Forums
March 29, 2024, 11:20 AM

Author Topic: Crates and weapons delay  (Read 8278 times)

Offline XanKriegor

Re: Crates and weapons delay
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2017, 11:55 AM »
Was not it a 90" rope release? If so, fail is fully deserved.

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2017, 12:30 PM »

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2017, 05:59 AM »
Bit harsh from korydex, but made a point. You're never online, Extremist. Don't say it's cause of the bugs involving W:A. Because it's not. Would be nice to know about the progress of 4.0, for sure.. But they don't owe it to anyone here, especially not to inactive players.

Fair ball. I've been preoccupied the last couple of years playing console games, often timesinks like Elder Scrolls, Zelda, and Smash Bros. When I do use my PC, 99% of the time it's for non-gaming activities. I still love WA, and check in here often.

I keep looking forward to the next update because I want the game to be the best it can be. I have symbolic reasons as well. An update is a sign of life, a sign of continuation. There's something endearing about a game from 1999 still managing to be one of the most hardcore, competitive games on the market. I'm a big fan of games from that era. I also post on forums for GoldenEye 007 and Halo: Combat Evolved.

I'm almost through with my console timesinks, and am in the process of upgrading my PC to run Planet Coaster. Both will lead to me playing more WA, update or not.

Oh, and thank you for checking in, CyberShadow. It's not a super detailed progress report, but something is all that I wanted.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 06:07 AM by The Extremist »

Offline Masta

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2017, 11:56 AM »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:39 PM by Masta »

Offline KinslayeR

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2017, 12:18 PM »
I agree, this is totally ice cream bug and should be deleted in next update.
I cant even do swimming gorilla coz that bug

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2017, 02:12 PM »
Nice tool. Yes, video was not frame perfect.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2017, 08:12 PM »
I am not asking too much. In fact, I am asking for next to nothing. Yet, as I have been previously in this thread, I fully expect to be harangued again for not treating DC & CS like gods who can do no wrong, just because they're volunteers. It is not written anywhere that volunteers can not be called out for a lack of communication or not be compared to other volunteers in similar situations that communicate much better (see my prior post about MarathonMan, who continues to consistently update about his slow progress).

Hi,

The state of the update is essentially "when it's ready" taken too far. Almost everyone involved with the updates one way or another agrees that it should have been released a long time ago. It has been very demotivating for me as well to have my work from many years ago to still not have seen the light of day.

This is why we agreed that Worms Armageddon v3.8 will be released not later than December 31, 2017 (plus however long Team17's release process takes), ready or not. Unfinished features will be cut, buggy or insufficiently tested changes reverted. There are already many good changes queued to make a great update. I will do my best to ensure this happens personally.
That's really great to hear!!!! I'm sure the update will deliver a big infusion of old players back to the community. Can we anticipate any new features, or is it mainly bugfixes? As far as I can remember there hasn't been much information about the contents of the 3.8 update.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:48 AM by j0e »

Offline Deadcode

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2017, 03:14 AM »
Any chance this bug will be fixed? https://www.tus-wa.com/files/file-699/
The freezing rope bug is especially annoying in Big Rope Race.

The bug froze the rope at 90° so yes the rope was released at 90°, but the fail is not deserved. In this case you can not visually see the rope freezing. The angle of the subsequent rope shot is calculated at the frame of the rope releasing and here the rope freeze bug occurs at the same frame the rope releases.

The bug replay you linked to (with its accompanying discussion thread) and YouTube video look completely unrelated. Without seeing the original replay file I can't be 100% sure, but it looks to me like the rope was indeed released pointing straight up.

W:A's rope and projectile physics both have many calculations happen between frames. The last rope angle rendered before releasing the rope is never the same as the angle at which the next rope will be shot, unless the rope is perfectly still when released. This is because the rope internally undergoes a frame worth of motion before being released. If you had actually done a quick test under normal circumstances, instead of making assumptions on how the game works, you would have seen this.

It looks like you took those screenshots from the original replay file, not the YouTube video, as I see no compression artifacts. In any case, screenshots and video are of very limited usefulness for analysis. The replay file is needed.

If you really think there's a bug going on, then post a replay file, not a video, and I will analyze it. But I think what is going on here is just bad timing by the player, resulting in a well-deserved fail.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:36 AM by Deadcode »

Offline Masta

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2017, 02:11 PM »

Offline Deadcode

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2017, 02:54 PM »
[attachment=1]

Thank you! And wow, I am surprised. There actually is some of that bug going on here. The rope froze for about 1/2 a frame.

