Forums
March 29, 2024, 08:12 AM

Author Topic: Arch and Mexi  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Kangaroo

Arch and Mexi
« on: February 07, 2014, 08:49 AM »
Whats the differance between Arch and Mexi

jpg images

I can play CUP games  07:00-12:00 GMT weeksdays &  00:00-13:00 GMT on weekends...

Offline j0hny

Re: Arch and Mexi
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 08:58 AM »
Whats the differance between Arch and Mexi

Mexi is bigger i mean mexi doing on a broader map, arch, for example on the pole :)

on this we do mexi

and on this we do arch

:))
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 09:01 AM by j0hny »
If you wanna play cup or something, Im at the email: lukaszmok21@gmail.com sound on my phone.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) \(ツ)/ (╯°□°)

Offline avirex

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 10:51 AM »
Another w2 post for everyone :)

they are the same move... w2 called it arch, wa calls it mexi

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 05:08 PM »

:D

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 03:46 AM »
Step aside everyone, style contest judge coming through!

Traditionally, on WA, a Mexican Flip was an Arch done from one extreme side of a Roper map island to the other extreme side of that same island. The name came from a bunch of the early Mexican ropers (most likely people like c0o1 and MeX and PunkmaN and whoever else was in the T5X clan later on) being the first ones to practice the trick deliberately, although it bears mentioning that Roper maps back then almost exclusively consisted of two clearly separate islands, as with the 2hooks map in Twy's GIF, so it was very easy to tell Arches from Mexis. These days, with the floating island clusterf@#! being a common sight on Warmer maps, the old Mexi definition might not be as relevant anymore.

Offline Kangaroo

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 08:26 AM »
So we got people saying its the same thing and people saying its differant. I thought it had something to do with the way you launch.

jpg images

I can play CUP games  07:00-12:00 GMT weeksdays &  00:00-13:00 GMT on weekends...

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 09:24 AM »
For me Arch is a tiny Mexi :)

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline Anubis

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 11:04 AM »
For me warming is not about single moves, it's about the whole turn.

Offline Prankster

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Step aside everyone, style contest judge coming through!

Traditionally, on WA, a Mexican Flip was an Arch done from one extreme side of a Roper map island to the other extreme side of that same island. The name came from a bunch of the early Mexican ropers (most likely people like c0o1 and MeX and PunkmaN and whoever else was in the T5X clan later on) being the first ones to practice the trick deliberately, although it bears mentioning that Roper maps back then almost exclusively consisted of two clearly separate islands, as with the 2hooks map in Twy's GIF, so it was very easy to tell Arches from Mexis. These days, with the floating island clusterf@#! being a common sight on Warmer maps, the old Mexi definition might not be as relevant anymore.

Sorry for the n00b question, but what is the "extreme side" of a roper map island? Also what's arch in this terminology?

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 09:31 PM »
The extreme left side of a Roper map island would be the left-most point of that island where a rope can be attached (while still allowing for the trick in question to be done). On the right one of the two islands on Vahagn's NR5 map, the extremes would be these two points:

The definition of an Arch would then be this same trick, except done between two rope attachment points that aren't the extreme points of any island. Then you just need to modernise the definition of Mexi to include flips across more than a single island and make an exception for "islands" that are simply poles, like for example the four little things sticking from the ground on this map. Those would be Arches even though technically, the poles are islands too.

And then you're pretty much set, as long as you don't expect roping to be an exact science. In practice, everything is more a matter of degrees and momentary inspiration, like Anubis points out, but I think it's also nice to have the community agree on the theory behind it all, just so roping discussions can be a bit more clear.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:33 PM by KoreanRedDragon »

Offline Mayhem

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 05:57 AM »
You owe my $5 Pizza!
BRING IT ON!!!!

Offline Kangaroo

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 12:04 PM »
You owe my $5 Pizza!
shuv it up ya arse

jpg images