Forums
April 16, 2024, 06:50 AM

Author Topic: Current status of the League  (Read 17713 times)

Offline Gabriel

• Slacker is a queefer

• Chile Chile
  • Might come back later idk
    • View Profile
Current status of the League
« on: July 23, 2018, 10:59 PM »
(This is the offtopic part of this topic)

Sometimes, I like sneaking into newcomers' games, just to talk / play / show them any moves.
Most of games go like this: everyone's silent, the usual "gl hf", nobody talks. If the host forgets to set !crate banana 0 in a Shopper, people start flaming.
People play intermediate, do some random moves. Silent games, nobody talks. Some people quit, etc.

What I want to say is, I don't see people trying to get "involved" with the community overall. I have mentioned, in several games, the existence of TUS. I rarely see any of the people register. People no longer try to take this game competitively; I heard from a close friend IRL, literally: "who'd want to play Leagues in such an old game, where I can barely find any hosts whenever I get on?"

What is the encouragement? I don't know, but I believe, we should reconsider: do we need a League anymore? Whatever schemes it had, we need to see if there is any will of competition coming from the community, and I don't think there's any.
Mole shopper is the worst thing in the world.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Current status of the League
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 11:39 PM »
I think people might play in a mole league with mole-only clans. Is it worth a try?

For that to work we'd need a competition bureau/monopoly-busting taskforce to avoid letting the best players all form into a single clan. That was what killed regular clanners.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 12:49 PM »

For that to work we'd need a competition bureau/monopoly-busting taskforce to avoid letting the best players all form into a single clan. That was what killed regular clanners.

That is actually just a consequence of lack of players. Obviously similar skilled players want to band together and that is usually no problem if the playerbase is healthy. But it is not, so 10 good players is already half or more of the active good players in a scheme. Some years ago there was no such thing as too many good players in a clan, most clans had a handful of very skilled players to relay on. Sure, TdC had phases with too many players overall but there were plenty of clans to play with.

Offline Senator

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 02:59 PM »
When TUS introduced separate leagues for rope and default, I joined games in AG and advertised the new leagues to random people. I did that for 1-2 months. A handful of players registered at TUS and some of them even played a game or two but that's it. Did people hate some of the schemes in rope/default or were they just not interested in league games? I don't know.

Offline HHC

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 05:04 PM »
A lot of people also aren't used to this kind of system anymore. Only a small portion plays for stuff like ESL or other gaming leagues outside the actual game. 'Ranked' play to some degree exists in nearly every game out there.
Plus, Worms has all these different schemes, which makes it a hassle to understand and master competition. I mean, which players play Elite or Roper nowadays? Zero to none outside of Tus.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 05:52 PM »
A lot of people also aren't used to this kind of system anymore. Only a small portion plays for stuff like ESL or other gaming leagues outside the actual game. 'Ranked' play to some degree exists in nearly every game out there.
Plus, Worms has all these different schemes, which makes it a hassle to understand and master competition. I mean, which players play Elite or Roper nowadays? Zero to none outside of Tus.

Good point, all the MP games have automatic match-making where you can play ranked without the hassle of a third party site. Sure there are 3rd party leagues for all the games but the majority play ranked in the game itself. The BEST patch would be an automatic match-making that let's you grind ranks online but that won't happen so in my opinion W:A will never get as competitive as it used to be no matter if you change the schemes or league structure.

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Yeah, calling us a low self esteem trash plus getting rid of us, and still cry for inactivity.
WaAaAaH! WhY WoRmS iS DyInG!?! WaAaAaH!

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 05:59 PM »
Yeah, calling us a low self esteem trash plus getting rid of us, and still cry for inactivity.
WaAaAaH! WhY WoRmS iS DyInG!?! WaAaAaH!

You mean, WAAAGH WAAAAGH, right?  :P

http://youtu.be/7D70lewiWWQ?t=127
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 06:01 PM by Anubis »

Offline skunk3

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 08:40 AM »
The only way W:A is going to become 'competitive' again is if people actually sign onto WormNET and start playing games. I haven't played this past week aside from like 2-3 rr's today but I've been pretty active for a little while and I rarely see any players of note online at any time of day. People can worry about league shit AFTER activity picks up. If people want to see this game get more active / competitive again they need to show some initiative by actually being present, not talking about it on a forum or idling on a snooper.

Offline Sbaffo

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 09:35 AM »
I know it's not really league related what im gonna say, but we had eac previously, why don't we make something like that but based on tus classic?

@Adnan hey did my post offend you? Huahauahau
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:41 AM by Sbaffo »

Offline Sensei

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 10:12 AM »
Last real fall of competitive TUS happened soon after MI stopped funding league. That's obvious. You can check activities of seasons around that time.

It wasn't realistic to expect MI to continue paying bunch of geezers to play 20yr old game. To bring back ppl in default/rope, make them pay buy-in. Like 5$ each. At the end of a season there will be enough money for rewards and what's left of it send to paypals of MI and other W:A ppl that deserved it for their contribution.

If 5$ for few months of season is too much for someone.. Then wow :D

Offline Sbaffo

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 11:37 AM »
If 5$ for few months of season is too much for someone.. Then wow :D

40$ would be a symbolic buy-in xd but also it would be to an huge prize

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 12:45 PM »
@Adnan hey did my post offend you? Huahauahau

What post?

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 12:46 PM »
That's a HUGE reason why I suggested going back to just 3 schemes, instead of having a selection of 8...

What is the biggest problem you ever saw while playing Leagues, it isn't activity, it's people avoiding, that's what pissed off most people.

Do you know how much it sucks when you are #1 at a scheme, and people wanna give you free wins cuz they just think they gonna lose, or they don't even respect the scheme you love enough to play it for 5-20 minutes, like Sbaffo couldn't find TTRR anywhere, that actually makes me feel crap he doesn't have his competition either...

Many of you, fair enough, disagree with a lot of what I say on these forums, nobody can say anything perfect on these forums, we all come against opposing arguements, but surely you can all agree with this statement - I love this game, and many of you do as well!

Even I, avoided schemes in the past, especially when it comes to Clanners, the simple reason is I love being so good at the schemes I love, and they take so much practise to stay at the top, I don't see myself as having enough time to be good enough to compete in all schemes, seriously... Even more these days because I am more active outside.

8 f**king schemes with the individual skillsets we have today, it's too much...

There are only really a handful of true all rounders who have the time to master everything and happily accept a challenge against anyone.

If you cut this league down to 3 schemes again, 3 schemes we know the majority of the WA community enjoy enough to play competitively, I think we could at least get enough activity to have anywhere between 25-100 players active which is better than right now it seems about 10 people.

I think we should have a rope scheme, a scheme with limited weapons and fast action that focuses on aiming/accuracy like BnG, but more modern, and a strategic scheme, just like the old days:

Rope - Big RR / WxW
Fast action, aiming/accuracy - Hysteria or Aerial
Strategic - Elite or Intermediate

These are the best schemes on Worms right now that I see most people agree are highly skilled, easy to learn, hard to master.

Do we even need Classic/Free league to stay when we have Tournaments and Cups available where people can play the other schemes they love like TTRR, Mole Shopper, Kaos etc...

Offline Senator

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 03:33 PM »
I know it's not really league related what im gonna say, but we had eac previously, why don't we make something like that but based on tus classic?

I was actually planning to host a cup similar to previous Elite Winter Cup but with 5 schemes.. "Allround Summer Cup" :) Last time we had +100$ prize pool.