Forums
April 24, 2024, 02:57 AM

Author Topic: Clean design of WormNet and HostingBuddy using knowledge from WA behavior  (Read 969 times)

Offline Balt

Hello everyone,

I have thought about ways how can be WormNet server with HostingBuddy be implemented cleanly without a need to look at CyberShadow's WormNet code. Since it is purely meant to communicate with Worms Armageddon software to allow online gameplay, all that matters is how WA deals with data on wire.

Most effective option would be directly looking at WA executable code section and then use gathered knowledge to code a server that is aware of what is going on on other side of wire. Problem with this option is necessity of WA license agreement direct violation.

Other ways come with risk your server would not be aware of aspects that can crash the game and who would use that software anyway.

I have played with Project X file editors which are not copyrighted by owner, so no legal problems with reverse engineering. I used obtained knowledge to get certain Project X schemes working on my environment and do not break anything else.

I direct following question at CyberShadow. What you are allowed to do with Worms Armageddon software and how are you willing to assist on these legal obstacles?

Balt

-----

Edit:

Above question applies as well to Deadcode and others who have developed Worms Armageddon. I edited this post at November 06, 2017 and have not received any comments since November 01. If there would be no demand to play Worms Armageddon online, I would offer nothing.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 12:29 PM by Balt »

Offline Thewolensheep

• The MEGA retard.

• United States United States
  • A f@$!%$! loser.
    • View Profile
Good idea.
Creates soundbanks and other s!@t.

Offline h3oCharles

Take a look at what Snoopers can currently offer. Notice how the bulk of the interface is similar to WA's in-game WormNET