Forums
March 28, 2024, 08:15 PM

Author Topic: [Module Idea] Weapon usage tracker.  (Read 5654 times)

Offline cgar

[Module Idea] Weapon usage tracker.
« on: September 08, 2021, 02:20 PM »
Some might already know of https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/worms-armageddon/display-weapons-on-intermediate-stream-32128
It's a separate app often used by streamers to keep track of weapons used by each team.

It would be really cool to have the functionality for this built in. It is often useful to keep track of what your enemy has used, especially in strategic schemes.
Some manage fine with just their memory, others use notepads. Having the functionality in game would allow everyone to focus more on the game and less on keeping track of a physical or mental list.
Something like having the weapons panel have tabs for each player, such as the ones that show in replays with the colours of the teams. clicking the teams colour would change the weapons panel to a kind of notepad for that team, prefilled at the match start with weapons from the scheme, which you could then click to decrement when you notice that they have used something.

Especially compelling would be the ability to have it do so automatically, subtracting automatically from the totals any time it detects a weapon is used.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 05:58 PM by cgar »

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
Re: [Module Idea] Weapon usage tracker.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 02:37 PM »
I would find this idea sensational. It would make my gaming experience much more enjoyable. I usually take notes of what the enemy uses on paper or smartphone. Having this option integrated into the game would be awesome!

The idea of switching between panels and click to decrement when you notice that they have used something is very good. The other option, which is the game to automatically count, although I'm not against it, I think there are people who might consider that this will make the game "easier".

I fully support the idea, whether the control of what is used by the enemy is done by me manually, or is something automatic.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 02:40 PM »
That is definitely going too far for competitive games.

Seriously guys c'mon, stop trying to make things too easy for everyone, one of the reason this game is so good is because it has a really high learning curve!

There must be a reason they don't include stuff like this in ANY of the games that I know of, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 02:43 PM »
I am ok with it and I kinda the Idea.

But what about what other have said about numbering every worms order? Wouldn't this also be the same? Not being able to remember which worm it is next? Now we have suggestion to make something for us to remember what weapons other team used and have? I am just pointing out this little thing which others have said or may say.

Again It's kinda cool I am down for it as longest you can turn it off.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 02:43 PM »
That is definitely going too far for competitive games.

Seriously guys c'mon, stop trying to make things too easy for everyone, one of the reason this game is so good is because it has a really high learning curve!

You mean the automatic counting? Perhaps yes. I think it can make things easier. But manual counting, I see no problem. Many players already do this. The only difference is that some do it on paper, others use the chat window (which makes difficult to use chat for something else) etc. The idea of cgar would just be to allow us to do this in-game, and remove the need for many to do this outside of the game. That way we can keep 100% of our attention just on the game screen, and we can get more immersed in it.

There must be a reason they don't include stuff like this in ANY of the games that I know of, please correct me if i'm wrong.

I played for quite some time, competitively, a very famous MOBA. There was the option for you to PING to create a reminder when the player used a spell.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 02:56 PM by Albus »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 02:56 PM »
Having to actually put the effort in to write it down, and do it correctly, doing it as fast as possible when players tab through their worms at 100mph like Dario is actually a skill.

Having AI to do this automatically for you is, at least in my opinion, pathetic.

The other, more important problem is, since this guy started making modules at the request of everyone, literally everyone is gonna want this, then that, then the next thing, until we aren't even playing the game manually anymore. Everyone will want their own thing(the thing they can't be bothered doing properly).

It's an unhealthy path you are heading on.

Edit - Worms franchise Albus, not other games outside the franchise. My bad for not being specific enough.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 02:59 PM by Komito »

Offline Korydex

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 03:02 PM »
There was a cheat which showed every teams weapons and it was banned in competitive games of course. Do you want this in funner games? Ionno.

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 03:03 PM »
Having to actually put the effort in to write it down, and do it correctly, doing it as fast as possible when players tab through their worms at 100mph like Dario is actually a skill.

