Forums
April 24, 2024, 03:20 AM

Author Topic: @MonkeyIsland - Make a Discord server?  (Read 3724 times)

Offline TheKomodo

@MonkeyIsland - Make a Discord server?
« on: April 12, 2021, 02:46 PM »
The growing success of the ONL Discord seeing people organizing games and activity booming, along with seeing a recent surge in activity for TUS has made me wonder about having an official TUS Discord server ran by the TUS staff.

Mainly it would be there for members of TUS to chat about TUS and organize matches, but it could also relay news/results/upcoming important matches like the finals of any cup/tournament/playoffs.

Members of the server can opt to have an @TUS tag so you can notify everyone with the tag you are currently searching for a match. You could even have a tag specifically for singles and one for clanners.

Channels could be made for members of cups/playoffs in order to organize their games efficiently.

I reckon it could be a great step forward for TUS, does anyone else think this would be a good idea?

Offline MonkeyIsland

Re: @MonkeyIsland - Make a Discord server?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 03:49 PM »
What's wrong with Sensei's Discord server?
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 03:56 PM »
What's wrong with Sensei's Discord server?

It isn't yours. It isn't TUS specific.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 11:08 PM »
i think this has potential. If anyone was to mod it i think it would make for Senator too! But there are already alot of worms related discord servers. So would it be one too many?

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 11:30 PM »
i think this has potential. If anyone was to mod it i think it would make for Senator too! But there are already alot of worms related discord servers. So would it be one too many?

Personally I think if there were 1 million servers it still wouldn't be too many if they all have a unique purpose specific to their use.

I don't like Sensei's server, it doesn't matter why, but even if I did, that server has it's own purpose not related to TUS so it's completely useless as far as my suggestion is concerned.

TUS is a massive success in it's own right/history, it should not be a sub-channel within anything else.

On the other hand if nobody cares then fair enough lol, it's worth a try.  :)

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 03:12 PM »
I gotta continue the current process of TUS to see what happens. I'm redoing the shoutbox and messaging system. They'll become more robust and with the new code/layout and the new mobile app, they'll pretty much act like a messenger. In a way, the shoutbox will become the public TUS channel and you can start live messaging with any member. With that in mind, I'm not sure having a separate discord channel would help.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 04:12 PM »
Say what you want about Sensei's discord server, but it is a success. This also goes to the other Worms Armageddon related discord servers that are smaller in size. However, if you allow yourself to look at the other way, I can totally see the necessity for a TUS discord server and here is why: Not everyone to my guessing, would  want to keep their browsers, tabs, & phones open just to chat here on TUS. It would be more convenient & preferable imo, for TUS to have a discord link on the main site near the messenger. At least this would allow people to have the option to choose where they would conduct their communication. It would also allow TUS to reach out to more people who wishes to engage in ranked games & casual worms talk.

Speaking of Discord, perhaps TUS could also open a Twitch channel too. To stream random league games and so on.

In other words, TUS is the perfect WA hub for communication & streaming.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 09:36 PM »
my aim is to stream more league games on twitch to create more awareness around WA. Once i've got a bit of a better set up I hope you all find me and don't troll. It will be a good way to attract new comers to worms.

MI - i know your doing some nice coding for the shoutbox but couldn't a discord embed work in a similar way?

Komo - perhaps a TUS server will naturally happen organically?

If lots of people ask for league games on discord does it make it harder for new comers in AG to learn about the leagues?

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 09:40 PM »
If lots of people ask for league games on discord does it make it harder for new comers in AG to learn about the leagues?

At this point, i've seen the positive effect Discord has on organizing games and I strongly believe when there is a will, there is a way. Anyone interested in playing competitively will find out about it sooner or later.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 10:16 PM »
I think people are more comfortable on discord rather than to use site messengers & snoopers. Not many know of snooper, and just use channels just to host their games. Most doesn't even know that there is a league, and that you can use WormNAT2 instead of HB. So a link to discord on front page of this site could entice visitors of this site to click it and become member of a TUS discord.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline SIBASA

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 10:23 PM »
I support the idea of ​​creating a kind of communication center between players and I think that discord is good for this, since people sit in it more often, minimizing to tray on their computer or with push notifications on their phone.

If the new tus mobile app can provide the same speed of messaging, instant notifications and other convenient features, then cool :)
The problem may be that it is difficult to unite absolutely everyone, so it makes sense to have communication points in various public and mass platforms, like a discord

P.S. Now I'm hosting a cup and I was able to collect 75 percent of the cup members in a separate discord chat. I think this is a good indicator.

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 11:00 AM »
I agree. Would be nice a discord channel for TUS league, in order to arrange games etc.

Offline Squirminator2k

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 04:38 PM »
Not sure about adding yet another community Discord server to the mix - perhaps better to partner with an existing, successful server? - but I second the suggestion for an official TUS Twitch channel to stream tournaments and games and things.

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 04:50 PM »
Not sure about adding yet another community Discord server to the mix - perhaps better to partner with an existing, successful server? - but I second the suggestion for an official TUS Twitch channel to stream tournaments and games and things.

Good idea. There is already the ONL league channel. I don't know about other leagues. But I would think it's cool that there was a union, so it could encourage players in the ONL league to play TUS and vice versa. Someone would have to ask permission from the owners of the respective channels. I liked the idea.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 04:54 PM »

I think that is a horrible idea.

I do not see an issue with creating as many Discord servers as needed, in fact, there is a whole world out there full of an uncountable number of experiences and options, but we choose to do the things that are useful to us and the other things don't get in our way usually.

Creating a TUS specific Discord server would benefit this website and be kept seperate from any other server which has nothing to do with TUS.

Especially when you take into consideration the amount of channels that would be useful:

Matchmaking - Singles
Matchmaking - Clanners
Playoffs
Tournaments
Challenges
Cups
General Chat

Every time a new Cup starts, the moderators can create a channel specific to it so players can easily find each other and organize games.

People in communities and clans can have tags specific to them, so you can easily organize clanners by tagging specific clans/people.

To be honest, the vision I had for a TUS Discord server is worth more than just throwing it into an already existing Discord, TUS is WA's longest running main league, it deserves to be shown respect.

I prefer quality over quantity, throwing everything together in one channel is messy and just plain bad in my opinion.