Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:27 PM

Author Topic: Suggestions by sbs  (Read 1394 times)

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
Suggestions by sbs
« on: June 08, 2021, 07:02 AM »
Not sure if this is the ideal place to post this, but I have a suggestion/criticism made by sbs. He is very active in WMDB, but he doesn't like that TUS have this "Newbie" tag when you create an account here. He thinks it is a bit depreciative and compared to something we both criticize about WMDB, the bullying tags: Unimaginative, Not-so-good-graphics, Clumsy. Is it possible to change this "Newbie" label to something like "new member"? "Newbie" people may think you are newbie to WA, and that's surely not the case of many WA players present here, and sbs plays this game for a very, very long time. He plays this game online way before me, and he is still very active, in my opinion he is the best active map maker of this game. People think he is not so old school player because he started making maps later than other players, but he plays this game way before making his first maps.

Another thing he suggested, more like a dream, because he knows this would be very difficult to happen: the day that TUS and WMDB be together as one. That would be very interesting, I agree with him... He is a bit afraid to loose the database from WMDB (very valuable website for WA), specially because many people behind WMDB are not so active... I know the developers of TUS and WMDB are different, and this fusion could be hard to implement, but that's the feedback I'm sending here by sbs.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 07:11 AM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline TheKaren

Re: Suggestions by sbs
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 07:10 AM »
Newbie literally means inexperienced newcomer though, and since they are new to TUS it's accurate.

I have never personally heard anyone say noob/newbie means unimaginative or not-so-good-graphics.

Clumsy and unimaginative, I could understand since a lack of experience can make one appear clumsy and inexperienced, and without experience it's hard to know the possibilities.

But what has graphics got to do with ones abilities lol.

Still, there's no harm in changing it if a lot of people share this misconception.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 07:40 AM »
Newcomer, or Noviice, are more suitable imo. The word ''Noob'', is more of a child word. I don't like it when people describe themselves as one, even though I may use it jokingly :P
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 07:42 AM »
Newbie is the forum default name. I changed it to "new member".

sbs is welcome to join us. We don't consider him as newbie :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 07:46 AM by MonkeyIsland »
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 07:45 AM »
Newbie literally means inexperienced newcomer though, and since they are new to TUS it's accurate.

I know, I personaly don't care so much about this, but I've seen more than one person complaining about this and I think "newcomer" sounds better. All words of all languages are different from each other, even synonyms have differences. That's the beauty of each word, each one has a different power, each one fits better depending on the situation.

I have never personally heard anyone say noob/newbie means unimaginative or not-so-good-graphics.

The comparison is about the depreciative potencial the words have. Of course Unimaginative doesn't mean newbie lol.

Clumsy and unimaginative, I could understand since a lack of experience can make one appear clumsy and inexperienced, and without experience it's hard to know the possibilities.

But what has graphics got to do with ones abilities lol.

I think these tags are not used fairly. I've seen many players complaining, deleting accounts and maps due to this tags. Many maps that people spent hours doing. You know, depending on your experience and the program you use to make maps, you can spend hours, and hours, days editing a map to receive a bad tag, okay some maps may not have the best graphics, but some are very well tested, very funny, but then they receive a tag like that, and no one notice the map. Some of the WMDB tags are not very used like the one "sprites" and "open" for example. But the bullying ones, these ones they keep using. They tag maps they don't play. The ones tagging sometimes are not even very good on map making. So many aspects you could tag a map... If it is well tested, if it is well humored, if it has a story written in it, etc. For me it is a complete bullying system.

You know, even ALLMUSIC, ROLLINGSTONE very rarely rate artists with less than 3 stars, because there is no point for rating bad every album you listen. You know, as a reviewer you may prejudice the carreer of musicians. And in WMDB even the ones that make their first maps keep receiving these bad tags. This is not a stimulus for people beginning on map-making.

People who make their first maps start with a very bad incentive. And the trolls will be more active with a bullying system. I've seen many Mole Shopper maps criticising WMDB reviewers, they simply make the map private (if they don't delete them) and ignore the criticism. Many years have passed and this only creates toxicity.

Still, there's no harm in changing it if a lot of people share this misconception.
Yes, that's what I think.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 07:56 AM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline FoxHound

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 07:46 AM »
Newbie is the forum default name. I changed it to "new member".

Ohhh nice! I'll let him know!
'

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 08:36 AM »
I think these tags are not used fairly. I've seen many players complaining, deleting accounts and maps due to this tags. Many maps that people spent hours doing. You know, depending on your experience and the program you use to make maps, you can spend hours, and hours, days editing a map to receive a bad tag, okay some maps may not have the best graphics, but some are very well tested, very funny, but then they receive a tag like that, and no one notice the map. Some of the WMDB tags are not very used like the one "sprites" and "open" for example. But the bullying ones, these ones they keep using. They tag maps they don't play. The ones tagging sometimes are not even very good on map making. So many aspects you could tag a map... If it is well tested, if it is well humored, if it has a story written in it, etc. For me it is a complete bullying system.