So, I wasn't planning on fixing this bug before (I thought it to be an obscure glitch that almost never happened, and was fun when it did) but now I see that it definitely needs to be fixed, and will do so!

Edit: However, this will probably be the biggest change I've ever made to the rope physics, in that it may actually alter the feel a little bit. There's a chance some experienced ropers may have subconsciously adapted to this glitch by anticipating how the rope sometimes moves less when it's snagged and vertical.

Edit 2:
On second thought, ropers probably haven't adapted to this glitch, even subconsciously, given that it's apparently such a common choke. I do feel nervous about changing it though! Years ago there was a thread about how people thought the WWP rope felt different than the W:A rope. I then proved that it was identical by patching the WWP EXE to record replay data, and playing it back in W:A with no desynchronization. So it seems the difference in feel, if there was one, was probably from my improvements to the calculation of in-game passage of time – it used to use GetTickCount() and I changed it to use QueryPerformanceCounter(), along with other improvements.

Since then I did make some subtle changes to the rope physics, like the fix in v3.6.23.0, "In free space, the worm would always be shifted approximately one pixel up and to the left every time the rope caught", and others. This rope freeze fix will be the least subtle so far. (Note, there's also another related glitch, in which the rope "speeds up" upon hitting a snag. I'll preserve that one. If I ever do anything to change it, it'll just be to make it behave more predictably.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:23 PM by Deadcode »

Offline Masta

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2017, 03:28 PM »

Offline Deadcode

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2017, 04:24 PM »
No, thank you. I know a lot of people who will be happy to see this bug gone. You and CS are the best, man.
And sorry about the wrongful assumptions and generally just being too overconfident in this thread.

Thanks, and apology accepted!

Offline skunk3

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2017, 07:13 PM »
Personally, I've never found this 'bug' to be much of an issue. Whenever a failure such as that happens to me, I just assume that it is because of my bad timing and nothing more. Fixing a very occasional half-frame rope bug might be a good thing but ONLY if it doesn't drastically change the feel of the rope overall. I have definitely adapted to this bug, and years ago. It is frustrating when it happens, but it is definitely avoidable.

On the topic of 4.0 - I gotta say that I am a bit confused here. Deadcode, you said that 4.0 was essentially ready and has been for a long time, yet it hasn't been released. On the other hand, you mentioned releasing 3.8 before Q1 2018. You also said that there's probably some authorization that needs to be done by Team17 before 'approving' the patch or whatever. Why does Team17 even need to do anything? They haven't been involved with this game in any way that I know of for ages now. The only thing they've done any time recently is make W:A available for sale on Steam. Furthermore, if almost "everyone involved" (quote) agrees that it should have been released long ago, what is the hold up? Who is the person or persons making this decision? There's been talk of 4.0 for many years now (this thread attests to that), so what's the deal? Please know that I am not being snarky or pushy here; I am just genuinely curious because an update might be the impetus needed for many absentee players to start playing again.

In short, if 4.0 is finished, why not release it and skip 3.8 entirely?

Regardless of all that, I am really excited to see a new update and cannot wait to see a list of fixes / additions / etc. W:A is by far my favorite game of all time and I am extremely pleased that it is still being improved upon. Would it be too much to ask to know in advance what we can expect from 3.8/4.0? I don't mind waiting as long as I know what is coming, but waiting without knowing anything is kinda irritating. I think that my hopes are too high right now and I want to bring myself back down to Earth a bit so I don't expect any crazy shit, like Wormpot added, extra weapons and utilities, etc.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:25 PM by skunk3 »

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2017, 08:33 PM »
4.0 isnt done vince, dunno where you got that idea

Offline Deadcode

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2017, 08:53 PM »
I never said 4.0 was ready. Work on it hasn't even begun, let alone being ready.

(Edit: BTW, by an alternative definition of what counts as part of 4.0, CyberShadow has done a significant amount of work on the non-W:A-specific API aspects of it. To my way of thinking, though, "beginning work on 4.0" would mean working on W:A-specific aspects.)

There are a ton of finished features and fixes already implemented for 3.8, but release is blocked by some other things that aren't ready. I'm trying my best to make it ready, to meet the end-of-the-year deadline.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:16 PM by Deadcode »