Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:12 AM

Author Topic: Current status of the League  (Read 17443 times)

Offline Chicken23

Re: Current status of the League
« Reply #165 on: August 03, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Well it's just a suggestion it's not an obsession Ryan.

I just remember the days of 3 schemes in WACL and it was pretty awesome.

incorrect. WACL only had 3 schemes for the playoffs, as did all major leagues until FB and TUS and other ranked schemes.

WACL had bng, fort, rope, rr, t17, pro, elite.

CL2K was the same and didn't take long until shopper was added. Shortly after shopper i think WL, xtc and FB all accepted wxw as fort and pro died in popularity.

I'm on page 3 of this thread and still think my idea of a point based league and any pick would be the solutions. We could use the 3 scheme categories that Komodo is suggesting for the playoff picks perhaps?

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #166 on: August 03, 2018, 08:19 PM »
without being big headed, imagine how many more playoffs CKC might have won if po's were only 1 rope, bng and 1 default (this was elite, pro or t17) back in the day.

I think that playoff format might prove to be really motivational to the majority of players, i know for example coming up against good ropers that would own me in ttrr or roper, i'd still stand a chance in elite and bng. I might stand a chance in beating Random00 or Mablak in a playoff if i pulled off the elite and bng victory which i have done vs both in the past. If it was vs komodo, again i might fancy my chances of beating him in bng (he is better in bng than me usually but we've had amazingly close games) but the rope scheme if he went with rope i might stand a chance as i learnt league style with middle hides, being consistent and thinking of cr8 placements, i beat dibz in some tus ropers a few time :p Same with anubis, diana, darkz, almog any top allrounders that this game has seen.. infact my only league singles victory was on wwp against almog in final because i won the bng and elite. I can still remember some of the clanner 1 rope, bng and 1 default loses... the worst was to EiF and finding out years later that they cheated because MrRaja was using silkworm.  :( :(

So yes in a league situation i would totally favour the 3 playoff scheme options.

However that doesn't solve our current situation... which is activity of leagues and i think as i've said already this is down to either the oldschoolers coming back and playing again, or finding a way to motivate the new players of todays era into rank play.

Why don't we remove ratings? And add DONs and game limits? This would remove all the issues that Komodo pointed out, no avoiding would ever happen because;

a) you don't have a rating to risk if you lose (some good player avoid to keep their ratings if they were scared of losing to a better player)

b) you don't have to avoid if you don't like a scheme someone picks and you might lose because you can pick your prefer scheme and if you 1-1, both players either get 2 points, or you decide to make it 0-0.

I think this would let new players want to play because they could pick arial and mole shopper and still be rewarded for it, they might pick mole shop for all their picks in the league but at least they would be exposed to other more classic schemes, or different schemes that are not classic.

I admit it would need some thought to think it through, for example a ttrr is over in a few minutes and worth the same amount of points as a inter which could take hours if 3 rounds are used. But atleast it could bring everyone together and then we could pick a playoff system that follows the suggest model some people have mentioned of picking a rope based scheme, a default based scheme (elite, inter, t17), and an artillery based scheme, (bng, hysteria). Highest seed players pick first.

Suggested schemes accepted league schemes;

big rr
ttrr
(classic 30sec rr)
shopper
wxw
mole shopper
bng
super sheep racer (is this popular and would make new players want to take part?)
inter
elite
t17
hysteria
arial

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2018, 08:59 PM »
Wow really? I only ever saw people pick BnG Roper and Elite in WACL and CL2K back in 1999/2000...

I can't ever remember any those other schemes you mentioned being played, I didn't even know Forts was a thing back then in Leagues and didn't even think RR was invented till like 2000 or 2001 lol.

Perhaps that's part of the community I didn't see because I was so focused on Warmers and Ropers.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #168 on: August 03, 2018, 10:06 PM »
Wow really? I only ever saw people pick BnG Roper and Elite in WACL and CL2K back in 1999/2000...

I can't ever remember any those other schemes you mentioned being played, I didn't even know Forts was a thing back then in Leagues and didn't even think RR was invented till like 2000 or 2001 lol.

Perhaps that's part of the community I didn't see because I was so focused on Warmers and Ropers.

i think it was like, i could be wrong though as so long ago. HHC is probably only person who would remember that era from a league perspective now.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2018, 10:45 PM »
I can confirm Forts, I played that shit in leagues back then. It was very niche, similar to Pro and died out around 2002/3 in league environment. Sometimes people would pick and be surprised it was still officially supported lol. RR I actually don't remember in early leagues that much but that's probably because I didn't start to play RR until they introduced TTRR. I didn't really like the 30s/45s RR that much.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:53 PM by Anubis »

Offline HHC

« Reply #170 on: August 03, 2018, 10:49 PM »
I dunno. I can't recall doing fort or pro against really good clans, for the highest level. That by all means doesn't imply that I didn't actually play them.

I have a penis for a brain, and it's wee small  :(

Offline Ryan

« Reply #171 on: August 04, 2018, 01:29 AM »
I don't know if a steady league format would boost overall activity. It depends on what individuals want.

I miss paying competitive games. I think money does help. For example, I would happily re-learn and b07/b09 ttrr vs masta, or sbaffo for money and the streaming would entertain.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #172 on: August 04, 2018, 01:36 AM »
30s RR did exist in WL days.
Was the only scheme I could play in 2001 xD

Offline Senator

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #174 on: August 04, 2018, 01:59 PM »
So that was December 2000, wow...

I remember the day I discovered Worms Armageddon, it was also the first time I used a PC for games and discovered the internet, 12-17th June 1999...(Forget exact day now)

I remember that day clearly, with my mates John and Gary, it was hot, we were in shorts and t-shirts, my friend John told us about the "Interesk Cyber Cafe", I was like woah that sounds cool, so he took us there and I remember walking in just feeling this overwhelming sense of WOW!

