top of the overall ratings. Someone can do the same route to get there if you try hard enough, and if CF decide to play and become active they'll probably drop points from being rusty.

KRD's arguments addresses the issue of deducting points due to inactivity, no one has come back with an argument to go against his since his post but just carried on talking about CF.

I agree with KRD. Don't reset the standings. That's not the answer.

At the end of the day, what exactly is the problem?

« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2013, 01:36 AM »
Komo, think like this: avi was trying to help you understand what KRD said, not him to make clear what he meant. ;)

Well Prankster that doesn't really make sense, seeing as I don't have superpowers which make me able to read other peoples minds...

You only have to read their posts ;) It's all in there, just as Prankster said.

Rating is something that is quite often discussed in chess, so it's not really a new discussion for me to read about. Ratings on TUS should be considered as split: the seasonal rating displays how strong a clan/player has performed during a season, while the overall displays how strong a clan/player is.
The thing is: a rating number tells you absolutely nothing if there's no context. A while back, Magnus Carlsen got the highest chess rating ever: 1862. This broke Garry Kasparov's 10 year record of 1851.
However, let's take a look at the #2 at the time. In Carlsen's case, the #2 had 1812. In Kasparov's case, the #2 had 2770.
This means that Kasparov was more ahead of the rest of the field than Carlsen was (by quite a wide margin), even though his top rating was lower. If you take everybody's rating in the world and add 400 points (or remove 400 points), it doesn't change the difference in points, which is what ratings are all about. (To make sense of these small point difference, in chess, you can not win more than a couple of points by winning a game, unless you beat someone who is much, much stronger than you)

The same applies to the overall ratings here: We only know CF's highest rating here, but to make sense of it, you have to know the ratings of their opponents. Everybody's rating depends on the average rating of the rest of the competition.
Now, when people with high ratings suddenly stop playing, they are taking their high ratings with them - the points are lost to the ladder. This means the average rating drops as well. Suddenly, reaching that higher rating becomes impossible, because nobody is in the same rating range (as avirex explained). Saving rating records is fine, but you also have to take into consideration the context under which it was reached.

An illustrating example in chess of an inactive player keeping a high rating probably would be Bobby Fischer, who stopped playing chess after he became world champion in 1972 (madness set in, sad story). It wasn't until 1990 until somebody got past that number. Does that mean nobody was stronger than Fischer until that moment? If you ask some really strong chess players who knew both Fischer and Karpov (the next world champion) well, most of them thought Karpov was stronger, even in the 70s already. In short, the inactive rating doesn't adequately display strength anymore. There are a lot of examples of inactive people coming back, still having their old ratings, but getting squashed by their opposition. A rating decay would have accurately displayed the slowly losing of skills.

« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2013, 02:46 AM »
Hello everybody!

Why I'm not interested TUS Classic League?

- The answer is simple. I do not like the scheme, which it is. I hate Roper. I am interested in land schemes. I do not like BNG. But sometimes I'm ready to play. He just seems very boring. Actually fall asleep.
When I came to the TUS, many players have played with me in the land schemes, did not choose Roper. I do not care for points, but win/lose ratio interested. I like to play in land schemes, I in them, and to play, to enjoy the game.

Why I'm not interested TUS Free League?

- Also. Previously played what they wanted, and now there are players who want to easily win. But here more interesting schemes.

I like idea the TEL and TRL

- The reason is simple. You know in advance what to play and have no choice. In Tel do not play, so as long as temporarily out of time.

Very often my games include "they agree on the third pick." Most of them - the pick (scheme)  is known in advance.

I can tell your that I have no desire to spend time training in Roper. In life, except for VA is much more interesting, and also has a job that takes a lot of time.

Why I like cups?

- You can play it in something like that. Cups are well implemented to TUS. This cybersports, cyberSports interest. It would be interesting to clear the rating, the ratings do overall, and the schemes. and take results with more than 20 players. So many cups from 6/8/12 ppl. It's easy to win, they should not affect the rating.
- But there's a problem, and a long period of prime time. From Monday to Friday I have prime-time 4 hours out of 24!, Weekends have the opportunity to play, but not always.

What's on in the tournament?

- Also you can play it in what you like. You know in advance the start time, you know in advance how much time you will spend on it.
It is also interesting to reset rating, making the overall rankings, and the schemes. and take results of tournaments with 16 or more players. A lot of tournaments with 6-8 ppl. It's easy to win, they should not affect the rating.

Challenge?

- But like everything, all happy ... but why is the time to perform a little.
ttrr Challenge should always be open. later registered user must have an equal chance to perform. in fact this is the record set for a given map and in the same conditions (offline). and others too ... but I do not know what to do with the problems.

I lost interest in the WO.

I will play, but not as much as in the summer. My 4th place in the summer BO does not cost anything! This is an 8 medals kami?

The expression suggests that this Olympiad. in each category (in this case, the scheme) must be successful ...
It should not be overall rating. It can be various rating schemes or nominations
- The best Roper (the player, the best in the Roper / wxw / ttrr)
- The best in Normal
- Unbreakable (the player who has won three tournaments in a row)
- The hero (the player has 5 gold medals)

170 tournaments a month is a lot. It is necessary to limit the number of tournaments. Even three times. And do alternating them at some prime time (see where the activity more). If the tournament is limited, the small number of tournaments may affect attendance. Somebody from old times come back and show what's what. He did not have to spend time frequenting.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 02:52 AM by Dmitry »

« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2013, 06:32 AM »
Dmitry, I don't like cups points system (but most of all I don't like how long time they take), because it's not dynamic like league standings or challenges. The one who plays more cups gets more points... A better motivation is fancy medals and cash prizes :D I doubt any1 checks cups standings.

I agree with D1, most overall ratings in most schemes are out of context, which is nowadays...

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2013, 08:03 AM »
Ok well I missed that one, sorry.

Offline Korydex

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2013, 10:25 AM »
We could have yearly overall reset, like in OIL. Also, we could still count absolute overall, but don't show it by default.

Offline Turko

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2013, 01:23 PM »
I lost interest in the WO.

I will play, but not as much as in the summer. My 4th place in the summer BO does not cost anything! This is an 8 medals kami?

The expression suggests that this Olympiad. in each category (in this case, the scheme) must be successful ...
It should not be overall rating. It can be various rating schemes or nominations
- The best Roper (the player, the best in the Roper / wxw / ttrr)
- The best in Normal
- Unbreakable (the player who has won three tournaments in a row)
- The hero (the player has 5 gold medals)

170 tournaments a month is a lot. It is necessary to limit the number of tournaments. Even three times. And do alternating them at some prime time (see where the activity more). If the tournament is limited, the small number of tournaments may affect attendance. Somebody from old times come back and show what's what. He did not have to spend time frequenting.

Seriously... stop hosting hysteria tournaments in wo there is one every day
Asbest`FAW> after match I will complain to ffie 
MOD`Dmitry> ok i too 
TdC--Turko> and ill get a lawyer

Spoiler! View

TdC''Turko> When will you fix your pc?
TaG'G> Never
TaG'G> Or maybe next week

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2013, 03:18 PM »
We could have yearly overall reset, like in OIL. Also, we could still count absolute overall, but don't show it by default.

This, would be awesome !!!!

Online Peja

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2013, 03:22 PM »
or we could just add a yearly rank and leave the others, would be the same lol.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2013, 03:31 PM »
Sounds better the way Kory said it.  ;D