You know, even ALLMUSIC, ROLLINGSTONE very rarely rate artists with less than 3 stars, because there is no point for rating bad every album you listen. You know, as a reviewer you may prejudice the carreer of musicians. And in WMDB even the ones that make their first maps keep receiving these bad tags. This is not a stimulus for people beginning on map-making.

People who make their first maps start with a very bad incentive. And the trolls will be more active with a bullying system. I've seen many Mole Shopper maps criticising WMDB reviewers, they simply make the map private (if they don't delete them) and ignore the criticism. Many years have passed and this only creates toxicity.

What are you talking about maps receiving a tag like that? I thought you were talking about a player having "Newbie" next to their name if they are a newcomer to the website?

Can you elaborate please?

I know, I personaly don't care so much about this, but I've seen more than one person complaining about this and I think "newcomer" sounds better.

It makes sense to change to newcomer anyway because the difference in newbie and newcomer is experience. Since you can be new to a website but experienced with using the internet(and other related things like forums and menus etc), newcomer is a better suited title.

Offline FoxHound

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 09:09 AM »
What are you talking about maps receiving a tag like that? I thought you were talking about a player having "Newbie" next to their name if they are a newcomer to the website?

Can you elaborate please?

Well, the same way "newbie" tag may make people avoid registering to a website, the polemic bad WMDB tags are even worse than that, because it is humiliating for someone who spent hours, days, weeks or even months of his life editing a map to receive tags like that. The person may be ancious about the reviewing, expecting at least the tag "None" (that is already a very good tag, believe me) and then someone reviewing the map just label it "Unimaginative". Just a random example: Do you think this map deserves the tag "Unimaginative"? Well, I don't think so. "Ah, but it is not a new scheme", ok most of the maps are not new schemes, even the players that often create original ideas not always create original ideas, sometimes they want to make a Shopper map and there is no problem with that. If you see the description of the purpose of the unimaginative tag, you'll see that it is written for the numerous remix maps (specially those Dogma City Shopper ones). But many maps with the "unimaginative" tag are not this case, in my opinion it is only bullying.

Resuming: sbs and I are against these 3 tags of WMDB. Since he knew I share this opinion, he made a comparison with the "newbie" TUS forum default name, as something that might be considered derogatory by some people, something that scares people off the site. Even though I believe "newbie" is not as bad as those WMDB tags.
'

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 09:27 AM »
Yeah, that has nothing to do with TUS.

It is also the reason why i've never personally uploaded any my maps to wmdb and refuse to use it.

TUS has a much, MUCH better map system in my opinion, and now TUS maps can be loaded with HB, wmdb is pretty much useless in comparison if you ask me.

The trouble with the review system in games like this, it is absolutely never taken seriously enough and reviewed by enough serious players. It is completely fair to give bad reviews to bad products, but also at the same time the ones that are really good don't get enough exposure and praise because how uninterested most people are in praising others in this community.

I know what it's like to spend countless hours making maps.

Edit:

At least on TUS, people can be very nice:

https://www.tus-wa.com/maps/map-11690/
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:30 AM by Komito »

Offline Korydex

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 06:51 PM »
Imo thats a ridiculous excuse for avoiding to register here. Anyway I have another question: why moderators like Komo have only one WA icon above his avatar with so many posts? xD

Online Lupastic

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 11:05 PM »
I want my newbie/noobie title back. :(

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 12:02 AM »
Komo have only one WA icon above his avatar with so many posts? xD

I posted so much the cycle begins again, Boggy B reincarnated!

Offline FoxHound

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 06:06 AM »
It is also the reason why i've never personally uploaded any my maps to wmdb and refuse to use it.

TUS has a much, MUCH better map system in my opinion, and now TUS maps can be loaded with HB, wmdb is pretty much useless in comparison if you ask me.

The trouble with the review system in games like this, it is absolutely never taken seriously enough and reviewed by enough serious players. It is completely fair to give bad reviews to bad products, but also at the same time the ones that are really good don't get enough exposure and praise because how uninterested most people are in praising others in this community.

I know what it's like to spend countless hours making maps.

Edit:

At least on TUS, people can be very nice:

https://www.tus-wa.com/maps/map-11690/

I already seen this map before with all those gifs, but I didn't remember that you are the author. I need to try it one day, good to see a map with so many positive reviews and comments.

About the review system, I like the "Recent good maps" section of WMDB, the best map makers of the game I think are more linked to WMDB than TUS, maybe because the website is older and specialized on maps, but I do think WMDB has an art spirit that TUS doesn't have so much (even though TUS has scheme icons and custom medals). I like the idea of a staff reviewing, I do think the good tags are interesting features of WMDB and map makers indeed are encouraged to make better maps due to the good tags and the "Recent good maps" section, there are also the "featured maps" which are very rare and usually are really good maps, even though some of the maps with the tag are questionable.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 08:35 AM by FoxHound »
'

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 08:00 AM »
Should we take off hero member and full member tittle to ? we all are equals lets just be "members " all. This is ridiculous lol.