Forums
April 18, 2024, 06:42 PM

Author Topic: Newbies road to Pro Wormer! Get taught by the pros!  (Read 9078 times)

Offline Bonhert

Re: Newbies road to Pro Wormer! Get taught by the pros!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Newbie league is a great idea, but if we grouped them all into one league, how would chelsea find opponents for singles

auhauhuhUAHUHUHUAHUHA

Great Walrusssssssssssssss !!!

Chelsea would sign up in the new league for sure. Fame is fame, simple  ;).

Sure we could rope slower but it's not sexy!

Offline Ray

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 07:10 PM »
I like your idea Free, I have always been motivated about teaching (I teach drummers, teach math and programming, worms would be another great thing) and this idea makes sense in my head, I also had similar ideas, just never really invested any time into it.

If you want to talk about it, share some thoughts, catch me in a PM!

Offline Crazy

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 09:51 PM »
I was writing a longer answer to this thread, but it got deleted and maybe it was for the better. I must say in all honesty that I think this is an utterly ridiculous idea. I think that you Free, should use your enthusiasm and creativity on something outside of this game.

Firstly, I don't understand your use of the word Pro. What is and who are the "Pro" players of WA? Are you a pro? It's a wording I don't think belong to this game or community. Secondly, why would anyone invest their time in watching how newbies learn how to play this game at all? It's beyond my imagination, and I can't believe someone would use their sparetime to watch how newbies learn the way to play an odd game through streams, games, youtube channels and what not. I think you're living in a bubble Free, and you have to get out of it.

You're talking about this big audience, awesome promotion videos, streaming channels and what not, but I'll say it straight out because you need to hear it: nobody would give a big f@#! about it. I can give you credit for your good intentions and belief, but you really have to get your head out of your arsehole Free. This is a horrible idea.

Why do we play computer games? Besides having a bit of fun, it's about exploring the game, expanding your knowledge of the game, and creating relationship with people from all over the world. This is something that you have to do on your own. You shouldn't be taught by others on how to do it, it just doesn't make any sence to me. It's the whole fun of playing the game.

Offline Free

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 10:07 PM »
Hahah, that was harsh xD

Offline reN`s

• I am ren just ren the ren instantly ren

• Chile Chile
  • ICB ICB clan
  • rM rM community

• About it what do u want? Its just a game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 10:43 PM »
Newbie league is a great idea, but if we grouped them all into one league, how would chelsea find opponents for singles

xDDDDDDDDDD lfmao... I am Newbie now, who wants to teach me?

Offline ANO

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 10:55 PM »
you all need psychologists.

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 11:05 PM »
Crazy, I totally agree with you. Before your post, I was going to reply with only "lol" to not be too offensive but I thought it would be too offensive anyways. Free is doing his best and I totally respect that but I don't see any point in doing it.
The whole idea would be nice but there is something missing first: people who would like to be "pro".
The only way to make this game attractive is to bring money or to do a major update (but let's face it, we all be 40 when WA 4.0 will be release (and even wa 4.0 might not attract so many new persons, nothing against dc and cybershadow but it's soo much work and i can't possibly imagine them having the time and for free..).
And bringing money ? We don't speak about $10 or $20 but big numbers here and well so many people tried it never happened for good. Make a league where you have to pay ? Only 15 people will play it.
Best way to promote this game is being polite, helping noob, not booting them without an explanation and pointing them to TuS and other woms websites.

Offline avirex

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 12:33 AM »
when i frst started playing w2... i had pros help me, teach me to shadow, spike, etc...

i can only imagine others had the same experience when starting out??

it seems now people are not interested much in helping noobs, not even leading them in the right direction, like TUS for example... nevermind teaching them...

if free and ray find the time to help a newb out, then thats great.. i myself ALWAYS give newbs a direct link to tus, and explain to them its a league game.. i try not to boot them without that...

crazy, i dont think the "pros teaching the newbs" would be a 6 months course until the newb  is competing with the best, lol.. would just be a half hour warmer, teaching him moves, and taps, etc...

not rly sure why u were so harsh, theres nothing wrong with what free is doing... i think its great.

Offline Ray

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 02:44 AM »
I hate to say this, but I agree with avirex. :D :-*

Crazy, I think Free might have gone a little too far with the idea (streaming, separate league and whatnot) but these were just random ideas. The main point is what avirex said: when he started out, there were people teaching him the moves, same with me! There were guys who introduced me to schemes, to roping moves, tricks, and without them, I probably never would have learned all this and never would have become the ultimate best worms player ever in the history. Or somewhere close to that. ;D

Okay, obviously that's a joke. Anyway! What I see is that nowadays, there are a lot less people who are learning the ways to play like we did, and that's not because they are not willing, in my opinion, it is because the gap between new players and older players became a lot bigger and because neither are there "teachers" nor is there a really good, introductory, explanatory resource on the web to learn from.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 04:38 AM »
Well yeah, avi and Ray do have point, I am pretty sure it was eliteboyz(TheSheriFF) who taught me my 1st moves, and even he was just a kid back then, how the hell is a kid more polite than adults of today lol...

But it isn't just WA's fault, it's the general attitude of people playing online, look at comments in YouTube videos, people are growing up recognizing this as the normal thing to do these days, being online was better when "the popular people" of Facebook/reality stuff etc thought anyone who used the internet was a geek...

WA was simpler in 1999 lol, less choice of schemes/maps, with more choice comes more fuss I guess...

But obviously Free went too far with the idea, to be honest, I think this game would lose it's charm if we ended up with a million players anyway...

Offline Ray

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 10:55 AM »
Yea, this is all true, that's why we need a gathering like this sort even more! :)

Offline Fcrate

• Egypt Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 04:12 PM »
Ok who's ready to teach me how to rope? :D
I met some French guy ( don't remember the name tbh ) was playing trick race, and he invested good 15 minutes in trying to teach me, there are good guys out there ^^
The initiative to help newbies is good, I myself always show newbies the way around my game ( Medal of Honor ), as I'm an old expert at it, I hate to see anyone struggling with the basics, and I eventually try to help him/her out.
So keep it up :)
Maybe you can change this from a league for newbies to a competition between elites? for example: we get 8 teachers, and 8 students, a random draw and every Master gets a Padawan.
After a month of training, a little league could be made for the newbies, and the winner's master is granted the title: Jedi Master. lol
Ok that was a bit Geeky, lets just give him an honorary title :)

Offline Ray

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Indeed, that was really geeky. :D But yea, like that idea too. I think for now, we can arrange some games through IM, or here on the site, on the forums, we could meet in #AG and play some games.

I'll have a talk with Free and see if we come up with anything useful.

Offline OrangE

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 05:03 AM »
always at disposition for tips about roping, if you catch me in AG.

Offline AlTarf

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:14 PM by AlTarf »