Forums
March 28, 2024, 11:58 PM

Author Topic: off topic forum  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Chicken23

off topic forum
« on: December 31, 2020, 01:17 PM »
Should we remove the off topic forum or is that restricting freedom of speech?

The covid vaccine thread has a lot of different view points and that's fair enough, but one post which came out of it is Komodo giving a great example of toxic people on wormnet ruining the game for others.

This is a community site for an online game and maybe we should keep things strict to worms and the community around it. I understand everyone has different political beliefs, but those screenshots Komodo shared of homophilic, transphobic and racist behaviour are gross. Perhaps to protect what is a small and fragile community (one which i'd love to see centralised as Dave knows), some better moderation is needed?

Perhaps off-topic discussions, shouldn't be on a WA community site and instead can happen freely between people's games or anything goes?

Am I being too strict like Kiros in FB?  :o

Offline nino

Re: off topic forum
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 01:59 AM »
Kiros was the Hittler of FB Forum ae  :D :D :D

He Would love to ban some putos here  ;D ;D ;D
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 07:37 AM »

I think if everyone had the freedom to ban whoever they wanted, I think the only people left would possibly be MI/CS/DC.

Offline Squirminator2k

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 07:56 AM »
I'm reminded of a story I read online some time ago.

A guy has moved into a new town. He's found himself a new bar, and he makes a regular habit of coming in, sitting at the bar, and having a drink.

One day, another newcomer comes in. I forget the specific description of his aesthetic, but he had a Nazi tattoo somewhere visible on his person. He comes in, says Hello, and politely asks for a drink.

Immediately, the barkeep tells him to f@#! off. "Get the f@#! out," he says.

The neo-Nazi leaves without a fuss. This confuses the new guy - the neo-Nazi was, it seemed, courteous and friendly, and wasn't saying or doing anything to cause any trouble. So the new guy asks why the barkeep decided to toss him out.

The barkeep replies, simply, that you've got to nip it in the bud before they get comfortable. Because it's never just one, and they're never just friendly. If you don't kick them out immediately, they invite a friend. Then another friend. And before long, you have a bar full of Nazis and white supremacists, making things extremely uncomfortable for everyone else.

Now, the interesting thing is that this also happens online. You get your alt-right types joining forums for subjects they like. They're passionate about the topic. They have interesting points to raise about the topic. Maybe they're funny, or charming, or pleasant to chat with. And then, in the corners and seams and margins, they start bringing up their ideology. Or they start "Just Asking Questions" and playing Devil's Advocate about things like welfare or the Holocaust.

Studies show that this is a common recruitment tactic amount the right - they put forward heinous points and believes under the guise of "Just Asking Questions", then get defensive when you call them on it. They want people to see their points, because maybe it'll encourage people to think like them. They want people who disagree with them to debate their points, because it legitimizes them. And when they can see they aren't getting any real pushback or resistance from the community, or from the Admins and Mods of a forum, they can invite more people. Because hey, it's safe to question vaccines here. It's safe to ask whether the Holocaust ever happened. Nobody is pushing back on their use of terms like "SJW", nobody stops them from posting the N-word without warning.

Those same studies show that the only way, the only effective means of stopping the spread of alt-right activity on a forum or in a community when somebody challenges the ecosystem like that, is the same approach that barkeep took in that story - you silence them. You tell them to f@#! off, to get the f@#! out. You nip it in the bud before it becomes a problem.

Off-topic is fine... within reason. So long as there is civility, so long as there are limits, and as long as anybody who even pushes up against those boundaries is shown the door - politely or otherwise. You nip it in the bud before the entire place turns into a Nazi bar. You cannot tolerate that kind of intolerance.

Offline nino

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 09:27 PM »

I think if everyone had the freedom to ban whoever they wanted, I think the only people left would possibly be MI/CS/DC.

And me!! cos king!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 10:04 PM »
Nah nino, even kings have enemies lol. 

We all do. :P

Offline nino

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 10:51 PM »
Nah nino, even kings have enemies lol. 

We all do. :P

Sure I agree we do have enemies but they have no balls to click on ban button!!!

Look at Kiros, he ended FB cos he felt like banning me but what he did instead? ended FB lmfao jk

:D :D :D :D :D

Offline skunk3

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 01:40 AM »
I could understand this sort of pre-emptive vigilance if the game community in question was new, or at risk of being inundated with young players, but that simply is not the case with W:A and never will be. I personally couldn't care less if the off-topic forum gets removed, but I do think it would be a shame because it's probably the most interesting sub-forum on this site because it's not all about Worms.