So I walked up the corridor which had 5 computers, the 1st guy was playing Diablo, the next guy was playing Command & Conquer, then the guy who works there, Alex, was on the 3rd computer playing Worms and my eyes lit up, I was like "Hey, I have that on my Game Boy!", and since he was a like a youth worker he took interest and asked if I wanted to play so I took a seat and he joined a game in #AnythingGoes, at that point I was like, "Wait, are you playing this with other people??" he was like yeah, that guy is from UK, that guy is from US...

THAT! Blew my mind! So we started the game, I think it was Intermediate scheme or something, cuz we had special weapons and I had HHG, I actually won that game with the last move and took everyone out with the HHG! I was absolutely hooked, so I spent the whole summer at that cafe playing Worms for like 2-3 hours a day, it was a matter of weeks before I discovered Roper when I say "eliteboyz" who later became "TheSheriFF" roping, he wasn't the rope god he eventually became at that point but he was pretty good I remember feeling like it was the most awesome f@#!ing thing I ever saw in my life!

So yeah I started getting involved in Ropers then within days played my first Warmer, few months later I joined a clan but honestly forget which, or maybe that is when I made BDD - Bringers of Death and Destruction, Dodgefreak was in that clan with me, so was avatar and a few other pretty good players, I actually forget who was in that clan now...

So yeah I saw a lot of Elites and BnG being played in the Clanners I played/watched, but I never ever saw any other scheme being picked until around 2002+

Probably because I exclusively stuck to Rope for the first 4-5 years then switched exclusively to BnG until a few years into TuS where I started Roping again, but ever since I started playing BnG, i've never been as good in Rope as I was back then, i'm hoping to become even better than I was back then roping cross handed, but honestly I was doing a TT Big RR with blitz last night for like 6 hours straight and I only finished the map once, at my furthest point I was faster than blitz but honestly most turns I couldn't even last 20-30 seconds and I feel quite depressed I can't do it like I used to, but, it has only been about 6 weeks in total i've roped this way and it's a lot of fun, I forget it took almost 2 years to reach my peak when I first started so need to give my body time to adjust to swapping hands.

This is definitely interesting though, amazing to still learn history even having been there almost the entire time :)

Offline Anubis

« Reply #175 on: August 05, 2018, 12:56 AM »

I remember the day I discovered Worms Armageddon, it was also the first time I used a PC for games and discovered the internet, 12-17th June 1999...(Forget exact day now)

I remember that day clearly, with my mates John and Gary, it was hot, we were in shorts and t-shirts, my friend John told us about the "Interesk Cyber Cafe", I was like woah that sounds cool, so he took us there and I remember walking in just feeling this overwhelming sense of WOW!

So I walked up the corridor which had 5 computers, the 1st guy was playing Diablo, the next guy was playing Command & Conquer, then the guy who works there, Alex, was on the 3rd computer playing Worms and my eyes lit up, I was like "Hey, I have that on my Game Boy!", and since he was a like a youth worker he took interest and asked if I wanted to play so I took a seat and he joined a game in #AnythingGoes, at that point I was like, "Wait, are you playing this with other people??" he was like yeah, that guy is from UK, that guy is from US...

THAT! Blew my mind! So we started the game, I think it was Intermediate scheme or something, cuz we had special weapons and I had HHG, I actually won that game with the last move and took everyone out with the HHG! I was absolutely hooked, so I spent the whole summer at that cafe playing Worms for like 2-3 hours a day, it was a matter of weeks before I discovered Roper when I say "eliteboyz" who later became "TheSheriFF" roping, he wasn't the rope god he eventually became at that point but he was pretty good I remember feeling like it was the most awesome f@#!ing thing I ever saw in my life!

So yeah I started getting involved in Ropers then within days played my first Warmer, few months later I joined a clan but honestly forget which, or maybe that is when I made BDD - Bringers of Death and Destruction, Dodgefreak was in that clan with me, so was avatar and a few other pretty good players, I actually forget who was in that clan now...

So yeah I saw a lot of Elites and BnG being played in the Clanners I played/watched, but I never ever saw any other scheme being picked until around 2002+

Probably because I exclusively stuck to Rope for the first 4-5 years then switched exclusively to BnG until a few years into TuS where I started Roping again, but ever since I started playing BnG, i've never been as good in Rope as I was back then, i'm hoping to become even better than I was back then roping cross handed, but honestly I was doing a TT Big RR with blitz last night for like 6 hours straight and I only finished the map once, at my furthest point I was faster than blitz but honestly most turns I couldn't even last 20-30 seconds and I feel quite depressed I can't do it like I used to, but, it has only been about 6 weeks in total i've roped this way and it's a lot of fun, I forget it took almost 2 years to reach my peak when I first started so need to give my body time to adjust to swapping hands.

This is definitely interesting though, amazing to still learn history even having been there almost the entire time :)

I would love to time-travel back for one day and relive the experience back then. I think it would be awesome. Especially with all the knowledge you have now. :D

Offline skunk3

« Reply #176 on: August 05, 2018, 05:40 AM »

I would love to time-travel back for one day and relive the experience back then. I think it would be awesome. Especially with all the knowledge you have now. :D

Yeah, it'd be great to go back then and just demolish everyone lol

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2018, 06:10 AM »
skunk, honestly the old me would absolutely annihilate me now at rope hahaha!

Offline Sensei

« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2018, 06:49 AM »
We could use a pre-millenium section on tus. Some of you just going back with every chance you get :)

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #179 on: August 05, 2018, 06:54 PM »
...... so any opinions on my suggest. Lets stop reminiscing and work on a league format that would encourage activity and be open to today's current players but not exclude us old classic guys.