Forums
March 29, 2024, 11:01 AM

Author Topic: Crate Before Attack - New Shopper Game  (Read 6043 times)

Offline Sensei

Re: Crate Before Attack - New Shopper Game
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 03:03 AM »
You did what team17's whole dev team f@#!ed up

Fun fact.. He told me it took him 3 months :D

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 05:19 AM »
This better not be Rope Clash Reborn. We don't need more of these atrocities.

Otherwise, it looks good. Keep up the good work.
Rope Clash kicks ass. Did you ever even try it?

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 10:23 AM »
You did what team17's whole dev team f@#!ed up

Fun fact.. He told me it took him 3 months :D

I think usually it does take initial 3-6 months to build up features with the progress visible to others, then the rest of the time is usually the "boring" task of fixing bugs.  :D

koalefant joined my discord like 3 months ago as well and I'm kind of scared to think what this can turn into in the future.  :-[

Yet we've been talking about various ways on implementing rope mechanics and shared other programming ideas, lets hope this can turn into cooperation.

We're the roping syndicate now.  ::)

Offline Kradie

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 10:31 AM »
This better not be Rope Clash Reborn. We don't need more of these atrocities.

Otherwise, it looks good. Keep up the good work.
Rope Clash kicks ass. Did you ever even try it?
There wasn't a need for me to try it. To hand over personal data to someone who practice shady schemes, and fleeing in the name of criticisms. Everyone need their safe space these days, what he hell happened? His/her/it/theirs game looked very generic compared to WA. But I give Rope Clash credit for trying, it is nice  to play rope on phone.

CrateBeforeAttack looks alright, it depends on how THIS author decides to approach the monetization aspect of the game.
A game can look beautiful like Star Wars BattleFront 2, but it can also end up being a money slot machine with surprise mechanics.

If I were to make a rope/worms based game, and presented it to the worms community. I would take all the critique of my game, accept it, and work on it. Not to flee, tweet about how abusive everyone were. That's not how I roll, I roll mostly with the flow. I also would probably add donation links, and perhaps ask a price for the game if it were to be released in full state. That's about it.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2020, 07:58 PM »
tweet about how abusive everyone were.

:D :D :D

That's the modern equivalent of when I was at school and someone said "I'm telling my daddy on you!" ahahaha

Offline Senator

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 07:26 AM »
Have you guys even tried the WMD rope? :D

The way the frog bounces off of a wall is better in this game and similar to WA. The rope itself is however closer to WA in WMD (pretty much 1:1 since they took the source code from WA). In this game you get a weird kick in the direction you are extending when you release the rope. This is apparent when you try to do a shadow.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10:13 PM by Senator »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2020, 10:02 PM »
Have you guys even tried the WMD rope? :D

Yeah, but meh...

Offline Sensei

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2020, 03:45 AM »
I was fooling around a bit in training mode to see how rope handles It's pretty fun and addicting, gotta admit. In a short amount of time you managed to achieve this much, hats off!

Maybe you can allow players to choose which difficulty of training challenge they wanna have. Even with failing and trying out rope physics, this was pretty easy to do (attachment). Most ropers around here would be able to do this training course till infinity or till their hand starts falling apart, which is making it bit boring.

Still, enjoyable game. Wish you gl in further work!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:49 AM by Sensei »

Offline Anubis

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2020, 09:36 AM »
Just realized how hard-wired my brain is to expect W:A physics. Took me a while to adapt, especially shadows are "reversed" so to speak. Tapping seems pointless to build any speed or momentum. Those are issues from me tho, not the game itself. Totally serviceable rope mechanic unlike T17 attempts.

