Forums
April 23, 2024, 06:53 PM

Author Topic: Allow people to host their own leagues the same as tournaments and cups  (Read 4043 times)

Offline spleen17

I mentioned this briefly in the other thread, but I've been thinking about it some more and I really think this would be the best thing for TUS leagues going forward.

As with tournaments and cups, allow users to register their own leagues. Have it similar to cups where maybe 6-8 are active at any one time. The host of the cup can set the scheme (or schemes) and add any prizes that they want to. If say, 10 people sign up as interested then the league season will start, after which anyone can play and report games. If a league is inactive or a mod has gone AWOL it can be closed and a new league can start.

This way the league schemes will be determined based on their actual popularity on wormnet. If enough people want a mole shopper league, and someone can host it, fine. People want Aerial? Why not. If Senator or someone wants to host a league of classic schemes with cash prizes, great. Everyone can play what they want, and we'll see which kinds of leagues / schemes are the most popular and produce the most fun / competitive battles.

I'm sure we'd have a lot more league games played on tus than there is at the moment, and is surely worth a try rather than debating on the forums as to which schemes should be played, when no one is ever going to agree?

What do you think?

Offline TheKomodo

Honestly that's the best idea i've heard for years.

Let's do it!

Offline sock

sdfsdf
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 01:37 AM by oldsock »

Offline WTF-8

And then every league matters less and less, and so is the victory.
*shrugs*
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline spleen17

A league for every scheme? Or allowing anyone to make their own league, if 100 people made just 1 league for every person, that would be 100 leagues.............. Seems like a lot of leagues and a lot of confusion... Then again maybe more people would play if there were 1,000 leagues.

As I said, there would be a set number open at any one time, as with cups. Inactive leagues will be closed and replaced with new ones that are waiting to be approved.

And then every league matters less and less, and so is the victory.
*shrugs*

Some can be sponsored with money prizes to increase interest. Maybe not every league will be successful but there are a few schemes that plenty of people would like to play in leagues. It's not like there is a lot of people playing league games as it is... *shrugs*

Honestly that's the best idea i've heard for years.

Let's do it!

Thanks! I think it has the potential to be a lot of fun in what could be WA's final few years of activity.

Offline Godmax

Ofc nonames like Walrus for example cant host their own bongshit that would be the end of Worms

Offline Sensei

Yeah, I'd love to host Aerial league. Would be great. And I'm sure sock would like to have ttrr league, senator would be happy for elite league.. How would we even start, and how much ppl would wait to get their leagues hosted?

In the end, we would do what we were trying to avoid in all of previous conversations - divide players.
Could be the key to revival, also could be the key for quicker death.

Offline spleen17

Yeah, I'd love to host Aerial league. Would be great. And I'm sure sock would like to have ttrr league, senator would be happy for elite league.. How would we even start, and how much ppl would wait to get their leagues hosted?

My suggestion would be to approve them as we do cups, so as long as there are not too many leagues currently running they could get started fairly quickly.

We could also require say, 10 people to sign up as 'Interested' before it starts, just to make sure there is adequate interest. Then once it starts anyone can join and play at will. Moderators will be able to set season length (2 or 3 months max), and whether or not playoffs are to be included.

In the end, we would do what we were trying to avoid in all of previous conversations - divide players.
Could be the key to revival, also could be the key for quicker death.

I think players are pretty divided already, at least this way everyone can play what they want. And I think that if some leagues become very fun and competitive then it may even attract more players who previously weren't too interested in a certain scheme.

It will also get more casual players into TUS. Even if they sign up just to play mole shoppers they will still see the other games on the site and may decide to start playing these too.

Offline TheWalrus

I always thought it would be cool if there was ladders for an individual scheme, but we are probably way past the point where activity would necessitate a ladder.

Offline TheKomodo

Yeah we shouldn't worry about things being divided by this point, everything is already divided.

Only way to prevent the division would be to force everyone to play just a few things, and forcing people isn't very nice.

Having them moderated like Cups as spleen17 suggests solves the problem of too many Leagues, and a League could only start if it had a minimum of 8 players or something also.

I don't see this as having any drawbacks personally, only paranoia if anything.

Offline Sensei

Walrus pointed out on biggest problem and that is lack of players. Even if we get those leagues active, it will be few players each playing their own, against each other..  Until they get fed up beating/losing to same ppl over and over again. It will be sad to see already small number of enthusiasts being torned apart in 6-7 ways.

But yeah sure, count me in.. Gonna at least do some competitive Aerial where league system won't give me 10pts for win and take 70 for loss.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 05:56 PM by Sensei »

Offline skunk3

There isn't enough in-game activity to justify any of this.

People barely play TUS these days and it is well-established, so how does one expect for a new league (or several leagues) to gain traction and become popular?

As I've said before, it doesn't matter what grand ideas people come up with if people aren't playing the game.

Offline sock

sadfgasdg
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 01:38 AM by oldsock »

Offline Sensei

There's guy that streams Worms every few days.. Gets 3000+ live viewers.

Getting in contact with him and kindly ask him to do a favour for our community (don't know how we should do this, but WE SHOULD) could send a wave of big number new ppl at us. All he'd need to do would be to host one of Worms streamers when his stream is over. So those 3000+ ppl would get transfered in one of ours twitch channels to see art in action. Rope race, elites, kaos...

All kinds of schemes and tactics that they never thought this old game could contain. If 50 out of those 3000 ppl decides to get in #ag tomorrow, in order to practice and bond with community, we pretty much succeed in keeping W:A alive. Let's be honest, they come on this guy's stream to watch him play, not to watch Worms.. But if we get a chance to show them around, 50 out of 3000 doesn't seem unreal!

*p.s. for every smartass that thinks this is just me trying to self-promote, you're wrong! Personally, I would like Walrus to do this. If he's not able to gather few new faces, while narrating Worms action with few witty comments, no one is.

Offline sock

asdghasdhasdh
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 01:38 AM by oldsock »