Regarding what I've personally said: I simply don't care if anyone gets offended or not. In fact, I think that being genuinely 'offended' by something you read on the internet is a hallmark of a weak person. We are communicating to each other internationally using aliases and avatars on a game forum dedicated to a 20+ year old game of cartoon worms blowing each other up with ridiculous weapons. If you get offended by anything you read on this site, I find that ridiculously pathetic.

"Wokeism" is trash and needs to end. People have different opinions, and just because *your* opinions might currently be on the side of what is socially acceptable (as promoted by the media / social media), that doesn't mean they are any more valid than those of another. People also love to jump to conclusions and accuse people of this and that based upon their knee-jerk reactions to what someone says, and I find it all so nauseating and dumb. Morals and values are not universal.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:44 AM by MonkeyIsland »

Offline Kradie

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 01:58 AM »
I could understand this sort of pre-emptive vigilance if the game community in question was new, or at risk of being inundated with young players, but that simply is not the case with W:A and never will be. I personally couldn't care less if the off-topic forum gets removed, but I do think it would be a shame because it's probably the most interesting sub-forum on this site because it's not all about Worms.

Regarding what I've personally said: I simply don't care if anyone gets offended or not. In fact, I think that being genuinely 'offended' by something you read on the internet is a hallmark of a weak person. We are communicating to each other internationally using aliases and avatars on a game forum dedicated to a 20+ year old game of cartoon worms blowing each other up with ridiculous weapons. If you get offended by anything you read on this site, I find that ridiculously pathetic.

"Wokeism" is trash and needs to end. People have different opinions, and just because *your* opinions might currently be on the side of what is socially acceptable (as promoted by the media / social media), that doesn't mean they are any more valid than those of another. People also love to jump to conclusions and accuse people of this and that based upon their knee-jerk reactions to what someone says, and I find it all so nauseating and dumb. Morals and values are not universal.
This is one reason why WA community is toxic and divisive  The SJW aspect.

I am proud to see a man gives his independent & clear voice in the midst of darkness.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:44 AM by MonkeyIsland »
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 08:47 AM »
Freedom of speech is defined at the government level. It simply means you won't get arrested for expressing yourself. This website is personal and pretty much my territory. It's completely free. There's not one single Ad on it either. I don't owe it to anyone. I can run it however I want with any policy that I like. It has nothing to do with free speech. You are invited to my "house" and if I ask you to take your shoes off before entering, you have to get along with that. (if you still want to come in of course)

TUS is an international website with one concern: supporting W:A players.  I don't want off-topic controversial topics to be discussed. In your own country you can't come to a common conclusion with your own nation. Imagine this is an international website. Members come from different countries, cultures, races, ages, genders, languages etc...

Even though we have an off topic forum, but it is still a W:A website and in my opinion it should  be used for harmless (vanilla) subjects. I'm an adult and I can deal with many subjects but would you refer a 13-years-old to TUS as the main W:A community? Can they handle controversial topics? or let's ask a better question: Is it really necessary to come to a Worms website and read unrelated controversial comments? My answer is no and since it is my house, then "no" it is.

If you like to discuss these subjects, I'm pretty sure you can find far more better forums out there than "a 20+ year old game of cartoon worms blowing each other up with ridiculous weapons" forums.

(I have modified your post and cut the second half for obvious reasons. You tend to post the same concept any time you get a chance. I strongly suggest you to find the appropriate site/community for discussing those)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 12:44 PM »
@skunk3

Personally speaking, my opinions have absolutely nothing to do with what is socially acceptable, as I for the most part don't care what people think about me personally. A lot of the things I do, read, laugh about in life would make so many other people extremely uncomfortable, that doesn't mean to think they are weak, because understanding that we are not all similar, that we all have a different path in life, different genetics, different influences, different reactions, and many other different traits, is important and I try to respect that.

Not to mention i've had these views and opinions before the internet even started picking up momentum as a powerful interactive social media entity, i've never found it acceptable to act in such a selfish manner.

If you don't care if anyone gets offended or not, that's your choice, and while you might think that makes you tough or whatever, others will view you as a selfish and inconsiderate person.

The fact you label good manners, respect and kindness for others as such things like "wokeism" and "being a social justice warrior" is hilarious, these common values of caring and respecting your fellow man are shared around the world and have been around before even electricity was discovered and really have nothing to do with either of those labels.

