Forums
April 25, 2024, 10:58 AM

Author Topic: Newbies road to Pro Wormer! Get taught by the pros!  (Read 9100 times)

Offline Free

Newbies road to Pro Wormer! Get taught by the pros!
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:00 AM »
Someone suggested this idea on other thread and this is exactly the kind of "personal" side I want to bring to the table.

We take a handful of noobs who are motivated and willing to invest time into learning the game and then we follow their journey via streams, how he learns, league performance and even personal youtube videos. If MI agrees to the newbie league without us having to make an outside league, it would be even more perfect.

This sound like a good idea to you guys? I really like this idea and would be motivated to help those newbies out as much as I can. Teacher can learn a lot himself also by teaching a newbie.

Once we agree on the idea and the approach, we should spam the internets with the upcoming awesome promotion video and stream channel and get a line of newbies under our wings. Everyone could have their own apprentices and all the good stuff.

Is there anyone here already who feels he's a newbie and willing to go pro and agree that we could track and record his/her journey to the top. It makes an example to the bigger audience that everyone can do it, even if there are people who have been playing this game for years and years. Once you learn the weapon skills and roping, it's all about tactics, creativity and your mental strenght.

You can either send a PM to me if you feel shy about it or got some personal questions, otherwise just let yourself be heard on this thread.

There will be bigger spam once we get the vision together but we can already get started on it now. Give a shoutout if you want to go PRO and want guidance.

I did this with my little brother Neptune and he learned amazingly fast.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:20 PM by darKz »

Offline darKz

Re: Newbies road to Pro Wormer! Get taught by the pros!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:20 PM »
Edited thread title, teached is wrong on so many levels. :D

Idea is good btw, I just don't know if there's enough people interested in getting taught by someone else. I enjoyed getting better by my own power. :)
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 12:33 PM »
1. Never call it noob league or something like that!! To sign on it you have to realize that you are a damn noob that sucking compare to others, horrible politic
Something like Amateur League, or League B is exactly what should work imo
2. Newbie cant learn much by playing with another newbie, so they need teacher -> this means we need to make ppl interest in teaching others -> means we can make newbies and skillful people able to select "Trainer" and so, trainers will have own stats, and as much succesfully his pupil play as much pts he gain xD
I really would like to grab some newbie and teach him playing meanwhile watching his progress like I did with asbest some years ago

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 12:48 PM »
I'm not getting the main idea behind this. Why they need a separate league? They can participate in the main league but play with each other. Why a whole new league for them? Also have you considered its activity?
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Free

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:31 PM »
Haha yeah we would never call it a newbie league, beginner league or summing like that.

The main idea:

I put myself in beginners shoes, get motivated to go pro but realize its gonna take years and years to even reach to the playoffs, it really wouldn't motivate me to compete seriously because of the level of competition is too high.

If the level of competition is even, it would motivate me to play and learn more and make it easier for me to gain glory. If I'm a newbie looking for tus and Random is looking for TUS, most likely I wouldn't want to give him free points (unless I pick hysteria)

I've no idea about the activity and the beginner league isn't a thing of the today (imo) because we need a lot more audience and interest from newer players to consider starting the league. We can't know about the activity unless we try it out.

If your not okay with it, we can try it as separate league, with more simplistic points system.

My main picture is the eSport scene and in order to reach there we need to reach more and more newer players each day and make it easier for them to start competing so one day they could see themselves with the "big boys"

About teaching the new players, I, for one am very interested of teaching newer players who seem motivated and ready to put in the time and I'm sure there's plenty of others like this also. You could even give a shout-out if you'd be ready to take someone as your apprentice.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 01:52 PM »
Creating a new league is a matter of minutes for me. How does this thing work? What if Random00 plays a game and want to report it in the amateur league? system prevents him because of his stats? How do I draw the line for newbies and others? (also it is very hard to beat Random00 in Hysteria)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Peja

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 01:56 PM »
dunno i was actually motivated because i played guys like random and found out they dont look down you even they are so much better. i remember uber/zippo/ crash explained my simple basics when playing them. ray always motivated me because he told me when he recognized some progress in my play.  i guess its important not to seperate them from the better players, because u really learn from the diversity of players around.a private teacher is really great and helpful but nothing can replace the field experience vs different well skilled opponents. if you watch the played games u will find out beginners always find other beginners to play, no need for a seperate league imo.

but great effort free keep it up.

Offline Free

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 02:37 PM »
I see ur point Peja, but ur one of the exceptions to the rule. Motivated by nature. But in reality most ain't.

I haven't got a idea (yet) how we would know who's beginner and who's not so that creates a problem. Someone could just make a new account and win all and take the fun away from real beginners who want to a even field of competition.

Let's keep discussing though, maybe we can come up with something.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 09:53 PM »
I can teach you how to notch, mod your keyboard, practice fingerroll, 2hand taps, twitching and differences in arrowkey behavior.

Taking applications now!*

*25 Euro each session, no success guaranteed

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 10:02 PM »
Newbie league is a great idea, but if we grouped them all into one league, how would chelsea find opponents for singles

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 10:50 PM »
I can teach you how to notch, mod your keyboard, practice fingerroll, 2hand taps, twitching and differences in arrowkey behavior.

Taking applications now!*

*25 Euro each session, no success guaranteed

Lol, and i'll be taking a 5 Euro fee for my copyrighted 2hand taps :P

Offline OrangE

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 12:57 PM »
the idea of a minor league was mine, originally. and free already explained very well what we both think about this.

i think that we should get prepared for a ranked system, having 2 separate leagues. we could set a specific target, for example if someone ends a season with xxx overall points, the next season will climb up to the main league. or just every player that reaches playoffs can choose if playing again the minor league or if going up to the major.

dunno, these are just some raw ideas, help me developing something intelligent :D

Offline OrangE

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 12:58 PM »
anyway this is a long term project. it would be stupid to have a minor league now. we have to reach a good number of new incomers first of all.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 01:18 PM »
Well let me know when it is OK to have one then.

Offline ANO

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 01:54 PM »
Newbie league is a great idea, but if we grouped them all into one league, how would chelsea find opponents for singles

auhauhuhUAHUHUHUAHUHA

Great Walrusssssssssssssss !!!