Offline Sir-J

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2020, 11:12 AM »
-
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 05:43 AM by Rudolf289 »

Offline Sensei

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2020, 01:52 PM »
Hmm, I didn't notice any difficulty of making the tricks. Especially shadows and spikes. Although - double shadows in this game. Especially love the mechanics where you point a direction of flight and frog goes faster there. That's something new and in need of mastering, but I dig the variety game offers while maintaining Worms feeling.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2020, 04:32 PM »
Someone with a twitter acct should start tweeting this at team17 official twitter

#RealWorms2020

Too bad we don't have a sackful of cash to dev this game with, this is the era of a resurgence of 2D games
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:35 PM by TheWalrus »

Offline StepS

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2020, 10:24 PM »
You can import any PNG map made for WA as long as it's 1920x696 or slightly bigger. Also, it appears that not every map works (frogs don't spawn). Luckily there are lots of maps to choose from.
Very big RR works for me and you can choose to have x1 or x2 scaling. But sometimes it will not load correctly, this is not exactly due to the map size.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline koalefant

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2020, 03:35 PM »
I messed up my forum notifications, so answering late, my apologies. Thanks for all the compliments, feedback keeps me going! ;D

it's ironic this game doesn't enforce the rule of its title
I have this on my list, the game requires a bit of leniency and responsible players at this point. ;)

I do really enjoy roping in this game, except I can't seem to do any rope tricks, i.e. shadow, spike, pump and so forth. Nevermind, after a little bit of practice I managed to do shadow, spike and kicks. Definitely takes some getting used to!
I am the point where my personal roping skill (lack of it) prevents me from improving controls further. If you could pinpoint what difference exactly makes it challenging - I would be glad to address it.

Maybe you can allow players to choose which difficulty of training challenge they wanna have. Even with failing and trying out rope physics, this was pretty easy to do (attachment). Most ropers around here would be able to do this training course till infinity or till their hand starts falling apart, which is making it bit boring.
You guys are so much better at roping than I am! :D I get can get 12 crates at most with current settings.  :-X  I will try to balance this to be more enjoyable for a good roper. Thanks for mentioning!

CrateBeforeAttack looks alright, it depends on how THIS author decides to approach the monetization aspect of the game.
A game can look beautiful like Star Wars BattleFront 2, but it can also end up being a money slot machine with surprise mechanics.

If I were to make a rope/worms based game, and presented it to the worms community. I would take all the critique of my game, accept it, and work on it. Not to flee, tweet about how abusive everyone were. That's not how I roll, I roll mostly with the flow. I also would probably add donation links, and perhaps ask a price for the game if it were to be released in full state. That's about it.
THIS author does not really have any monetization plan yet, but he certainly would like to avoid any schemes that are offensive to an experienced player, no mechanic similar to Pay-or-Wait or Pay-to-Win will land in the game.

I am eager to get ANY feedback, I can't promise to fix/implement everything, but if you would like to influence development - you're very welcome to give feedback. I have no problems with critical feedback or people disliking things. That is the only way to make it better.

Very big RR works for me and you can choose to have x1 or x2 scaling. But sometimes it will not load correctly, this is not exactly due to the map size.
If you know of a map that breaks - feel free to send me a link, I am interested in having more content playable.
Working on a Shopper-inspired game about frogs: https://CrateBeforeAttack.com

Offline koalefant

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2020, 03:51 PM »
There is another Alpha Update online at https://cratebeforeattack.com/play, here is what changed since my first post:
  • Race mode: a player can now choose different game rules, and there is now a Race mode available. It is bare-bone, there is no bundled racing map yet. I am curious what you think of it...
  • Switched over from Vorbis to Opus as Vorbis is not supported by Safari
  • Fixed occasional crash during tongue elongation/contraction
  • Fixed collision with newly placed projectiles
  • Consume F-keys and Backspace, so pressing F5 does not reload the page anymore (where possible)
  • Controls: reverse swing direction when upside-down
  • Increased network buffer size by 50% to reduce interruptions on bad connections

Any way you could add that? I'd get into this!
I hope that is what you expected.
Working on a Shopper-inspired game about frogs: https://CrateBeforeAttack.com