Forums
March 29, 2024, 01:46 PM

Author Topic: [virtually solved] Programming language used for worms (2 and/or armageddon)  (Read 2307 times)

Offline aik

Hoihoi!

Can any one tell me, which programming language was used to implement the core components of the game?

…always thought it would be "BlitzBasic", which was used for worms1-dc - it got stuck in my head somehow for worms2+, too - but might be different one ^^
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:43 PM by aik »
<dream>
One day CyberShadow will push worms source code to github by accident…
</dream>

Offline Thewolensheep

• The MEGA retard.

• United States United States
  • A f@$!%$! loser.
    • View Profile
Re: Programming language used for worms (2 and/or armageddon)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 03:03 AM »
C++ i assume.
Creates soundbanks and other s!@t.

Offline aik

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 08:00 PM »
C++ i assume.

Thx for reply - after realizing, worms2+ probably weren't made with BlitzBasic, I thought that, too.

Any1 knows for sure (and willing/allowed/… to tell)? Maybe even CyberShadow or Deadcode?

…also I'd love to know any more info on worms-physics-model…
Is there any open info beyond http://worms2d.info/User:Etho/Physics_Engine ? Especially anything on roping?
…maybe I should make a new topic for this ^^

EDIT: Yey 100th post - full member with this post =)
<dream>
</dream>

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 03:24 PM »
Most likely C/C++ for Worms 2 / W:A.

I follow CyberShadow on GitHub and found his ArmageddonEngine library that "was initially intended to be the open-source part of an ambitious D rewrite of the 1999 video game "Worms Armageddon". And you know what? The D language is inspired by C/C++ for the most part!

As for the scripting language that might have been used for gameplay programming,  for some reason I'm thinking about Lua language.

Offline aik

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 03:42 PM »
Most likely C/C++ for Worms 2 / W:A.

I follow CyberShadow on GitHub and found his ArmageddonEngine library that "was initially intended to be the open-source part of an ambitious D rewrite of the 1999 video game "Worms Armageddon". And you know what? The D language is inspired by C/C++ for the most part!

As for the scripting language that might have been used for gameplay programming,  for some reason I'm thinking about Lua language.

Ye - that's what I thought (and did for the "following on GitHub"-part) =)

I'll mark Thread as "solved", because ye C++ is most likely the answer.
It'd still be nice to know for absolute sure, so feel free to answer CS and DC (;

<dream>
</dream>

Offline Plutonic

I am fairly certain it was C or C++. I don't think there was any scripting language used, it was all just done using C.

Offline Mega`Adnan

IMO, Someone must re-write W:A in modern languages like Python or Java, so maybe we can implement new stuffs in it. (Like making PX compatible in future versions, resuming dropped game by replays "Dropped replay must not show the weapon panel", feature of "within-game" downloading soundbanks and flags etc.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 04:23 PM by Mega`Adnan »

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline ArtecTheFox

IMO, Someone must re-write W:A in modern languages like Python or Java, so maybe we can implement new stuffs in it.

Didn't you mean JavaScript by chance?

Offline WTF-8

Someone must re-write W:A in modern languages
to make it lag even on modern computers?
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline Mega`Adnan

Someone must re-write W:A in modern languages
to make it lag even on modern computers?

You sir, keep crying about lag issues. Like your heavy 3D games work super smooth in your PC.... and PC's with better GPU won't get cheaper.....
I said, "add new features", so it may bring activity back. It may take long to figure out and implement new features in W:A written in old languages.

I mean by modern languages now-a-days, but yeah, this may work too.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 08:40 AM by Mega`Adnan »

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline Xrayez

I mean by modern languages now-a-days, but yeah, this may work too.

JavaScript is suitable for HTML5 web-browser games. Many game engines support exporting a game for different platforms though. It's possible to transpile code to JavaScript or compile it to web binaries that can be executed by modern browsers via WebAssembly, coupled with JavaScript.

Offline Plutonic

How is modern C++ not a modern language? And how does using a higher level or interpretted language make new features more likely to be implemented?

Offline Xrayez

How is modern C++ not a modern language? And how does using a higher level or interpretted language make new features more likely to be implemented?

Someone should consider rewriting W:A in Rust  :D  :-[