Forums
March 28, 2024, 12:26 PM

Author Topic: [Module Idea] Weapon usage tracker.  (Read 5653 times)

Offline cgar

Re: [Module Idea] Weapon usage tracker.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2021, 05:02 AM »
Blindfold chess is a perfect analogy for this nonsense! :D
If you can do it with a pen and paper then it is extremely silly to deny the exact same functionality from being built in.
Its like Komo is the living embodiment of the over the top tedium guy from that old xkcd meme. http://xkcd.com/378/

Offline Kradie

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2021, 07:50 AM »
Did someone mention politics and voting?  8)

After months of peace someone had to use politics to compare something to a Worms game.

*cracks fingers*

As a conservative I support changes that are of benefit for the community :)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 07:52 AM by Kradie »
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2021, 08:09 AM »
Writing down used weapons and utilities on a piece of paper is bad for the environment. Think about how much paper was wasted during those 22 years!

Joking aside, I'd really like to use this module, so that I will be finally able to chat with a team mate in 2v2 games.

Hahah nice, I'd rather use Google Keep as I use it for many other purposes, you can make one of those checklists that is much more intuitive. In whatsapp you can risk missclick and lose all your markings.

Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline nizikawa

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2021, 09:54 AM »
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 05:22 AM by nizikawa »

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2021, 10:03 AM »
I don't understand why you need so much acceptance to implement features that we already abuse but with help of external tools, same applies to opponent worm orders, there's many methods to do so, don't worry about it.  ;D

My thoughts are that those who are against it are afraid that they could no longer rely on the possibility of human error from their opponents (when they forget to write or lack of attention of weapons used) to get some sort of advantage over them.
Then there's those who never write anything (me included), this module can place us in the same level, increase the fun and lower effort.

If you go and say this decreases the skill cap and became unfair for those who have dedicated themselves a little more to the game: what skills are we arguing about? The skills of holding a pen and using it? LOL.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 10:31 AM by donnie »

→ The best of Kaleu ←

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2021, 10:44 AM »
My thoughts are that those who are against it are afraid that they could no longer rely on the possibility of human error from their opponents (when they forget to write or lack of attention of weapons used) to get some sort of advantage over them.

I lost count of the times I lost a game because I didn't write down what the opponent used. I find it very boring and that's why I only do this in most important games. I wanted to be able to focus only on the game screen and increase my immersion in the game, without having to use external resources.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 10:46 AM by Albus »

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2021, 11:08 AM »
I'd rather use Google Keep as I use it for many other purposes, you can make one of those checklists that is much more intuitive. In whatsapp you can risk missclick and lose all your markings.

Another idea that we can use while people create obstacles:

This is the app streamers use to keep track of weapons used by each team. You can download it at https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/worms-armageddon/display-weapons-on-intermediate-stream-32128

You download a software to make this window stay "always on top" and click on the weapon icon when the oponnent uses it.

The downside is that it pollutes the game's interface a bit.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 11:14 AM by Albus »

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2021, 11:18 AM »
Yeah, forgot to mention my reasons are the same! I don't do it because it's already extremely boring to just to think that I have to do it outside the game, and it feels even more "extreme" when I remember that I have to sacrifice immersion, take hands off of my keyboard, my mouse, take my eyes off the monitor which can lead me to even more unforgivable mistakes than not writing down the weapons (miss which worm played, miss more weapons used).

These modules would prevent all of that and increase  the fun, making us to focus totally on the game screen potentiating what really matters (intelligence, creativity, game sense and effectiveness), we would enjoy an objective and less mechanical gameplay.

I will finish by saying that I want to win on my merits, my smart strategy etc and not because I mishandled the use of ropes and my opponent forgot to write it down or missed it while writing another weapon I just used. If I mishandled, I should face all the consequences and vice versa.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 11:24 AM by donnie »

→ The best of Kaleu ←

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2021, 11:32 AM »
I will finish by saying that I want to win on my merits, my smart strategy etc and not because I mishandled the use of ropes and my opponent forgot to write it down or missed it while writing another weapon I just used. If I mishandled, I should face all the consequences and vice versa.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2021, 11:40 AM »
Memorization has nothing to do with the tactical aspects of the gameplay. It is just memorization skills.

If this quote is aimed at WA, you are wrong:

Memorization means to commit to memory, to learn by heart.

Most aspects of this game is using your memory, it's the biggest fundamental skill of this entire franchise.

You must learn and memorize all the weapons, how to use everything, the terrains and soil types.

Your body and mind will memorize how to rope.

You must learn worm order, and your opponents worms.

You must pay attention and memorize what your opponent does, and based on their skillsets and abilities attempt to predict their future plans.

