Forums
April 16, 2024, 11:48 PM

Author Topic: wkWormOrder v. 1.2.0 released  (Read 22952 times)

Offline nizikawa

wkWormOrder v. 1.2.0 released
« on: September 03, 2021, 10:09 AM »
wkWormOrder is a WormKit module that appends worm order numbers to their names and allows randomizing the worm order within the team in multiplayer games.

Features
  • To enable displaying order of your worms, use /order my command in game chat.
  • To enable displaying order of all worms, use /order all command in game chat.
  • During replay playback all worms have their numbers displayed.
  • The displayed worm name format is customizable in .ini with {name} and {number} tags.
  • In multiplayer games the worm order within your team can be scrambled. The order is scrambled every time you add the team to the round roster. To enable this feature set: ScrambleWormOrder = 1
  • Team name bars can have their owner name displayed. The displayed format is customizable with {name} (team name), {owner} (owner nickname), {hp} (sum of HP of all worms within the team) and {wins} (number of team wins in match) tags. To enable this feature set: TeamNameShowOwner = 1 or use /owner command in game chat

Source code: https://github.com/nizikawa-worms/wkWormOrder
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 07:45 PM by nizikawa »

Re: wkWormOrder v. 1.0.0 released
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 10:49 AM »
Is that allowed use in legue games?

Offline nizikawa

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 11:03 AM »
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 05:24 AM by nizikawa »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 11:37 AM »
Is that allowed use in legue games?

It shouldn't be allowed.

This time i'm not even going to say why because it's so obvious.

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 01:01 PM »
Great job! Regarding leagues, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be allowed.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 03:11 PM »
Strategic schemes become a little less skilled now, more reason to avoid strategic schemes now.  :D

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 03:17 PM »
Anyone can memorize 8 worms in a team (does not require skill for that) and usually people play leagues with teams that already know the order. The idea of the module is also to allow people to feel free to have many teams to play the league or even create new ones more freely, as they won't need to memorize all of them over and over again.

Offline Lupastic

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 03:34 PM »
what a way to ruin the game like this.. :/ I hope we won't get to that point one day, where one player uses it, and the other doesn't, but he/she still needs to accept the other using it.. :D same as roping with multiple buttons

this was totally unnecessary

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 03:36 PM »
I hope we won't get to that point one day, where one player uses it, and the other doesn't, but he/she still needs to accept the other using it

Yes. That would be a problem. I will transcribe here what I said in discord. The problem I see with using this module in leagues would be the combination of this module with gibberish worm names, while the opponent doesn't have the module. But, I have a principle that names to confuse the opponent should not be allowed in leagues, just as blank names are prohibited. Knowing the team order of the oponnent is critical in some schemes. I don't think it's fair to use gibberish worm names to confuse the opponent. Plus, there's also the fact that it's bad for streamed events. How commentatores can pronounce names like that?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 03:47 PM by Albus »

Offline Sycotropic

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 12:17 AM »
I think it would be nice if there were an option in W:A to disable any other online players' customizations in your game client locally. It would solve the gibberish worm names problem, as well as being able to hide obnoxious graves or flags. Obviously it takes away from the social/creative aspect of worms a bit, but at this point I feel like team names are kind of just noise for me.

Offline cgar

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2021, 02:18 AM »
It's pretty hilarious complaining about the module. Team order has always been available in the replay file for any would be cheater to exploit. This module just exposes that "cheating" in the open.
So in effect being against wkWormOrder is doing more to defend cheating than fight against it.

Perhaps I should make an open source python module to allow for effortless automatic printouts of team order ;D

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 05:37 AM »
How about create a new module for darts scheme, "wkDartsStart" where manual placements is off, but instead all worms are placed piles on a specific spot of a map where it says "Start".
Just my idea. :)

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2021, 05:58 AM »
brb grabbing popcorn

How about create a new module for darts scheme, "wkDartsStart" where manual placements is off, but instead all worms are placed piles on a specific spot of a map where it says "Start".
Just my idea. :)
you can use wkTerrainSync for that and use a mission
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 08:17 AM by TheMadCharles »

Offline Lupastic

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2021, 10:36 AM »
Yes. That would be a problem. I will transcribe here what I said in discord. The problem I see with using this module in leagues would be the combination of this module with gibberish worm names, while the opponent doesn't have the module. But, I have a principle that names to confuse the opponent should not be allowed in leagues, just as blank names are prohibited. Knowing the team order of the oponnent is critical in some schemes. I don't think it's fair to use gibberish worm names to confuse the opponent. Plus, there's also the fact that it's bad for streamed events. How commentatores can pronounce names like that?

hm okay now I see what you mean Albus :) For that, a solution would be like to forbid certain gibberish worm names when playing league games, and games that are being broadcast. Public and funner matches are ok, I have seen several players having teams, in which their worm names were completely blank. Not even a single letter was written in it, so sometimes it was pretty hard for me to keep track with them :D The only way I could predict, is by memorizing his worm placements around the map. But it could be a nice rule that only names written with latin letters are allowed + readable characters that make sense? Instead of this worm-order tracking bullshit

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2021, 10:47 AM »
It's pretty hilarious complaining about the module. Team order has always been available in the replay file for any would be cheater to exploit. This module just exposes that "cheating" in the open.
So in effect being against wkWormOrder is doing more to defend cheating than fight against it.

Nobody in this thread said it was cheating. Though, it is obvious why it could be considered cheating.

Just because some things are possible does not mean people should not complain about those and other related things.

While I am aware you can extract information from a replay file, is it possible to do it during an actual game, or only after? If this is possible during a game, this is something I did not know about, and there should be measures taken to prevent this as well. Of course, it should not be allowed either.

This is not publicly available knowledge as far as I am aware, or is it? In a way we should thank you for bringing this to our attention for those of us who were not already aware.

You clearly have superior knowledge and experience about replay files, so it is a good thing you are not playing league games and abusing that. However that does not stop this module from degrading an aspect of skill and experience in strategic schemes, quite an important one actually in Intermediate.

If I knew people were using this in CWT - I would refuse to stream it.

This actually gives me an idea to prevent cheating/abuse.

Quite frankly, the short conversation in this thread before has me a little concerned about how easy it is for skilled computer programmers to create and use their own modules to get an advantage in this game. Modules they make for private use only.

I believe there are ways to inspect replay files and detect if any extra module was loaded/used, am I wrong? Though the concern is, like avoiding real life police undetected, most replays are not checked on TUS if nobody raises an issue, or voices some concern about suspicious gameplay.

Would it be possible to develop some sort of code based algorithm which could scan games automatically as they are reported and compare them with a database of 'legal modules'. If anything new or illegal pops up, it would automatically send a message to a moderator or MonkeyIsland and it could be inspected further or deleted.