Forums
March 28, 2024, 06:36 PM

Author Topic: Best overall keyboard for roping in Worms Armageddon?  (Read 3557 times)

Offline AduN

• Chile Chile
  • hai2u!!1!:)
    • View Profile
    • my page
Re: Best overall keyboard for roping in Worms Armageddon?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 11:45 PM »
cherry mx red switches and a couple of o-rings in space.

cheap and simple.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 01:17 AM »

cheap and simple.
listen to adun

wormers keep on looking for a keyboard that will fix their timing mistakes

only practice makes you better, not keyboards

everyone is looking for a shortcut but there isn't one

Offline Sensei

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 06:00 AM »

cheap and simple.

How do you mean "couple" of o-rings..
Isn't spacebar equipped with only 1 switch? Which would mean only 1 o-ring as well!?

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2019, 10:25 AM »
2 o-rings, m8

at this point, you may as well look at mx silent red or healios

Offline Kradie

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2019, 05:16 PM »

cheap and simple.
listen to adun

Long ago back in the early 2000, I used regular plastic keyboard for roping and never gave a thought to it. There were no words about what keyboard you had, it was just about how good you were.  My roping was fine, and over time my skills Improved. It was a unconscious acceptance to adapt to what you had.

Four years ago I still used a normal cheap plastic keyboard, and then something happened to it, so I had to get a new one. I still didn't care and thought about expensive keyboards, latency, etc, so I got myself a wireless keyboard. It worked well, I was happy with it, I adapted and mastered to its full potential as I did with my predecessors. By then people were raging on and on about mechanical keyboards, it was on worms, and youtube etc. So I thought to myself ''Why the hell not?'' so I Invested in a mechanical keyboard, with romer-g switches and I was surprised over how much I Improved, and I found myself I could even Improve more.

Unfortunately, one of the key switches broke, I was forced with 2 options; 1. Order a new keycap, and switch, dissemble the keyboard, remove switch, place new switch in and solden it. 2. Buy new one. I took my bet on the latter, and Invested in a new mechanical keyboard with red switches. My skills were dramatically reduced, my roping abilities became unstable & slow due to the spacebar. The spacebar is somewhat wobbly and overly sensitive. It is difficult to gain momentum and maintain speed. Sometime the rope shoots twice in a millisecond, or unwillingly. Sure, one could argue ''That's something to master'', but to that I say ''No''.- I have already mastered roping to a certain extent that I can feel comfortable at.

So I decided first time in my life to use wkRemapKeys. I switched spacebar to ctrl and capslock. My skills improved to its former glory, stable rope, acceleration and scrolls. Confidence was restored, and I was happy. Still, I need to get used to it, it feels odd.

Perhaps it is not about the switches, but how the keyboard is put together. Regardless, spacebar is worthless for roping on my current keyboard. And in the end, it does matter what keyboard you use and how much time you are willing to invest to master it.  It is not like a noob turns into the best roper around given the right keyboard, all equipment takes time to overcome its potential.  No matter if it is cheap or not.

Thanks for the replies nice people, I will take your feedback into consideration when I decide to get another keyboard :)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 05:20 PM by Kradie »
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Anubis

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2019, 09:46 PM »

cheap and simple.
listen to adun

Long ago back in the early 2000, I used regular plastic keyboard for roping and never gave a thought to it. There were no words about what keyboard you had, it was just about how good you were.  My roping was fine, and over time my skills Improved. It was a unconscious acceptance to adapt to what you had.

Four years ago I still used a normal cheap plastic keyboard, and then something happened to it, so I had to get a new one. I still didn't care and thought about expensive keyboards, latency, etc, so I got myself a wireless keyboard. It worked well, I was happy with it, I adapted and mastered to its full potential as I did with my predecessors. By then people were raging on and on about mechanical keyboards, it was on worms, and youtube etc. So I thought to myself ''Why the hell not?'' so I Invested in a mechanical keyboard, with romer-g switches and I was surprised over how much I Improved, and I found myself I could even Improve more.

Unfortunately, one of the key switches broke, I was forced with 2 options; 1. Order a new keycap, and switch, dissemble the keyboard, remove switch, place new switch in and solden it. 2. Buy new one. I took my bet on the latter, and Invested in a new mechanical keyboard with red switches. My skills were dramatically reduced, my roping abilities became unstable & slow due to the spacebar. The spacebar is somewhat wobbly and overly sensitive. It is difficult to gain momentum and maintain speed. Sometime the rope shoots twice in a millisecond, or unwillingly. Sure, one could argue ''That's something to master'', but to that I say ''No''.- I have already mastered roping to a certain extent that I can feel comfortable at.