Almost everything about this game involves memory skills. Which is exactly why this is so important.

WA literally uses your memory for everything whether people realize it or not, it's a skill that cannot(and/or should not) be avoided, and was built that way.

I don't think this should be a scheme option, it is really something that should already be coded in the game. I know some schemes like Team17 work differently than Intermediate, but it is good to know at least which weapons the enemy used.

Why don't you make your own game or play another one then instead of compromising one that has already existed fine for over 20 years?

I already suggested that the game should also inform the mine fuse, the weapon powers, the scheme rules and any other scheme (v3.8 or not) feature while in game. This way we wouldn't need to remind players about mines and they could check any differences while in game.

In leagues, people should be reading the rules and actually studying stuff before even playing. Laziness should not be rewarded or catered towards.

If you are talking about funners, sure, the method Deadcode mentioned would help players who haven't played before, and i'd be ok with that as long as it doesn't affect competitive games.

EDIT: by the way, memorization is often avoided in education when possible, because in the past (in the present this still happens, but a bit less) memorization of dates, names, formulas and many other stuff used to appear in big exams and after the exam people usually forgot all that stuff, many didn't even know how to explain importants things of the subjects, they only trained their memory and passed (or not).

Education is literally memory, both mentally and physically. Education literally means the process of acquiring knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life. Everything about this is using memory.

Edit:

I lost count of the times I lost a game because I didn't write down what the opponent used. I find it very boring and that's why I only do this in most important games. I wanted to be able to focus only on the game screen and increase my immersion in the game, without having to use external resources.

So, because something is subjectively boring and overly challenging to some people, and because it causes them to lose some games, you want to make that easier? It's part of the game, it was designed that way!

Do you think everybody should have their own personal module which makes the thing they don't like easier?

Do you think it's better for the game that every little minority can dramatically change fundamental aspects of the game, regardless how others feel about it?

Where does this end? What is the limit?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 11:48 AM by Komito »

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2021, 11:51 AM »
Komito, why not leave it up to the players?

If any opponent of mine, from any league, lets me use a module like that, what's the problem? It's his choice.

Do you really want to win knowing you only won because your opponent doesn't like or forgot to write down what you used? If I know that my opponent can counter my misuse of utilities (the module will show this information), it will definitely be a much more difficult and challenging game for me. I'd rather win a game this way than win because someone forgot or finds it boring to take notes with pen and paper etc.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2021, 11:56 AM »
Komito, why not leave it up to the players?

If any opponent of mine, from any league, lets me use a module like that, what's the problem? It's his choice.

If we let every individual person or minority make decisions, this game would be absolutely kaotic, I cannot even begin to imagine how bad it would be, or how bad it could become.

I actually think these decisions should be made by Team17 if i'm honest.

Do you really want to win knowing you only won because your opponent doesn't like or forgot to write down what you used? If I know that my opponent can counter my misuse of utilities (the module will show this information), it will definitely be a much more difficult and challenging game for me. I'd rather win a game this way than win because someone forgot or finds it boring to take notes with pen and paper etc.

I don't want them to fail any more than I don't want to fail, however failure is part of the learning process, we learn and adapt through our mistakes it is what makes us better if we care enough. You don't judge a man by how hard he falls, it's how well he picks himself back up.

I don't respect people who want the easy path for selfish reasons, that's just me.

If everyone liked the same thing, life would be boring. You're fighting your side, i'm fighting mine.

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2021, 12:02 PM »
I don't want them to fail any more than I don't want to fail, however failure is part of the learning process, we learn and adapt through our mistakes it is what makes us better if we care enough. You don't judge a man by how hard he falls, it's how well he picks himself back up.

It's not about failing. There is no difficulty in taking notes on what opponent uses. It doesn't require skill for that, just a pen and a paper, software, app etc. Here we show several ways to track enemy utility usage and enemy team order.

The point is that these are methods that take our immersion out of the game, and if the module brought that information, the game would be more fun and challenging, and we could just focus on the game itself.

Anyway, I would like to hear people's opinion on this topic: https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/worms-ARMAgeddon/private-module-33565/msg281013/?topicseen#new

If figuring out the order of the enemy team and tracking what the opponent used is not difficult, then I assume that a private module for this cannot be considered cheating, correct? So can these people make modules like this? If not, who's going to analyze game by game to see if anyone used a private module?

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2021, 12:05 PM »
If there is absolutely no difficulty, why do you need a module?

Pffffft! :D

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2021, 12:06 PM »
If there is absolutely no difficulty, why do you need a module?

Pffffft! :D

Because, like I said multiple times, it's boring and takes my immersion out of the game.