Forums
April 19, 2024, 09:28 PM

Author Topic: Matchmaking  (Read 5847 times)

Offline Bonhert

Matchmaking
« on: December 15, 2012, 10:53 AM »
Ok. It's been few months since I came back and there's been one thing that I found especially frustrating. That is looking for a league match sometimes for hours and not being able to find one. Having to spam #AG is also rather unpleasant part of worming for most of us.

So during on of those lazy evenings I've scrolled through #AG chat and noticed that people often ask for tus, wait few mins, go afk/leave/join funners, then just few mins later someone else pops up and asks for tus, then again. So I've came with an idea, that you might be already familiar with from some other games.

That is matchmaking mechanism, which can be also implemented in a browser (I've it seen in Heroes of Newerth league).

Basically it would work somehow like this:

1. You click button "I want to play tus now" on the website.
2. You're put in a queue and your button changes to "Looking for a game...".
3. Algorithm searches for a proper rival (we can skip this in the beginning as it might be not needed with current number of games, but I believe matchmaking would increase number of games greatly over time).
4. When players are paired button changes to "Match found" and both players receive relevant information.

Optional settings for the future and discussion:
- algorithm (already mentioned),
- random scheme,
- random map,
- option to select "Quick find" for shorter queue but less balanced games.

People could still play games old-fashioned way.

PS. I'm willing to help or even do all the coding.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:59 AM by Bonhert »

Sure we could rope slower but it's not sexy!

Offline HHC

Re: Matchmaking
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:56 AM »
We had one at WormsLeague long ago. It worked nicely for a few weeks, but then it became rather inactive.

I think for most people it's still easiest just to go on snoop and ask for TUS.
Especially if you want to make the games balanced. I know a few guys who like the games when they aren't especially balanced  :-[ :x

Offline Hussar

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 11:09 AM »
great idea.... this could work if u do it correctly ~!

Offline Husk

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 01:43 PM »
this is something I would pretty much always use when I am logged into TUS, would be so great.

Offline Husk

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 06:18 AM »

Offline darKz

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 06:31 AM »
Matchmaking is a good way to prevent avoiding and it makes the standings waaaaay more accurate. From my (very) competitive point of view this is actually a must-have and should be enforced once implemented. I really think this was TPL's and AL's mistake, it didn't work out because people could still look for games the old-fashioned way and keep picking their opponents, avoiding etc. An avoider or noob basher wouldn't ever use it if he didn't have to. :)

Edit: If this is ever going to happen personally I'd like to see the overall standings reset right before it kicks in. Can still save them in a hall of fame sort of thing.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 06:36 AM by darKz »
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Ryan

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 07:22 AM »
For singles this could be made the only way to find a TUS.
Would have a more diverse set of games played then.
Scheme picks could be made later.

It would be funny if you declare scheme as you enter the matchmaker - you could end up with best players of a scheme playing eachother! I understand that this creates luck element though.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 07:34 AM »
Also would be cool to make reporting possible only after system understand you are paired with your opponent
So in fact you can't avoid at all ;D

Offline Ryan

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 12:48 PM »
Also would be cool to make reporting possible only after system understand you are paired with your opponent
So in fact you can't avoid at all ;D

Yep

Online MonkeyIsland

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 12:54 PM »
I think that may work to solve avoiding issue, but I think it will cause some issues. What if I want to play with my friend?
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline HHC

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 01:01 PM »
You can give players more points for using the challenge system.
And even more points for having the challenge system choose scheme as well.

Offline darKz

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 01:06 PM »
You can still play with your friend, just not TUS unless you're roughly the same rank and both queuing for a TUS match. I really don't see the problem to be honest. :D
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 01:19 PM »
It would work better as a desktop application, and even more better, as a Snooper plug-in, but I doubt it will be made :)

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline Husk

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 01:51 PM »
oh and MI I am sure u can play with ur friend a TUS if u both click the button somewhat same time, sometimes there are 0 people searching for tus games ):

Offline Bonhert

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 03:10 PM »
I'm glad you guys finally noticed the topic ;), as I consider this game-finding solution extremely comfortable and very competitive. I'd like to address just a few thing that have been mentioned.

It would be funny if you declare scheme as you enter the matchmaker - you could end up with best players of a scheme playing each other! I understand that this creates luck element though.
Yes! There could also be an option, for example, to delete one scheme from queue, if you don't want to play it. There are really many ways to play around.

It would work better as a desktop application, and even more better, as a Snooper plug-in, but I doubt it will be made :)
Sounds very nice and would need to be merged with the website queue.
I'm quite sure this can be implemented by using, for example, PHP SDK library.

Sure we could rope slower but it's not sexy!