So I decided first time in my life to use wkRemapKeys. I switched spacebar to ctrl and capslock. My skills improved to its former glory, stable rope, acceleration and scrolls. Confidence was restored, and I was happy. Still, I need to get used to it, it feels odd.

Perhaps it is not about the switches, but how the keyboard is put together. Regardless, spacebar is worthless for roping on my current keyboard. And in the end, it does matter what keyboard you use and how much time you are willing to invest to master it.  It is not like a noob turns into the best roper around given the right keyboard, all equipment takes time to overcome its potential.  No matter if it is cheap or not.

Thanks for the replies nice people, I will take your feedback into consideration when I decide to get another keyboard :)

Amen to that, I have some real shitty kbs in the cellar that I grabbed for free/1$ each just to test them for roping from a flea market, and by god... a few of them are so bad I could turn Mablak into Peja instantly, it's magic. :D

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2019, 10:22 PM »
a few of them are so bad I could turn Mablak into Peja instantly

:D

I love how Peja is still the standard example of bad roping ahahaha.

If I recall correctly, he started getting much better though, but the # of times i've heard Peja mentioned in that kind of reference, it's a pro meme :D

Offline Sir-J

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2019, 11:00 PM »
-
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 05:40 AM by Rudolf289 »

Offline Ytrojan

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2019, 11:20 PM »
Cherry MY! All hail the wet newspaper gods!

In all seriousness, though, I'd use a retro Alps SKCM keyboard. Use a PS2 to USB converter if you have a modern PC. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with a Rubber Dome keyboard that is hindering my performance.
Imagine What a Buck Could Do!

I now declare a brand new league (and the successor to the failed Ultra League): WormsRF!

Offline Sensei

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2019, 11:48 PM »

Similar story. I've used membranes my whole life for everything. Last 2 years it was Logitech k120. What a keyboard! For 15$ you get all you need.
15 days ago I joined the hype and bought first mechanical (hyperX alloy, cherry red switches)

Divided in opinion. In some situations i lost (speed, responsivity, tapping) but in some it was a major win (rope control, kicks, power spikes..)

There's situations where new kb just don't release the rope. That's why I mentioned responsitivity as a loss. And no, it's not the timing. It just stops. On a cheap membrane whenever i failed, i knew it's my fault.. But now I'm standing there and thinking wtf just happened. Not even going fast, just regular wall to wall attaches and slow climbs that all of us can do blindfolded.. I see my worm just smashing the wall when key is obviously pressed for rope release.

Don't know how and why, but it's happening at least once per game and it's bothering me. Will order o-rings and install them on switches hoping it will solve the problem, but not too optimistic.

For everything else, mech beats membrane easily.. But i'll purchase another logitech k120, just to have it around.. Advise you all to do the same. Awesome cheap product.

2 o-rings, m8

Yeah, I've noticed adun already said couple of o-rings. My question was how and why couple if keyboards are equipped with 1 switch on space bar. Isn't it 1 o-ring per switch?

There's probably only a handful of mech keyboards that have layout with divided spacebar (2 switches).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 12:37 AM by Sensei »

Offline AduN

• Chile Chile
  • hai2u!!1!:)
    • View Profile
    • my page
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2019, 02:31 AM »
couple of orings

Offline Sensei

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2019, 02:55 AM »
couple of orings

Adun, you crafty mothertrucker. I didn't know it's possible to put more than 1 per key. Will try this when they arrive. Thx

Offline skunk3

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2019, 10:04 PM »

cheap and simple.
listen to adun

I agree 100%. As long as the keyboard doesn't have keylock/ghosting or whatever, you can do just as well with a cheap keyboard as you can with an expensive 'gamer' keyboard. It is practice/experience/skill that makes the difference, not the keyboard. Having a good keyboard might make a tiny bit of difference but mostly it's just all in one's head. Besides, W:A is not very competitive these days anyway so spending a bunch of cash on an expensive keyboard JUST for Worms is kinda silly IMO.

Offline Sir-J

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 12:21 PM »
-
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 05:45 AM by Rudolf289 »