Forums
April 20, 2024, 06:16 AM

Author Topic: [module idea] option to zoom or change resolution during the game  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
The idea is a wish I've seen in many other players. Being able to play at your favorite resolution, and at the same time zoom in (or change resolution) when you need it during the game (see better some pixels etc.), would be awesome.

I use the windows magnifying glass (windows key + R), but the problem is that the windows magnifying glass (image below) doesn't work across all the corners of the game screen.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 02:38 PM by Albus »

Offline Carmine

Re: [module idea] option to zoom or change resolution during the game
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 04:25 PM »
StepS made a module for worms 2 and wwp called ReSolution
it lets you zoom just like that, but according to the worms.2d page W:A's chat window was causing issues with its function and so is not supported, im not sure how easy a fix it would be but its definately been tried before.

edit: link
https://worms2d.info/ReSolution
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 04:28 PM by Carmine »

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 04:34 PM »
StepS made a module for worms 2 and wwp called ReSolution
it lets you zoom just like that, but according to the worms.2d page W:A's chat window was causing issues with its function and so is not supported, im not sure how easy a fix it would be but its definately been tried before.

edit: link
https://worms2d.info/ReSolution

Very interesting information. Since it's open source, maybe someone who understands the subject can use some information and do something similar in WA!? I don't understand these things so I may be talking nonsense (since it's two different games with different codes). I'm just guessing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 04:38 PM by Albus »

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 06:24 PM »
Imagine zooming in and out in real time with mouse scroll and hold Home to restore default zoom.
One can only dream!  :D
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 07:28 AM »
afaik there was a mention that WA renders things differently unlike W2 and WWP, which is why ReSolution is not a thing in WA

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 10:08 AM »
I'd consider zooming into a worm or view any bigger (expanding the screen to see pixels) more than the green biggest original resolution to be considered cheating. If the scrolling of res is pre-set to the resolutions in the worm options then I think this wouldn't be so bad.

But being able to zoom in to take care around pixels in games would give the user of the module a much greater advantage than those who don't know about the module, and we shouldn't be encouraging everyone to get modules to play the game on an equal playing field, we should be discouraging modules that give users advantages over others and we should be mastering the original options this game gives us inherently.

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 10:16 AM »
But being able to zoom in to take care around pixels in games would give the user of the module a much greater advantage than those who don't know about the module, and we shouldn't be encouraging everyone to get modules to play the game on an equal playing field, we should be discouraging modules that give users advantages over others and we should be mastering the original options this game gives us inherently.

The module only has to send a message notifying that the person is using it. It's up to the other player to also use or refuse to play with the other person.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 12:30 PM »

The module only has to send a message notifying that the person is using it. It's up to the other player to also use or refuse to play with the other person.

It shouldn't even get to that, it should be banned from league schemes because of the advantage it can give a player to win a game verse those not used it. If both players agree it still shouldn't be allowed because its like allow both players to cheat. That shouldn't make it legal.

All these modules you are advocating for are to help you win games outside of the defined official programming of the game. Therefore it's a cheat.

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 12:35 PM »

It shouldn't even get to that, it should be banned from league schemes because of the advantage it can give a player to win a game verse those not used it. If both players agree it still shouldn't be allowed because its like allow both players to cheat. That shouldn't make it legal.

All these modules you are advocating for are to help you win games outside of the defined official programming of the game. Therefore it's a cheat.

You are you are treating me as a cheater. Cheater is the one who breaks the rules of the game, right? Please tell me which TUS rule I am breaking so you can call me a cheater.