I'm not religious but, I mean, look at the first lessons written in pretty much all bibles. "Respect thy neighbour".(The point here being the bible is VERY old, so these morals are not simply associated with trends on the internet in the year 2020+)

We are not born with toxic, negative personalities, we are not born racist, homophobic, bigoted, we are taught those things(if we are unfortunate, in my opinion), in fact, we humans are born with only 2 innate universal fears, the fear of loud sounds and a fear of falling. Feeling good feels good so i'd rather teach people positive traits rather than negative ones.

Anyway, MonkeyIsland is spot on when he says this website, and more specifically the off topic forum should be used for harmless(vanilla) subjects.

Just because most of the playerbase you interact with are adults doesn't mean there are not any children and adolescents currently active. If you don't care you may possibly have a negative impact on them, make them feel negative in any way, well frankly that's your right, nobody can forcefully change your behaviour, however that doesn't mean we should all feel the way you do and go around not giving a f**k if we hurt people, and of course you will be subject to scrutiny and judgement, just as we are from your side.

You look at people who care as weak, where as I believe it takes more courage and strength to openly show you care about stuff in todays world and put yourself out there, tell people how you really feel than keep it all locked up and act like you don't care because more often than not you will get shot down for being open and honest, people will try to take advantage of you, so someone who can put themselves out there has qualities I personally admire. Personally I think people who share your perspective(purely in this subject, not as an overall entity) as having primitive qualities in the evolution of the human mind.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 12:46 PM by Komito »

Offline nino

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 12:58 PM »
Maybe we should have political forum for krandie!

Just an idea!

;D ;D

Offline nino

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 01:05 PM »
Freedom of speech is defined at the government level. It simply means you won't get arrested for expressing yourself. This website is personal and pretty much my territory. It's completely free. There's not one single Ad on it either. I don't owe it to anyone. I can run it however I want with any policy that I like. It has nothing to do with free speech. You are invited to my "house" and if I ask you to take your shoes off before entering, you have to get along with that. (if you still want to come in of course)

TUS is an international website with one concern: supporting W:A players.  I don't want off-topic controversial topics to be discussed. In your own country you can't come to a common conclusion with your own nation. Imagine this is an international website. Members come from different countries, cultures, races, ages, genders, languages etc...

Even though we have an off topic forum, but it is still a W:A website and in my opinion it should  be used for harmless (vanilla) subjects. I'm an adult and I can deal with many subjects but would you refer a 13-years-old to TUS as the main W:A community? Can they handle controversial topics? or let's ask a better question: Is it really necessary to come to a Worms website and read unrelated controversial comments? My answer is no and since it is my house, then "no" it is.

If you like to discuss these subjects, I'm pretty sure you can find far more better forums out there than "a 20+ year old game of cartoon worms blowing each other up with ridiculous weapons" forums.

(I have modified your post and cut the second half for obvious reasons. You tend to post the same concept any time you get a chance. I strongly suggest you to find the appropriate site/community for discussing those)

This made me remember about something happened when i was around 15..i was travelling with my dad by car and my dad stoped on a gas station to pick man friend of him and give a ride.. in the road my dad started to smoke in his car and the man started to complain, my dad just stoped the car, and said go away then it is my car and u know i smoke , get a bus then bye ae... huahaua

simple ae cos king!

Offline skunk3

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 08:43 PM »

No, freedom of speech is a natural right, not a privilege granted by authority.

As far as this site being yours, sure it is. You can enforce any rules you want, and I am not obligated to participate. The fact that you are censoring/editing my posts indicates to me that this isn't the place for me. I have no idea who you are and I'm not sure if I have ever once seen you on WormNET (despite the fact that I've been around since day one), so the whole situation irks me.

As far as some random 13-year-old coming to this website, I am sure that they have encountered far worse on the internet. They also are not compelled to read posts and replies in an off-topic subforum, but I digress. It doesn't matter.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 09:22 PM »
@skunk3

Personally speaking, my opinions have absolutely nothing to do with what is socially acceptable, as I for the most part don't care what people think about me personally. A lot of the things I do, read, laugh about in life would make so many other people extremely uncomfortable, that doesn't mean to think they are weak, because understanding that we are not all similar, that we all have a different path in life, different genetics, different influences, different reactions, and many other different traits, is important and I try to respect that.