Depending on the method chosen, there is almost no effort involved. I, for example, use a messaging app to keep track of what the opponent used. And I don't even have to type anything. I only need to hold the word for 1 second and it will be marked, indicating that the opponent used a certain utility. In fact, the idea of cgar, in theory, would give me a little more work than what I do at the moment (it would take a few more seconds and more clicks). However I prefer his idea as it would allow me to be more immersed in the game environment.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 03:06 PM by Albus »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 03:08 PM »
I wish modules would have to be approved by official staff or something before even being allowed public.

This is getting ridiculous having a module for every little thing that makes the game challenging because people don't want to put the work in.

Offline cgar

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 03:10 PM »
Should a player feel that its important to self-flagellate with endless tedium to scratch their masochistic urges then they are welcome to do so, in that case they simply neglect to press install on the module.

Other people who want to focus on the actual game instead of Dr Kawashima's Brain Training: WA Edition will very likely be overjoyed with such a module.

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 03:13 PM »
Komito, coincidentally, I'm supporting things you don't like. I'm sorry for encouraging things that for you are bad for the game. But, I place a high value on things that make the gaming experience more enjoyable, as long as the line separating it from cheat is not crossed.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 03:15 PM by Albus »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 03:20 PM »
Should a player feel that its important to self-flagellate with endless tedium to scratch their masochistic urges then they are welcome to do so, in that case they simply neglect to press install on the module.

Other people who want to focus on the actual game instead of Dr Kawashima's Brain Training: WA Edition will very likely be overjoyed with such a module.

F**k off cgar :D :D :D

Your perspective is literally to make the game less challenging because you don't want to put the work in, it doesn't matter if people can choose not to use it, because others will. That is the problem. Everyone is asking for their own personal module for the things they subjectively don't like, and looking at the bigger picture it's degrading the effort and skill required for competitive games.

I don't give a f**k about what people do in funners, though these modules people want to use for fun in turn can and likely will be used by some people in competitive games.

Keeping track of what weapons people have used is literally one of the fundamental skills in the entire franchise, it is extremely selfish to want to degrade that for everyone because a minority 22 years into the game want to make things easier because they are too lazy to put the effort in.

It shouldn't happen in the first place, and I sincerely hope it doesn't happen.

Komito, coincidentally, I'm supporting things you don't like. I'm sorry for encouraging things that for you are bad for the game. But, I place a high value on things that make the gaming experience more enjoyable, as long as the line separating it from cheat is not crossed.

It's a shame these things you personally think are enjoyable, is actually degrading to the skill of this game.

Offline nizikawa

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2021, 03:26 PM »
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 05:23 AM by nizikawa »

Offline cgar

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2021, 03:28 PM »
Perhaps someone should just make wkKomito. A module that asks you to solve a soduku puzzle or other tedious extraneous nonsense before every move within 10 seconds. Fail it then you get the wonderful prize of self-flagellation. With code that monitors your webcam to make sure you do it. And scans your filesystem to make sure there is nothing that allows focusing on having fun.

For everyone else, there's wkWormOrder and wkWeaponTrack to maximize the ratio of fun to tedium.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2021, 03:36 PM »
Komito, i watched two of your cup streams where my friend played. I've noticed that you had trouble keeping track of what weapons were used during the turns, took long time to update the weapon display or even marked some weapons wrong. I'm sure that such module would benefit your streams, since it would remove a huge burden of keeping the track of mundane things.
Are you sure that this module is a bad idea?

The weapons that are marked wrong is because Dr.Abegod designed the app to be used for Intermediate, not 80hp, so we don't have the right icons, we're hoping he can make a version for 80hp.

We manage to get the right stuff used most of the time, it's more of a guideline for viewers. I'm actually glad there are mistakes made sometimes because that means anyone trying to watch the stream and cheat could get the wrong information. :P

@cgar - You are lazy, just admit it.