Forums
March 28, 2024, 09:13 AM

Poll

Will Worms Armageddon still be active online in 20 years time?

Yes, online activity will still remain active.
18 (60%)
Absolutely not.
12 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closes: January 24, 2039, 03:17 PM

Author Topic: 20 years from now, will Worms Armageddon still exist online?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Kradie

Worms Armageddon has remained relevant for 20 years thanks to the community. Will this activity trend continue and remain strong for another 20 more years? Or will it decline due to lack of interest among players, incompatible hardware, and software?

Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline TheWalrus

Re: 20 years from now, will Worms Armageddon still exist online?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 07:18 PM »
People will probably play now and then but no active user base in 20 years.  Let’s face it WA is an amazing game, we all love it, but it isn’t an all time classic in the eyes of the public.  Activity has been nice through the years, but it is easy to see where it is going.  It could change if T17 suddenly becomes a good developer and can crank out a hit worms game.  That would bring players back. 

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 07:56 PM »
It could change if T17 suddenly becomes a good developer and can crank out a hit worms game.  That would bring players back.
I think we all now how much of a flop WMD is/was

Offline skunk3

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:53 AM »
I don't think that WMD was a flop. It sold well and has a decent amount of players, but unfortunately the player base is split between many platforms. I think that Team17 can definitely make another hit Worms title... WMD is a good game but needs more polish and refinement to be excellent. If Team17 can make a new Worms game with true and full cross platform compatibility and also listen to the community to prevent making boneheaded decisions in terms of gameplay options/elements, it would be a hit. The biggest mistake Team17 made in regards to WMD is not asking for input from the community and running a closed beta. I've offered to do this for them multiple times. There are certain things about WMD that I don't like but I think the single biggest flaw is the divided player base. Worms simply isn't a franchise that can thrive like that. People will see a lack of activity and get bored and not want to play it, but if everyone was all together I think people would be surprised as to how many people are into Worms, and more players = more players sticking around and being active, as well as attracting even more and more people.

As far as whether or not W:A will have a player base in 20 years... I doubt it. I doubt servers will even be up in 20 years. I'm amazed it's still up and going, to be honest. I barely play the game anymore (maybe once a week for 2 hours or so) and even with the 3.8 update I don't see that as drumming up much activity. Maybe a little at first but eventually it's going to dwindle again.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Probably not, then again I plan to stick around until I am dead even if I am not actively playing.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 06:15 PM »
As far as whether or not W:A will have a player base in 20 years... I doubt it. I doubt servers will even be up in 20 years. I'm amazed it's still up and going, to be honest. I barely play the game anymore (maybe once a week for 2 hours or so) and even with the 3.8 update I don't see that as drumming up much activity. Maybe a little at first but eventually it's going to dwindle again.

Nothing at the moment is dwindling. Worms Armageddon is as active as it was back in 2005, this is if you exclude the league. So nothing is dwindling, perhaps old school players that you wish to hang out with, but nothing else. Update 3.8, will help WA to stay relevant in modern times. It is very significant of a game like WA to get such massive update. We should be proud and glad to have people working their asses off that still provide freshness to our beloved game. Sure, 3.8 will likely not save WA for 20 years down the road, but here's the silver lining; both DC & CS have expressed the motivation to provide incremental update after the release of 3.8, this alone will help the game stand on its feet with the help of its awesome self-sustained community, until the next big update arrives, such as 4.0.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 09:48 PM »
both DC & CS have expressed the motivation to provide incremental update after the release of 3.8

Now it seems you're just saying things to say them. CS told us long time ago he's basically not even working on a game anymore. And few other respected members confirmed it few times within last year.

Don't get your hopes too high up about soon releases after 3.8, and if you do, try not to spread it around community if you're not sure :)

Offline Kradie

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 10:42 PM »
both DC & CS have expressed the motivation to provide incremental update after the release of 3.8

Now it seems you're just saying things to say them. CS told us long time ago he's basically not even working on a game anymore. And few other respected members confirmed it few times within last year.

Don't get your hopes too high up about soon releases after 3.8, and if you do, try not to spread it around community if you're not sure :)
I could had easily left out CyberShadow's name in my post, but I didn't. I know that DeadCode had said he would love to do a string of small updates after the release of 3.8. So I only naturally assumed that CS ''could'' be involved in some form of contact and collaboration on that.

I never said that my claims of update 3.8 were legit, it was pure speculation on my behalf, and it made sense to me. If anyone were effected by my initial calculations & reasoning behind a potential release date of 3.8, then blame not the developers. This is a delicate subject, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Rumors and speculation are normal, and part of the internet. It is important for people to remember to manage their own beliefs and expectations. Otherwise, people will be disappointed. In a hypothetical scenario if I was right, this wouldn't had been an issue, and no one would had learned anything.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 12:58 PM »

Nothing at the moment is dwindling. Worms Armageddon is as active as it was back in 2005, this is if you exclude the league. So nothing is dwindling, perhaps old school players that you wish to hang out with, but nothing else. Update 3.8, will help WA to stay relevant in modern times. It is very significant of a game like WA to get such massive update. We should be proud and glad to have people working their asses off that still provide freshness to our beloved game. Sure, 3.8 will likely not save WA for 20 years down the road, but here's the silver lining; both DC & CS have expressed the motivation to provide incremental update after the release of 3.8, this alone will help the game stand on its feet with the help of its awesome self-sustained community, until the next big update arrives, such as 4.0.

I am massively appreciative of CS and DC for their hard work. That said, I doubt W:A is as active as it was back in '05. Every time I get on WormNET it's nearly dead and the people who are there are just random noobs. I've tried getting on at various times of day and if you take away the idlers and snoopers there aren't many people on, ever. (Unless I somehow miss when everyone is online, which could be the case.)

I don't personally keep track of traffic stats or anything but from my personal observations it appears to me that W:A is continuing the slow decline that it has been on for years now, and I personally couldn't care less about new, random Russian noobs playing. This will always be my favorite game, but what made W:A awesome was the player base... and 99% of the coolest people to play the game no longer play, so meh. I pop on every once in a while to play some RR and various other schemes but I don't feel the urge to compulsively play W:A like I used to primarily because the player base sucks now in various ways.

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 12:18 AM »
Now it seems you're just saying things to say them. CS told us long time ago he's basically not even working on a game anymore.
but
It is really demotivating to implement a feature or even bugfix, then see it waste away for years in a row in secret alpha builds that only a few people see.

We are in agreement, though, that we need to get back to releasing updates frequently. Hopefully this can become reality instead of another "when it's done" deadlock :)
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 05:31 PM »
I don't see this game being alive in 20 years, even if anyone still wanted to play in 20 years I doubt anyone will even have old machines that still run this game as backwards compatibility in 20 years with the future of computing seems highly unlikely.

I reckon quantum computers will be a thing 10-20 years from now, and even if not, technology in general will be miles ahead, but yeah just like new TVs don't support old consoles without adapters, in 20 years adapters might not even work who knows. Could be like that South Park episode ''Go God God'' with the Wii, but instead trying to run games from 1999 like WA in 2039... Two thousand and thirty-f@#!ing-nine! f@#! me i'm gonna be a fossil by that time...

Honestly, don't worry about it, don't think about it, just enjoy the things you do while they last, anything in life can be taken from you without a moments notice for various reasons.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 09:25 PM »
20 years from now, will Worms Armageddon still exist online?
it will, but not in the same way we are used to

Offline Wormdawg

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 06:45 PM »
I just scratched the dust off my old backup to play again :D So i imagine we will do the same in 20 years too.