Not to mention i've had these views and opinions before the internet even started picking up momentum as a powerful interactive social media entity, i've never found it acceptable to act in such a selfish manner.

If you don't care if anyone gets offended or not, that's your choice, and while you might think that makes you tough or whatever, others will view you as a selfish and inconsiderate person.

The fact you label good manners, respect and kindness for others as such things like "wokeism" and "being a social justice warrior" is hilarious, these common values of caring and respecting your fellow man are shared around the world and have been around before even electricity was discovered and really have nothing to do with either of those labels.

I'm not religious but, I mean, look at the first lessons written in pretty much all bibles. "Respect thy neighbour".(The point here being the bible is VERY old, so these morals are not simply associated with trends on the internet in the year 2020+)

We are not born with toxic, negative personalities, we are not born racist, homophobic, bigoted, we are taught those things(if we are unfortunate, in my opinion), in fact, we humans are born with only 2 innate universal fears, the fear of loud sounds and a fear of falling. Feeling good feels good so i'd rather teach people positive traits rather than negative ones.

Anyway, MonkeyIsland is spot on when he says this website, and more specifically the off topic forum should be used for harmless(vanilla) subjects.

Just because most of the playerbase you interact with are adults doesn't mean there are not any children and adolescents currently active. If you don't care you may possibly have a negative impact on them, make them feel negative in any way, well frankly that's your right, nobody can forcefully change your behaviour, however that doesn't mean we should all feel the way you do and go around not giving a f**k if we hurt people, and of course you will be subject to scrutiny and judgement, just as we are from your side.

You look at people who care as weak, where as I believe it takes more courage and strength to openly show you care about stuff in todays world and put yourself out there, tell people how you really feel than keep it all locked up and act like you don't care because more often than not you will get shot down for being open and honest, people will try to take advantage of you, so someone who can put themselves out there has qualities I personally admire. Personally I think people who share your perspective(purely in this subject, not as an overall entity) as having primitive qualities in the evolution of the human mind.

Obviously people are going to be quite different in general. However, my point is simple: being offended by something that you read on the internet, that is not personally directed towards yourself, is weak. Not liking something is one thing. Being offended is a choice, and being offended by something impersonal is a stupid choice.

Am I selfish? Not at all. Inconsiderate? I'd argue no. I'm just honest. If I honestly express myself on a particular topic and my words are seen as harsh or even hateful, am I being inconsiderate? Should I just say nothing at all any time someone might not like what I have to say? What about all of the bullshit nonsense I see and hear from other people on a daily basis (IRL and not) that *is* deemed socially acceptable? Should I expect them to keep their thoughts to their selves also, or is it okay for them to say whatever dumb shit they want because it's 'politically correct'? Should I cry about how they are being inconsiderate of me?

I have no issue with respect, kindness, and manners. I fully support those ideals. However, that is not to say that some topics need to be frankly addressed. You can't leave a wound to fester. You have to clean and treat it, or problems will spread.

When it comes to the notion of "respecting" your fellow man, that doesn't mean openly accepting everything they do and support. In a modern context I can see how people might see it that way, but back in those days all it meant was not f@#!ing each other other by killing, stealing, raping, etc. Basic codes of conduct that are conducive to a somewhat safe and prosperous society, in other words. However, that being said, they surely were not taking into account the kind of deviancy and degeneracy that plagues us today and there is a lot of scriptural evidence out there to back that assertion up. The story of Sodom and Gomorrah is one such example.

As far as not being born with prejudice, that is absolutely true. However, people aren't just taught prejudice, it is also learned if that makes sense. People can have very different ideals than their parents or primary social group. They can come to their own conclusions based upon their own experiences and studies. In many cases, views that are seen as 'fringe' are typically labeled as such by the masters of the society because they aren't helpful in regards to furthering their social conditioning goals... not because they are objectively wrong or arguably immoral. Do you not see the globalist agenda going on? Do you not see the intentional, methodical destruction of tradition and identity that is happening? Doesn't matter.

You talk about courage. What takes more courage - openly expressing unpopular opinions or expressing opinions that are supported and championed by corporations, social media, and scripted mainstream news? Get real man. Nobody is 'brave' for being a deviant these days. They are celebrated, for f@#!'s sake! It's a popularity contest, and they are winning. The more of a weirdo you are, the cooler you are and the more you can cash in those woke tokens for clout and social manipulation. It takes waaaaaay more courage and balls to speak up and say what is unpopular.