Forums
April 19, 2024, 06:21 PM

Author Topic: @MonkeyIsland - Make a Discord server?  (Read 3699 times)

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
Re: @MonkeyIsland - Make a Discord server?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2021, 05:08 PM »
Yes, Komito. I understand better now. Well, go ahead guys! Make a TUS league discord channel! Will be awesome. Btw, Komito would be a great administrator for the channel, since he has nice ideas.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2021, 06:34 PM »
Yes, Komito. I understand better now. Well, go ahead guys! Make a TUS league discord channel! Will be awesome. Btw, Komito would be a great administrator for the channel, since he has nice ideas.

The good thing about Discord is you can setup specific access for specific channels, so the only admin rights I would want in the Discord, if any, would be the same that I have here, Tournaments and Challenges. The rest of the moderators do their job well and I think that would translate well over onto Discord also.

Offline SIBASA

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 12:19 AM »
I have created a discord server dedicated to TUS. Join us and see how successful this idea is. If this will be popular, then I am ready to transfer the rights to manage the channel to the trustees of the TUS site

Join:  https://discord.gg/EXeSSURj

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2021, 01:00 AM »
SIBASA, while I appreciate the effort, this needs to be done by official staff at TUS and ran by TUS moderators.

I highly recommend people if they join the server created by SIBASA to keep in mind it was not made by TUS staff and the design/moderation should definitely not be associated with TUS.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2021, 04:07 AM »
I concur with Komito. I also would like to add that, SIBASA is in my honest opinion, is not the ideal choice to run TUS discord server. This is simply because of language barrier, & his lack of keen sense of understanding of communication, expression, & awareness, particularly in English. This is not a jab at SIBASA, he seem to be a good guy, he just wants to do right thing, and I am sure he is very capable in his own native language. But to take on a huge task managing a TUS discord server, as a infrastructure of TUS, he perhaps lack quality of language communication. This is why TUS staff excels, they know how to communicate, make unbiased decision to best of their ability. If I am wrong about SIBASA, surely then are we talking about instating him part of TUS staff? Well, either the case, I wouldn't mind if he is qualified. As longest it makes WA great....
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2021, 07:38 PM »
what about Sensei's server? what if we just add a channel there for tus league queueing?

i was also thinking of a matchmaking bot but that might be too ambitious

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2021, 07:51 PM »
what about Sensei's server? what if we just add a channel there for tus league queueing?

I've already addressed why that's a bad idea.

Offline Squirminator2k

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2021, 11:39 PM »
As a counter to Komito's objection to partnering with an established server: You can create multiple channels and group them under a specific heading. A number of community servers already do this.

My feeling is that isn't doesn't make sense to have yet another Discord server when the community already has a handful of "accepted" servers. Partnering with an existing server makes the most sense for community cohesion, IMO, and may also give TUS reach to people who may not have been aware of it previously.

Offline SIBASA

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2021, 12:02 AM »
After all, I said right away that I created this channel and was ready to completely transfer control rights to the official staff of the TUS, if they so wish.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2021, 01:29 AM »
You can create multiple channels and group them under a specific heading. A number of community servers already do this.

Yes, and I prefer to avoid communities that do this, I prefer to be in specific servers for specific things, which is one reason why I left Sensei's Discord server. There was too much going on and it was too much of a distraction for me personally.

Personally speaking, if TUS did move to Discord, i'd rather have it as it's own entity, rather than being thrown in with something that is not directly involved.

I would not want to nagivate TUS Discord as part of another server, personally I do not want to be a part of Sensei's server and even if it was another server I do want to be a part of I still wouldn't want to merge them.

I believe it would be neater and more specifically useful to have it under it's own isolated server which is easier to manage and full of people who are directly involved in that website/League.

Also, i'd like to have full notifications for the entire server, without having to disable everything else included in Sensei's server.

My feeling is that isn't doesn't make sense to have yet another Discord server when the community already has a handful of "accepted" servers. Partnering with an existing server makes the most sense for community cohesion, IMO, and may also give TUS reach to people who may not have been aware of it previously.

Your feeling is that you personally don't want yet another Discord server.

I do not want to be a part of Sensei's server, should I be forced to join that server? I believe it's fairer to have a unique server to serve a specific purpose and require people to join, than force them to join a server they do not wish to be involved with just to be involved in something they have been a fan of for over a decade.

TUS existed well before Sensei's server, to me it's more important than Sensei's server.

TUS has always existed as an individually recognized entity, and I personally feel like it would be disrespectful to insert it into an already existing "Worms Armageddon" Discord which isn't even ran by official Team17 staff.

After all, I said right away that I created this channel and was ready to completely transfer control rights to the official staff of the TUS, if they so wish.

I do not intend to insult you, but do not think you should have created this Discord in the first place, it felt extremely disappointing when I joined there only to realise it was not an official server and immediately left.

I'd personally like to see the official TUS staff design a server themselves and also create it themselves, it would have a much more satisfying feeling of release.

It's like, waiting for a new release of one of your favourite franchises, only to be met with a cheap knock off brand...

I'd rather have nothing at all, than an unofficial server, or be bundled in amongst someone else's crap.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2021, 01:00 PM »
I think it is best to wait and see MonkeyIsland's input on this.

Without MI's recognition of this discord server, I will see it as unofficial.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2021, 10:06 PM »
I agree, TUS needs a dedicated discord. I don't participate in Sensei's server because there's much information going on in a short period of time, I feel uncomfortable.
I have nothing against Sensei's or the way they manage it, I just prefer very specific servers.
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2021, 02:12 PM »
I agree, TUS needs a dedicated discord. I don't participate in Sensei's server because there's much information going on in a short period of time, I feel uncomfortable.
I have nothing against Sensei's or the way they manage it, I just prefer very specific servers.

Although I recognize the importance of his server, I agree and feel the same.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2021, 04:14 PM »
I think Sensei is doing a good job but I don't see a need for a TUS Discord channel. Over the past 15 years, I've seen too many messenger applications come and go (remember Xfire hype?) and none of those messengers never fully united members because we live in different part of the world. In each country there is one or two popular chat applications and that's it.

My solution is to unite members via TUS itself. It was a decision I had made way before this topic. The next version of TUS has:

- Live messaging + @mention feature
- Live notifications on TUS and TUS mobile app
- Private chats between members (both 1v1 chat and custom group chat. You can invite any member into your custom private chat group)
- Clans and community chat
- TUS public channel (current shoutbox)
- Custom public channels made by members (for the purpose of managing events)

I've coded about 60% of the above. Attached the sneak pics. (Komo I've shared a part of our private chat which was harmless, hope you don't mind)

I don't know about the release time. The amount of coding and ideas are overwhelming and I'm coding on daily basis. Moving forward one step at a time.

Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2021, 04:49 PM »
To be honest, it sounds like this will do what Discord would do anyway so that's fantastic!

Yeah it's cool to use the picture.

Are you open to suggestions about how the live messaging will work? Is it possible to have tags like how Discord works? So not only can you notify people by their name, but people who are linked to whatever tag.

For example, everyone who plays singles can have a tag "Singles", and when you look for a match on this app, you type "@Singles" TUS Anyone? Then everyone would get notified who wears that tag.

Also, is it at all possible to have a channel where notifications are shown for streamers? Chicken23 started streaming his TUS matches as well as the stuff i've been doing, and others stream as well.