Everyone has the right to suggest game modules and changes to the game. If you think I'm suggesting this because it's going to increase my chances of winning, that's a pretty frivolous conclusion of yours about me. I
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 12:38 PM by Albus »

Offline Memox

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 02:15 PM »

Pretty much this, but with a certain twist I want to mention. I whole heartedly advocate what Albus is saying because I find this very useful - as well as a mean to better understand certain techniques - however... There's a fair chunk of skill in official games involving mine hats and such, and a module would be detrimental in that regard since you're overwhelmingly simplifying the mechanic, that's undeniable. I'm 120% ok with it being implemented for funners and I actually encourage it just like Albus suggested (i.e. with a module akin to /arrows which notifies the players of it being used) BUT not on clanners, cups, leagues, etc. And at this point, we should address the pink elephant in the room. Windows' Magnifying Glass exists and it has been confirmed to be used by professionals too (i.e. Albus and Dario for example, although I bet none of them constantly rely upon it) - and that means that a way to achieve that, already exists to begin with. So it's not a matter of cheating or not anymore. You may disagree with the thing being officialized and popularized, but you can't stop the idea behind it, which is already "implemented" anyway, albeit in a primitive yet 90% of times effective way. So, ironically, not making this module would greatly benefit those who use the Magnifying Glass at the expense of those who don't know about it, yet, making it public would be a fair ground to everyone but at the cost of noobifying the game. Again, funners-wise that's a non-issue, however, it shouldn't even exist in official games... It's a complex topic and no matter how the devs will move about this - even if they choose to not choose - they're still making a bad decision if one thinks about it thoroughly and analytically.
\\\ My websites ///

My Worms Armageddon Review (and other blog posts about gaming)
The Autism-O-Meter

My Worms Videos
YouTube playlist

My (other) Reviews Hub
Steam Curator page

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 02:34 PM »
The definition of cheating does not solely apply to "rules".

Other definitions of the word cheat include 'to defraud, swindle, to act dishonorably and also deceive', which means to hide your true intentions, to pretend you are playing on an even playing field when in fact you have hidden advantages.

So yes Albus, you have literally been cheating whether TUS allow it or not because you deceived your opponents, that is the literal definition of the word "cheat".

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 02:35 PM »
Other definitions of the word cheat include "to defraud, swindle, and deceive", which means to hide your true intentions, to pretend you are playing on an even playing field when in fact you have hidden advantages.

Okay, you can agree or disagree with me with the module's suggestion and find it offers an unfair advantage (I disagree). But I am not a cheater. If you guys think I'm cheating, I won't play leagues anymore, just funners.
PS: if there was a rule expressly forbidding it I wouldn't use it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 02:38 PM by Albus »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 02:37 PM »
Albus, YOU ARE LITERALLY CHEATING BY THE DEFINITION OF THE WORD.

Jesus christ man... It isn't even up for debate, that's what the word means and you have literally done those actions by hiding your advantage from other players! You can not argue this!

We believe you believe it was not malicious and that you were doing something you thought was allowed, though it is literally cheating, nobody is saying you are evil or anything, just own up to the fact you were cheating, and maybe think about your future actions when using modules like this against people who play without that stuff.

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 02:38 PM »
Albus, YOU ARE LITERALLY CHEATING BY THE DEFINITION OF THE WORD.

Jesus christ man... It isn't even up for debate, that's what the word means and you have literally done those actions by hiding your advantage from other players! You can not argue this!

We believe you believe it was not malicious and that you were doing something you thought was allowed, though it is literally cheating, nobody is saying you are evil or anything, just own up to the fact you were cheating, and maybe think about your future actions when using modules like this against people who play without that stuff.

I'll wait for Monkey Island's decision.

Offline Memox

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 03:05 PM »
What about all the times Windows' Magnifying Glass has been used in competitive, official games? Or the team order of the opponent was extracted from a previous replay? Or when a ruler has been used for the shotgun and other throws? Or pen and paper has been used to keep track of what the enemy has used? One may argue a few of those aren't exactly cheating per se, but at the end of the day, none of us are innocent. There's no need to escalate this, nor for finger pointing, especially since this has nothing to do with the OP.
\\\ My websites ///

My Worms Armageddon Review (and other blog posts about gaming)
The Autism-O-Meter

My Worms Videos
YouTube playlist

My (other) Reviews Hub
Steam Curator page